COVID-19 and sports: Latest news and information (updated)

Reck

Team Owner
Joined
Jun 16, 2006
Messages
26,266
Points
1,013
So MLB is really just committing to a slow suicidal death at this point, I guess.
You also have to blame the players too. They're not willing to play for less money which is ****** given the current world situation.

They deserve each other. lol
 

gnomesayin

Team Owner
Joined
Oct 14, 2013
Messages
6,500
Points
793
You also have to blame the players too. They're not willing to play for less money which is ****** given the current world situation.

They deserve each other. lol
I think prorated existing salaries is fair and reasonable in the context of MLB. What's the arrangement for NBA and NHL players? I know that's somewhat different, as their regular seasons were already about 75% complete.

MLB is not a league that can make a convincing argument that additional labor concessions are necessary to keep the doors open.
 

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
Joined
Feb 9, 2013
Messages
24,677
Points
883
Location
Florida
You also have to blame the players too. They're not willing to play for less money which is ****** given the current world situation.

They deserve each other. lol
I get it though, they’re being asked to play less than a pro-rated salary, like 72 games at the salary of about 50.

Ownership will probably just enact a 48-game season eventually if they actually have any interest at in getting this done, but that’s hardly a season to begin with. This whole season will be one big joke regardless.
 

Speedbowl14

Ryan Preece and short tracks
Joined
May 18, 2014
Messages
1,389
Points
343
Location
Connecticut
I've been somewhat following the MLB saga and lost all respect for players and owners. 15% of the country is unemployed, and the other 85% is starving for entertainment. And these owners and players are arguing with each other over amounts of money that will equate to how many Maserati's and Ferrari's they will be able to buy.

EVERYONE is making sacrifices- rich, poor, and middle-class, but they think they can live in a bubble where the dollars flow like wine and they're immune from public perception. **** 'em all
 

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
Joined
Feb 26, 2013
Messages
42,576
Points
883
Location
yoooklahoma
I've been somewhat following the MLB saga and lost all respect for players and owners. 15% of the country is unemployed, and the other 85% is starving for entertainment. And these owners and players are arguing with each other over amounts of money that will equate to how many Maserati's and Ferrari's they will be able to buy.

EVERYONE is making sacrifices- rich, poor, and middle-class, but they think they can live in a bubble where the dollars flow like wine and they're immune from public perception. **** 'em all
It's the reason why over 85% of them are broke within 5 years after they retire. A sports show came on after the re run of the Xfinity race and there was a guy there saying that they should listen to the ball players because they were some of the richest most affluent members of society. Yeah sure, I'm supposed to take most of em serious? People who have been molycoddled most of their whole life for the cash cows that they are?
 

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
Joined
Feb 9, 2013
Messages
24,677
Points
883
Location
Florida
Minor leaguers make poverty-level wages, starting salary for players on 40-man rosters is $46,000. Median salary is around $1.5M, with average careers lengths of five or so years and one in five players having a single-season career. There is a lot more at risk financially for the players than the owners; unfortunately, people mostly pay attention to the top end of the salary scale, which is skewed by guys like Trout and Stanton making ungodly sums of money annually. The PA exists to protect the players as a whole, though.
 

kkfan91

Taking a 10-200
Joined
Jun 13, 2009
Messages
15,427
Points
1,033
Location
PA
Players have an offer of 60 games on the table that they have to agree to by 5M today or they get nothing. What a ****show.
Lol that's why I said may I'll fully believe it when the first pitch is thrown
 

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
Joined
Feb 9, 2013
Messages
24,677
Points
883
Location
Florida
I can almost guarantee some goof will leave the Disney bubble to go clubbing in Orlando and come back with the corona and wind up quarantined for a playoff series. At least Jokic got his stupidity out of the way early.

 

Reck

Team Owner
Joined
Jun 16, 2006
Messages
26,266
Points
1,013

Call me a dumbass but why do they need "spring training" at this stage?

Can they just play a weekend of exhibition games to "warm up" and then get to it? They're going to waste a month essentially doing spring training.
 

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
Joined
Feb 9, 2013
Messages
24,677
Points
883
Location
Florida

Call me a dumbass but why do they need "spring training" at this stage?

Can they just play a weekend of exhibition games to "warm up" and then get to it? They're going to waste a month essentially doing spring training.
It’ll take a few weeks to get into game shape after being away from facilities and not having organized practices and workouts for so long. It’s especially important since they’ll be playing a condensed schedule, both in that games will mean much more right away and they’ll have proportionately fewer rest days than a full season. The potential for injury is significant if they don’t take a measured training approach.
 

Reck

Team Owner
Joined
Jun 16, 2006
Messages
26,266
Points
1,013
It’ll take a few weeks to get into game shape after being away from facilities and not having organized practices and workouts for so long. It’s especially important since they’ll be playing a condensed schedule, both in that games will mean much more right away and they’ll have proportionately fewer rest days than a full season. The potential for injury is significant if they don’t take a measured training approach.
So this is your way of calling me a dumbass? Deserved. :laugh:
 

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
Joined
Feb 9, 2013
Messages
24,677
Points
883
Location
Florida

Just end it. Not worth it.
They’re dropping the schedule tonight...

I still have doubts, they’ll have the “bubble” but I imagine some will find a way to sneak out eventually. They’re talking about bringing in loads of law enforcement to keep these guys locked up (really weird optics, btw) but I just don’t know. It seems to work mostly fine for racing and golf but the potential for high viral load isn’t the same; you’re not breathing heavily in some guy’s face for a few hours.

Football, especially college, I really have doubts about. At least as far as doing it properly and safely is concerned. Money trumps all else eventually.
 

Michfan

Team Owner
Contributor
Joined
Apr 21, 2016
Messages
20,161
Points
783
Location
God's country, MI
Any time large groups are mandated to be tested you are seeing percentages at 5% or higher and the people didn't even feel anything. Like 25% of Clemson football players had it.
 

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
Joined
Feb 9, 2013
Messages
24,677
Points
883
Location
Florida
Seems like they’ve flipped on utilization of law enforcement, now Disney security in addition to team and league security I guess. It will be imperative that they keep it locked down as tightly as possible.



 

gnomesayin

Team Owner
Joined
Oct 14, 2013
Messages
6,500
Points
793
I could be wrong, but this thing just seems doomed from the start and living on borrowed time.

An impenetrable bubble? In this country and in that state at the present time, with infection rates soaring? C'mon man, get outta here.
 
Last edited:

KTMLew01

Team Owner
Joined
Jan 31, 2017
Messages
1,702
Points
243
Replace the practice with sports. IDGAF how many of these players/teams go broke. Our countries working citizens come first. Let all these douchebags go get a job. A REAL job. Maybe a $12hr job and find out what life is really like.

 
Top Bottom