COVID-19 and sports: Latest news and information (updated)

UEFA has confirmed that even though the Euro 2020 has been postponed to 2021, it will still be called Euro 2020.

How is that going to work for the 2021-2022 season and going forward? Will they chase the off year for the rest of life? lol

Sucks for the teams that have to play games in London (if they play in London this year). Usually, you get a bye week after London for logistical reasons. And the Jacksonville Jaguars play TWO home games in London now. Fukt, royally.
If it’s bad enough they have to postpone and ultimately cut the bye week I can’t see any way they’ll do that to teams, even though that aspect wasn’t covered in the article. Plus you’d have to consider international travel will probably still be frowned upon and if the fans in the UK can’t attend anything live either what’s the point?

How is that going to work for the 2021-2022 season and going forward? Will they chase the off year for the rest of life? lol
UEFA have a couple of World Cup qualifier match days scheduled for June 2021 to be rescheduled because of the new conflict with Euro 2020. Everything is going to be condensed...I guess in a sense it’s almost a good thing the 2022 WC is in Qatar and already had to be pushed back to winter instead of summer of that year.

Bundesliga will likely restart by mid-May.
The DFL has worked out a hygiene oncept which will be discussed in a conference call between Mrs. Merkel and the 16 governors tomorrow. The federal labor department suggested players should wear masks during the game, but that appears to be is unrealistic.

The motorcycle GPs of the Netherlands, Germany and Finland have been cancelled. After 71 years, 2020 will be the first season without a GP in Assen.
This is not very surprising as the local promoters rely entirely on ticket sales.

If it’s bad enough they have to postpone and ultimately cut the bye week I can’t see any way they’ll do that to teams, even though that aspect wasn’t covered in the article. Plus you’d have to consider international travel will probably still be frowned upon and if the fans in the UK can’t attend anything live either what’s the point?
Yeah I would imagine in that scenario London is not hosting games

If this boils down to when games can be held at Yankee Stadium and Citi Field, even without fans, I think we’re going to be on the clock for a while.

The NHRA season opener is now pushed back to August from June. This is likely a sign for how realistic large attendance sporting events are in the interim. I believe the vast majority of NHRA revenues are driven by the gate. The TV rights money is minimal. They would be losing big money to hold unattended races.

That's it, man.

Time to give up sports for at least this year. Even if it does restart, championships won would carry the unnecessary asterisk.

If at all, run exhibitions games/races and such instead.

I think as we roll into June and July the general public consensus will have changed drastically.

Just nobody wants to make the first move. Once NASCAR and PGA are going, it will be easier to start rolling out under that protection. That's what I expect the MLB to do, come in behind them. NBA and NHL behind that. All without fans (or max 25% capacity) leading into the NFL season. Snowball effect and safety in numbers.

It's obviously great to see soccer again, but it really is a weird atmosphere.
Players aren't allowed to celebrate goals together. Everyone in the stadium except for players, referees and head coaches has to wear a mask.
FC Augsburg coach Heiko Herrlich will not be with his team tomorrow after he violated quarantine rules during the week. (left the hotel to buy toothpaste)
1589632338683.png

Supercross is slated to come back TWICE A WEEK on May 31st. Races to be run on Wednesday and Sundays from May 31st to June 21.

Without live audience, obviously. This is one way to get a full season in. I'm all in!

Thread here: https://racing-forums.com/threads/2020-monster-energy-supercross.69868/page-3#post-1708008

The MLB labor dispute seems to become more discouraging by the day. I’m getting close to the point where I’d be surprised if they played this year. I can only imagine how much irreparable damage the sport would do to itself in the case that they don’t.

It's going to be awfully weird watching NBA Finals games played in an empty Milk House with the atmosphere of an Orlando Summer League game.

Per The Athletic, these are the options on the survey:

Season formats for consideration:

Advance directly to playoffs: (16 teams, four rounds, best-of-seven series) with postseason teams based on standings as of March 12
A “Playoffs Plus” option: Expanding the number of teams with the opportunity to play, either through holding a play-in tournament to determine the final seed(s) in playoffs, to be played by “bubble teams” or replacing the first round of the playoffs with a group stage.
If “Playoffs Plus” — how many teams should return to play: 18, 20, 22 or 24?
Resume regular season with all 30 teams: All teams plays same number of games.
Resume regular season with all 30 teams, plus play-in: All teams play same number of games, followed by play-in tournament for the final seed(s) and traditional playoffs.
“Playoffs Plus” play-in format options: Play-in tournament featuring bubble teams for 8th seed; play-in tournament for 7th and 8th seed; or group stage that replaces first round of playoffs and all participating in groups (each team plays two games against each group opponent and top two teams from each group advances to traditional second round).

Scrimmage games prior to any restart:
— 2, 3, 4, or 5

Total regular season games:
— 72 or 76

Playoff format:
— Traditional (East/West) or reseed all teams

Latest possible date for finish:
— Labor Day, Sept. 15, Oct. 1, Oct. 15 or Nov. 1

This feels like an eternity away. I’m glad they’re getting close to a formal solution but lord is it going to be a long wait, but hopefully worthwhile. I do find it odd that would potentially put MNF and a Finals Game 7 against each other, which ESPN/ABC would seemingly want no part of.

They need to bring fans back to the track. I saw online today they’re planning a police brutality march in August for DC. Apparently Covid-19 is going to be done by then

This won’t be the last time this happens. Houston reported less than two weeks ago and have only been testing symptomatic student-athletes. Despite good intentions and significant planning, the return of sports late this summer and fall isn’t guaranteed.

Back
Top Bottom