Cup Championship RACE thread --- Phoenix

I keep hearing reports about a bizzare sequence or events that almost happened at Phoenix.

• Race control was preparing for the Dawsonville Pool Hall hating man to pop out of the grassless knoll.

• He was going to deploy the caution creating life size Brian France cardboard cutout featuring his new restaurant with a plug for a Methadone sponsor.

• Most of the teams had intelligence officers working for them and they were going to be ready this time.

• The intelligence spotter informed everyone with discreation via Morris Code to prevent broadcasting to the world that a planned scandalous event was in progress.

• Morris Code was just to difficult for the drivers to correctly translate during the heat of the battle and it was misinterpreted.

• Elliott swerved to avoid hitting the anticipated deployment.

• Chastain held his line after also translating and believing that the deployment was directed at Elliott and that he himself was in the clear (low lane).

• The wreck occurred.

• Confirmation was recieved that the Dawsonville Pool Hall Siren was being putting away for safe keeping.

• The Dawsonville Pool Hall hating man was instructed at the very last minute to abort the already accomplished mission.

I wonder what lucky 9 team crew member gets to hang the 2022 Chase Elliott Championship Flag in their personal shed where the 'ol John Deere rider is stored...

That's it in a nutshell. Chase didn't answer the question as asked, as he wasn't going to resort to trash talking in the heat of the moment. Judging by the radio he truly didn't know what happened, and his team didn't do him any favors with their answers when he asked. Maybe he should have thrown a Kyle Busch level tantrum, I dunno.

That said, I'm convinced Chase could take a dump and guys would be blue in the face screaming that he only wiped twice instead of the needed 3 times and we Chase fans are in denial.
The one thing I'll say I've picked up on Chase...and I think his detractors look at this with a magnifying glass...is that there's often a sort of subtle petty passive agression directed at the interviewer that is almost theatrical.

I know he is already getting the vanilla label, but I think he's super subtle sass is entertaining as hell.

He's dry like Matt Kenseth was. You just knew Chase was going to deflect the Chastain question, but he didn't just deflect it..he obnoxiously deliberately deflects it. Then, he double down on it in the presser. Well, he added a ".....yeaaaah...", Then deflected it.

People bitch and moan about his lack of personality, but he's so dry and passive agressive and he gives pretty entertaining interviews, imo. It's good stuff. He's a self restrained bratty frat bro who controls the narrative... It's entertaining as hell.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I'd love to see Vegas or Charlotte get it. Vegas due to location and events, and Charlotte due to it being in the hub of the sport and putting on great race with this car in 600.

Vegas would be awesome for the finale and if they’re trying to cater to a West Coast audience, it would have more of a Homestead-Miami feel. JMO.

Vegas would be awesome for the finale and if they’re trying to cater to a West Coast audience, it would have more of a Homestead-Miami feel. JMO.
I was struggling to find the word to use, but best I could come up with was "glitzy" and an appropriate location and vibe for a champ weekend. Plus the track puts on pretty good racing
The one thing I'll say I've picked up on Chase...and I think his detractors look at this with a magnifying glass...is that there's often a sort of subtle petty passive agression directed at the interviewer that is almost theatrical.

I know he is already getting the vanilla label, but I think he's super subtle sass is entertaining as hell.

He's dry like Matt Kenseth was. You just knew Chase was going to deflect the Chastain question, but he didn't just deflect it..he obnoxiously deliberately deflects it. Then, he double down on it in the presser. Well, he added a ".....yeaaaah...", Then deflected it.

People bitch and moan about his lack of personality, but he's so dry and passive agressive and he gives pretty entertaining interviews, imo. It's good stuff. He's a self restrained bratty frat bro who controls the narrative... It's entertaining as hell.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
It was racing's version of "I'm here so I don't get fined." Thanks God, Gatorade and Goodyear as Brett Griffin says. He was pissed and dejected. He didn't truly know what happened, just that he had to answer questions about losing again and he wasn't into it. You're right, he's a MASSIVE smart ass when he is mad. Funny that people loved Kenseth and maybe Edwards for it, but for Chase it's grounds for public execution.
I wonder what lucky 9 team crew member gets to hang the 2022 Chase Elliott Championship Flag in their personal shed where the 'ol John Deere rider is stored...
It's going to be installed in the Hendrick Motorsports Museum by the shop in a shadowbox, with votive candles that fans can pay $5 to light, with "What Might Have Been" by Little Texas playing on loop. Tissues are 50 cents. Mr. H funding his Corvette addiction with this one.

I was struggling to find the word to use, but best I could come up with was "glitzy" and an appropriate location and vibe for a champ weekend. Plus the track puts on pretty good racing

For sure. The Strip OR even Fremont Street would work well at promoting the race.

Vegas is a good city for college basketball conference tournaments and all that so I agree 100%.

Would love to see Vegas in the loop, I could probably come up with 10 tracks to rotate for the final race. I also would love a longer race than we have at Phoenix. I just don't understand why the championship race is the shortest race of the year. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Add me as a vote for a Vegas championship destination. The track is good, the glamor and fun would attract a full house, and the climate almost assures rain free. I really like Homestead and attended many champ races prior to the switch. It’s a good venue for sure. I think Phoenix is just not the best spot for the finale. Part of the chase group late in the year…yes.

I for one hope NASCAR rotates the championship race each year much like the NFL does with the Super Bowl and College Football does with the CFP Final. Sunday didn’t.....feel like a Championship Race. Just a journey to the end. Now I’m sure that had very much 99% of it to do with the sad tragedy that was unfolding real time as the race went green but there’s no denying IMO the Daytona 500 feels way bigger than your Championship Race and that’s odd. Now I know the 500 is the biggest race for stock cars, but bottle up that pomp and circumstance that goes into the 500 pre race and use that for this race. Pre and post race concert from a big name artist or band, multiple celeb appearances, get former Cup champions on the grid make it feel like a big time event to those casuals watching. We as fans know it’s a big event, hook those casuals watching make them know this is our Championship Race.

Back to my initial point of rotating Championship Races, I think that’d add to the festivities. Heres my list of tracks that should be on the rotational host
Homestead: big market, track is good for racing
Phoenix: Top shelf fan amenities, good market
Fontana: close to LA, short track, season used to end in Cali
Nashville Fair Grounds: this will be obvious when track ends up renovated, growing market, season banquet
Las Vegas: It’s Vegas, good racing here
Charlotte Oval: home base for teams, good racing, can have season ending banquet here
Texas: big market nascar should always be here, I have (maybe misguided) faith they’re gonna fix this track, nice fan amenities

I for one hope NASCAR rotates the championship race each year much like the NFL does with the Super Bowl and College Football does with the CFP Final. Sunday didn’t.....feel like a Championship Race. Just a journey to the end. Now I’m sure that had very much 99% of it to do with the sad tragedy that was unfolding real time as the race went green but there’s no denying IMO the Daytona 500 feels way bigger than your Championship Race and that’s odd. Now I know the 500 is the biggest race for stock cars, but bottle up that pomp and circumstance that goes into the 500 pre race and use that for this race. Pre and post race concert from a big name artist or band, multiple celeb appearances, get former Cup champions on the grid make it feel like a big time event to those casuals watching. We as fans know it’s a big event, hook those casuals watching make them know this is our Championship Race.

100% agreed about the race feeling like a journey to the end, but personally I've never been hyped up about the "championship" race, and I don't think anything will ever top the hype and anticipation leading up to the Daytona 500. That being said, moving the last race to Vegas would help. Start the festivities in the afternoon, green flag in the evening before sundown, and let it finish under the lights.

And after all of this tweaking to satisfy a few fans, they will have years left to wonder and plan why it didn't make a hoot n hell difference because Nascar isn't foobah.

And after all of this tweaking to satisfy a few fans, they will have years left to wonder and plan why it didn't make a hoot n hell difference because Nascar isn't foobah.

So, in your opinion, today's NASCAR is perfect and can't possibly be improved, so nothing should ever change? Unless, of course, something changes, and then it's bravo NASCAR, what a genius decision! :rolleyes:

So, in your opinion, today's NASCAR is perfect and can't possibly be improved, so nothing should ever change? Unless, of course, something changes, and then it's bravo NASCAR, what a genius decision! :rolleyes:
as usual you missed the point. The 2023 schedule is out

Can't measure how much Logano's attitude about winning it all during the playoffs contributing to the 22 winning the Championship. But there they are.

It's about time for my end of season break lol I got your point.

100% agreed about the race feeling like a journey to the end, but personally I've never been hyped up about the "championship" race, and I don't think anything will ever top the hype and anticipation leading up to the Daytona 500. That being said, moving the last race to Vegas would help. Start the festivities in the afternoon, green flag in the evening before sundown, and let it finish under the lights.

Not gonna work as a night race unless ABC/ESPN takes over, which I hope happens. Dale Jr should be on ESPN.

I only watched the last 20 laps and the highlights (deer season here lol). I'm just happy no drivers were hurt, the rate of injuries lately was crazy.

Hopefully they make the right updates and bring back a much safer car next season

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

@wi_racefan , here is some eye candy for you.

For Central Florida, this is a fine 10 point Buck. We are in the middle of the rut currently.

10 point 10-28-22.jpg

Back
Top Bottom