Cross Hyundai Off The List

jws926

I need to think of something new for here
Whoops, typo on Hyundai in the title.
This was posted on Jalopnik , take this for what's it worth.

This a direct quote from Thomas Schemera (Head of Global Product Strategy & Design for Hyundai, Kia, and Genesis)

Hyundai is looking to grow its motorsport endeavors in North America. The Korean manufacturer currently runs a few Veloster N TCR racers with support from Bryan Herta Autosport. There have been discussions on how else to get involved, and NASCAR was mentioned quite a lot for a while.

Thomas Schemera: “Yeah, but this is always associated with a hell of a lot of budget. And we talked to them, and they gave a presentation, and I got invited [to Daytona] and we invited them [to visit Hyundai] and we discussed it, we talked it through. At the end of the day we said at the current point of time it doesn’t make sense.

We also talked to Toyota, in Dallas, we said ‘Hey guys, what’s going on in NASCAR? Let’s put our heads together and let’s share some ideas.’ And they said ‘If we were you guys, does it really make sense?’

You have to get access to the best teams, you need to put a hell of a lot of money on the table, you need to get access to the best drivers. Because this [meaning NASCAR racing] is not about the brand, this is not about the team, this is all about the driver, we were told. And if you want this, and you want to spend this money, and you have the patience to wait this 10 years (or 11 years, or maybe eight years) then do it.”

Schemera then closes this train of thought by reprising Toyota’s advice, “But if we were you...” He then trailed off and gave a typically European shrug.
https://jalopnik.com/hyundai-isnt-giving-up-on-sedans-and-neither-am-i-1835856472

Good, I can accept Honda and Nissan, since they’ve been involved with racing for decades. But Hyundai is like Samsung, cheap, poor quality build, that bought a bunch of positive press and won over the contrarian crowd.

Is anyone not already making a V8 / RWD powertrain seriously on 'The List'? If so, there's the same question: does it really make sense?

The Koreans are building really good cars right now. Huge gains in the last 10 years.
True, Hyundais and Kias aren’t the sh!tboxes they used to be. They’ve been pretty decent since about the mid-2000’s. I wouldn’t touch one with a 10-foot pole that was made before that though.

True, Hyundais and Kias aren’t the sh!tboxes they used to be. They’ve been pretty decent since about the mid-2000’s. I wouldn’t touch one with a 10-foot pole that was made before that though.

Good cars with a good warranty

That he talked to a direct competitor and asked advise is laughable.:rolleyes: geeezzz.:owquitit:
I think it makes sense to go to OEMs currently involved to get their feedback and see what the state of affairs is. If they were only engaging with NASCAR wouldn't NASCAR just tell them what they want to hear?

At any rate, it's not exactly encouraging that Toyota is talking to other makes and going "Welp, it's a bunch of money and it's not even about the brand!"

Tested a Kia Forte Koup and Forte5. Also, drove a partner's Hyundai Elantra Sport. Very, very fun and reliable cars. Be mindful of the carbon build-up from the GDI engines though. Take care of it, it will take care of you. The Optima 2011-12 were notorious for timing belts prematurely failing, but Kia/Hyundai has made huge strides.

Ford is about the only American car company I trust now. Too many bad experiences with GM, and Chrysler is owned by Fiat now so that’s a no go as well. My wife got a Lincoln about a year ago and it’s been really good so far.

We went with Volkswagen, so far we are happy but their warranty is not the greatest.

Look at Hyundai’s answer. It’s telling, I also think Toyota gave them honest advice. Who would leave for Hyundai of the main teams? Without insane money? Also another factor one could almost say the winning nascar owner is kinda oligarch like to the extent the winning teams are only from what 4 team owners. Also of those 4-5 team owners they are kinda old guys themselves. Seriously how long are the Gibbs, Hendrick, Penske etc going to be around? They are old guys

Ford is about the only American car company I trust now. Too many bad experiences with GM, and Chrysler is owned by Fiat now so that’s a no go as well. My wife got a Lincoln about a year ago and it’s been really good so far.
Ford and GM co-op on so many projects. If the public knew about it the Ford vs Chevy debate would be meaningless.

There is a funny layer to the fact that Hyundai talked to Toyota in that piece of information.

However, the words mentioned do seem honest. Big sponsors are not exactly knocking everyone’s doors down at shops to get involved in sponsorship for majority of the schedule. The landscape is very different than when Toyota made the investment into nascar all those years ago.

Am I crazy to think a new manufacturer could get a lot of benefits for being in the sport? It's worked decently for Toyota

My 2015 Silverado has almost 70k miles and it has ran flawlessly so far. I have only had to replace the battery, I will probably replace the original tires this fall.
My wife has a 2012 Camary with the same milage, and the maintenance history has been about the same.
The service writers at the local Toyota dealership want to replace filters etc more often than the local Chevy dealership does

The Silverado has a quieter and smoother ride. But l drive it easier too, l manage the rpms carefully to optimize my gas mileage while working up to a normal cruising speed of 10 mph over the posted limits (8 cylindar 4WD). The Camary is a 4 cylinder and l dont worry about the mileage or try to manage my rpms.

Obviously this is all subjective. All my experiences with Chevrolet has been based on my racing and performance desires. The cars were always what l called a Hot Rod in my world. That meant l was always planning on rebuilding the engines, trans and rear ends for speed with far less concerns for durability. It is silly but in my younger days my Ford freinds and I engaged in a lot of smack talk. And to this day my vanity will not allow me to drive up in a Ford truck or Ford muscle car, especially for a reunion or a planned social event.

Daily drivers are a different mindset for me. I encouraged my wife to buy a Toyota or Honda, l wanted her to have the reliability . We will do the same in 2020 and she wants an Accura. I have always been able to put a lot of miles on the Toyota 4 cylindar or R series motors. As an aside l tried talking her into getting a new Camaro SS, l would love to play with the HP. But she prefers a sedan and she is challenged when it comes to dealing with blind spots and backing up.
Sorry for the long post....

My 2015 Silverado has almost 70k miles and it has ran flawlessly so far. I have only had to replace the battery, I will probably replace the original tires this fall.
My wife has a 2012 Camary with the same milage, and the maintenance history has been about the same.
The service writers at the local Toyota dealership want to replace filters etc more often than the local Chevy dealership does

The Silverado has a quieter and smoother ride. But l drive it easier too, l manage the rpms carefully to optimize my gas mileage while working up to a normal cruising speed of 10 mph over the posted limits (8 cylindar 4WD). The Camary is a 4 cylinder and l dont worry about the mileage or try to manage my rpms.

Obviously this is all subjective. All my experiences with Chevrolet has been based on my racing and performance desires. The cars were always what l called a Hot Rod in my world. That meant l was always planning on rebuilding the engines, trans and rear ends for speed with far less concerns for durability. It is silly but in my younger days my Ford freinds and I engaged in a lot of smack talk. And to this day my vanity will not allow me to drive up in a Ford truck or Ford muscle car, especially for a reunion or a planned social event.

Daily drivers are a different mindset for me. I encouraged my wife to buy a Toyota or Honda, l wanted her to have the reliability . We will do the same in 2020 and she wants an Accura. I have always been able to put a lot of miles on the Toyota 4 cylindar or R series motors. As an aside l tried talking her into getting a new Camaro SS, l would love to play with the HP. But she prefers a sedan and she is challenged when it comes to dealing with blind spots and backing up.
Sorry for the long post....
I said GM cars. I think the domestic brands trucks are the best vehicles any of the big 3 make. GM cars are terrible. But so is Chrysler cars right now too. And ford is pretty much stopping selling all but the mustang. GM has the spark and Cruz which are garbage,

I have a 2011 Hyundai Genesis with a 4.6L V8. I had the brake pads changed at 90k (the rotors were fine) - that's it for service aside from oil changes. I like the car.

I said GM cars. I think the domestic brands trucks are the best vehicles any of the big 3 make. GM cars are terrible. But so is Chrysler cars right now too. And ford is pretty much stopping selling all but the mustang. GM has the spark and Cruz which are garbage,

Who cares about the Spark? Lol yeah, it's probably junk, no argument there. The Cruze is a fine car for the price point, but it's gone now, so it's moot. So what other
"junk" cars do they make? The Impala and Malibu are fine cars....although also going away. The Buicks and Cadillacs are very good, generally speaking. The Bolt is fantastic.

At this point it seems everyone only wants crossovers, and the GM's with the 3.6 V6 are great, but I still think the 4 cylinder models are garbage.

Who cares about the Spark? Lol yeah, it's probably junk, no argument there. The Cruze is a fine car for the price point, but it's gone now, so it's moot. So what other
"junk" cars do they make? The Impala and Malibu are fine cars....although also going away. The Buicks and Cadillacs are very good, generally speaking. The Bolt is fantastic.

At this point it seems everyone only wants crossovers, and the GM's with the 3.6 V6 are great, but I still think the 4 cylinder models are garbage.
The Spark is really a Daewoo with a Chevy badge. The Spark, the Trax, and the Buick Encore are built at the old Daewoo plant in South Korea.

Toyota talked them out of it because they don't want competition. There, I beat you to it.

The is the way the elders explained it to me:
Hyundai and Datsun both wanted and were fully committed to getting into Cup racing.
They consulted with Toyota and had even commenced to utilizing the Hoshin Kanri model to cover all of the prerequisites.

Joe Gibbs saw the inevitable unfolding so he bought up all the available Hyundai and Datsun charters to shut them out. The Hyundai and Datsun representatives then tried to buy them from Joe Gibbs and pay him a handsome mark-up. But the coach said that the Hyundai and Datsun charters were now eternally stored as the utmost evil trinity in a briefcase with the Furniture Row parchments.
The documents are now eternally sealed in a briefcase that cannot be broken by mankind or wimmin kind.
Verse 18: The marked briefcase was numbered threescore and six x 3 aka the ACCURSED #78 , and so shall it ever be.

I think it makes sense to go to OEMs currently involved to get their feedback and see what the state of affairs is. If they were only engaging with NASCAR wouldn't NASCAR just tell them what they want to hear?

At any rate, it's not exactly encouraging that Toyota is talking to other makes and going "Welp, it's a bunch of money and it's not even about the brand!"

I sell into a very competitive market in my business. I will tell a competitor, if asked, anything to keep him out of the game and on his heels.

I sell into a very competitive market in my business. I will tell a competitor, if asked, anything to keep him out of the game and on his heels.

Post #36.

Back
Top Bottom