Cup Championship RACE thread

In the playoffs:
Blaney: 6 top 10s, 4 top 5s, 2 wins
Byron: 8 top 10s, 6 top 5s, 1 win

So 4 great weeks and he’s the most deserving driver. Let’s just forget about the entire season and how he had 0 top 5s between his charlotte and talladega wins.

If you can’t perform when it counts, you don’t deserve to be a champion. Blaney performed when it counted.

Top 25 in points.
IMG_4781.jpeg

In the playoffs:
Blaney: 6 top 10s, 4 top 5s, 2 wins
Byron: 8 top 10s, 6 top 5s, 1 win

So 4 great weeks and he’s the most deserving driver. Let’s just forget about the entire season and how he had 0 top 5s between his charlotte and talladega wins.
I’ll entertain your argument if you give back all the wins the 24 kind of backed into by leading like 2 laps with late cautions. His golden horseshoe wore out. Hell of a driver, don’t get me wrong, but don’t be “that guy.”

If you can’t perform when it counts, you don’t deserve to be a champion. Blaney performed when it counted.
I kind of agree but also I can’t fully agree here. It all depends on a few factors. Sometimes you can perform, but something out of your control happens.

That didn’t happen here, but that’s the thing that’s wrong imo with this format.

I kind of agree but also I can’t fully agree here. It all depends on a few factors. Sometimes you can perform, but something out of your control happens.

That didn’t happen here, but that’s the thing that’s wrong imo with this format.

I would expect a Braves fan to understand the impact of a team going cold at the wrong time. 😝

I’ll entertain your argument if you give back all the wins the 24 kind of backed into by leading like 2 laps with late cautions. His golden horseshoe wore out. Hell of a driver, don’t get me wrong, but don’t be “that guy.”
You can say he backed into wins all you want. I’ll counter that by saying he had the most top 5s, most top 10s, most stage wings, and top 3 in laps led.

You can say he backed into wins all you want. I’ll counter that by saying he had the most top 5s, most top 10s, most stage wings, and top 3 in laps led.
The stats back you. I agree. And it’s hilarious the champ was AWOL first half of season. I prefer old Winston Cup method of every week counting, but this is the direction the powers that be took it. I hope NASCAR gets some heat (negative) over just this.

Shout-out to Ross Chastain on the win today, and shout-out to my man Kevin Harvick, who has had one heck of a career that I hate to see end. It's gonna be so weird not seeing him out there driving anymore, but I'm looking forward to hearing him in the booth.

The stats back you. I agree. And it’s hilarious the champ was AWOL first half of season. I prefer old Winston Cup method of every week counting, but this is the direction the powers that be took it. I hope NASCAR gets some heat (negative) over just this.

NASCAR doesn’t deserve any heat for this. Blaney won the championship fair and square.

This is the only sport where people bitch about a champion “being AWOL for the first half of the season.” Every sport has champions that turned it on when it counted. Everyone knows the rules. Blaney stepped it up when it counted.

Yup. At the end of the day, it's about speed. Raw pace, not results, is the biggest indicator of who is the champion in this format. It's been that way for 10+ years and goes that way year after year. And the fact is, Byron and the 24 team did not have the speed all year, or in these playoffs to win a championship today, which is what I've been saying all year. They've had execution, results, and points. But those are not indicators of today's champion, not when there are 3 other guys faster.

Larson had the most speed all year, and in the playoffs. Blaney found and had the speed in the playoffs, and had the most speed the last 5 weeks. Fast enough to win the last 4 races.

And that's exactly why I predicted this championship would come down today to Larson and Blaney. In this format, speed is always what dictates results. Because of the 5's speed all year and in the playoffs, the championship was going to go through Larson and the 5 team.

And that's exactly what happened. Larson controlled the championship with 25 to go, and Blaney, who has been the fastest car the last few weeks, was faster.

Blaney deserved it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Byron was deserving to be there and would have been a deserving champion
Sure. I'm just saying that speed is always the best indicator of who's going to win. And once again, that's exactly what happened

NASCAR doesn’t deserve any heat for this. Blaney won the championship fair and square.

This is the only sport where people bitch about a champion “being AWOL for the first half of the season.” Every sport has champions that turned it on when it counted. Everyone knows the rules. Blaney stepped it up when it counted.
Those sports guess what? You don’t play everyone every week. stop comparing racing to other sports man. You don’t have 32 teams on football fields, or 30 teams on the Diamond or court. Those sports need playoffs. Racing doesn’t.

I don't love this system either, but it's also why I rolled my eyes at anyone who thought he had a shot this year..

Byron runs away with it, even with the old Chase format.

But this format rewards raw speed. Not consistency. Not execution. That's just how it's been, and the speed for the 24 to win a championship in this format wasn't rhere.

Blaney winning a championship based on the last 5 weeks and having to get through the 5 to do it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone and should have been the obvious outcome.

Back
Top Bottom