Cross Hyundai Off The List

I sell into a very competitive market in my business. I will tell a competitor, if asked, anything to keep him out of the game and on his heels.
Toyota have been outspoken about trying to get other makes in though. They even just went through this in WEC where they allowed for the rules to change so they could get Aston Martin to join. Besides in F1 most recent history shows manufacturers are more flexible and tolerant in trying to get others to join, mostly because the state of international motorsport has been pretty dire.

Toyota have been outspoken about trying to get other makes in though. They even just went through this in WEC where they allowed for the rules to change so they could get Aston Martin to join. Besides in F1 most recent history shows manufacturers are more flexible and tolerant in trying to get others to join, mostly because the state of international motorsport has been pretty dire.

The only way this makes any sense is that Toyota has a vested interest in the companies aforementioned.

I think Toyota's advice, whether it was given to be helpful or to deter competition was pretty spot on. Other than F1, NASCAR is the most expensive most effort required racing they could get into, and if you don't go at it as LONG TERM commitment, you are certain to fail. You also have to be prepared to get your butt handed to you for awhile until you figure it all out. Only Hyundai can answer or not whether it makes sense for them, but if they were seriously interested, I don't see any insurmountable hurdles. I think you could get a couple of teams IF you are willing to make that long term financial commitment. Heck, even Penske has proven that he will go where the best deal is. The thing is, with the next generation car and powertrain still in a state of flux, I wouldn't want to make any major commitment until I had more firm answers on that, as well as schedule, series, sponsors, etc. I think NASCAR is moving towards a business model that WILL be more attractive to companies like Hyundai, but that doesn't mean they are there yet. Remember, when you are talking about spending tens of millions of dollars, with no guarantee of a return, the easiest answer is just to say no. As a CEO, it's easier to explain the opportunity you missed out on rather than the chance you took that went bust.

Makes sense to me to ask a potential competitor what NASCAR racing is like. You wouldn't expect a complete and totally honest answer, but you should get some insight - certainly not the prospective that NASCAR is going to try to sell you.

Hyundai does have a V8 engine, but I haven't found where it has any development work behind it for racing - particularly under NASCAR rules. The rest of the car would just be another slightly different set of decals on the latest "Generation" NASCAR requirements.

There are enough racing people looking for work or a better opportunity that Hyundai could get teams together with enough experience to compete. Charters don't matter much when most races do not get the maximum 40 entries. But it would take a lot of years and money before Hyundai could expect to be able to run with the big dogs.

However, "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday" died off years ago. Hyundai's customers generally aren't NASCAR fans, and the good ol' boys would howl about them being there. Maybe they'd be better off testing the waters by sponsoring a race or two, although TV ratings are also hurting...

NASCAR just seems so ambitious for a company who has been mainly involved in some rallying and touring cars...I imagine their growing pains would be even worse than Toyota’s, even if they spec out more parts of the car.
Oh for sure, I imagine it would take them longer than it took Toyota to finally get competitive.

NASCAR just seems so ambitious for a company who has been mainly involved in some rallying and touring cars...I imagine their growing pains would be even worse than Toyota’s, even if they spec out more parts of the car.

They've got V8 heritage in the Genesis. They are still re-creating the wheel here though.

Also atleast Toyota and Nissan have full-sized trucks. Not that it should REALLY matter that they compete in every series.

Back
Top Bottom