Cup race at Charlotte

In regards to the camera fiasco and letting Kyle Busch repair his car. In Johali's thread, I brought up Watkins Glen 2001 when Robby Gordon was essentially knocked out of the race because the in-car camera that (at the time) NASCAR mandated erupted in flames inside the ****pit. I also brought up that the mandatory telemetry system blew up in Jeff Gordon's car at Daytona one year forcing him to pit road. And then I brought up the Martinsville 2004 incident. In those three cases, the verdict from NASCAR was the same. NASCAR set a precedent and then changed it tonight.

Gotta love Robby Gordon.

Andy Marquis ‏@amarquis32 4h
I wonder what @JeffGordonWeb and @RobbyGordon thought of #NASCAR's decision tonight. #CocaCola600

Robby Gordon ‏@RobbyGordon 2h
“@amarquis32: I wonder what @JeffGordonWeb and @RobbyGordon thought of #NASCAR's decision tonight. #CocaCola600” bull as usual

In regards to the camera fiasco and letting Kyle Busch repair his car. In Johali's thread, I brought up Watkins Glen 2001 when Robby Gordon was essentially knocked out of the race because the in-car camera that (at the time) NASCAR mandated erupted in flames inside the ****pit. I also brought up that the mandatory telemetry system blew up in Jeff Gordon's car at Daytona one year forcing him to pit road. And then I brought up the Martinsville 2004 incident. In those three cases, the verdict from NASCAR was the same. NASCAR set a precedent and then changed it tonight.

Gotta love Robby Gordon.

I wonder what @JeffGordonWeb and @RobbyGordon thought of #NASCAR's decision tonight. #CocaCola600

“@amarquis32: I wonder what @JeffGordonWeb and @RobbyGordon thought of #NASCAR's decision tonight. #CocaCola600” bull as usual

I am with you. It was complete bulk**** that Nascar let them fix their cars.

I wasn't even going to respond about the whole camera thing but after seeing so many people complain about it I have to at least comment:

Yes some drivers got "screwed" by the not working under red flag rule because of stuff like this in the past. But you know, it's just sour grapes imo.

This situation just goes to prove that you can't make NASCAR fans happy no matter what you try to do. Allowing them to repair those cars was a good call in my opinion. If they wouldn't have allowed it everyone would have been complaining about how unfair it was to drivers that obviously had strong cars in the early goings of the race. Drivers that would have been virtually out of the race would have complained and so would their fans. That's coming from a guy that has seen countless situations like this in the past (and yes, I was there when Gordon "got screwed over" at the 2001 race in Martinsville).

I guess my point here is we should just be happy no one seriously got hurt and we got to see a good race in the end. I hope that in the future when similar freak accidents happen like this that they will continue to allow crews to work on the cars under red flags. It's fine if you don't agree with me, but please, don't cite things that happened over a decade ago and try to compare that to a freakin cable falling on to the track while cars are zooming around at full speed and fans are begin injured in the stands.

With all the bone head decisions by NASCAR in the past can't we just be happy that for once they handled things correctly.

PS. If you wanna blame NASCAR do it for the right reasons! The cable had actually started to give way two laps before it finally let go and caused all that damage. If you wanna blame NASCAR for something blame them for not getting the yellow flag thrown quick enough to avoid the situation all together.

Sorry for the rant, no ill feelings towards any of you I assure you.

I wasn't even going to respond about the whole camera thing but after seeing so many people complain about it I have to at least comment:

Yes some drivers got "screwed" by the not working under red flag rule because of stuff like this in the past. But you know, it's just sour grapes imo.

This situation just goes to prove that you can't make NASCAR fans happy no matter what you try to do. Allowing them to repair those cars was a good call in my opinion. If they wouldn't have allowed it everyone would have been complaining about how unfair it was to drivers that obviously had strong cars in the early goings of the race. Drivers that would have been virtually out of the race would have complained and so would their fans. That's coming from a guy that has seen countless situations like this in the past (and yes, I was there when Gordon "got screwed over" at the 2001 race in Martinsville).

I guess my point here is we should just be happy no one seriously got hurt and we got to see a good race in the end. I hope that in the future when similar freak accidents happen like this that they will continue to allow crews to work on the cars under red flags. It's fine if you don't agree with me, but please, don't cite things that happened over a decade ago and try to compare that to a freakin cable falling on to the track while cars are zooming around at full speed and fans are begin injured in the stands.

With all the bone head decisions by NASCAR in the past can't we just be happy that for once they handled things correctly.

PS. If you wanna blame NASCAR do it for the right reasons! The cable had actually started to give way two laps before it finally let go and caused all that damage. If you wanna blame NASCAR for something blame them for not getting the yellow flag thrown quick enough to avoid the situation all together.

Sorry for the rant, no ill feelings towards any of you I assure you.

I agree completely!

And let me add, there are people who would complain about the color of a clear blue sky for nothing else to complain about...

Gotta love Robby Gordon.

Well said. I guess it figures the Happytime NASCAR Defense Brigade would defend that stupid 15 minute repair period which was a blatant violation of any form of organized motorsport. I guess if you've only been a NASCAR fan your whole life and never watched any other motorsports, and you're used to seeing the Frances and Helton and that bozo David Hoots make up the rules as they go, then you see nothing wrong with what happened last night.

Well said. I guess it figures the Happytime NASCAR Defense Brigade would defend that stupid 15 minute repair period which was a blatant violation of any form of organized motorsport. I guess if you've only been a NASCAR fan your whole life and never watched any other motorsports, and you're used to seeing the Frances and Helton and that bozo David Hoots make up the rules as they go, then you see nothing wrong with what happened last night.

They allow F1 teams to make repairs under red flags as far as I'm aware.

I'm the first to complain about NASCAR making things up as they go a long. I honestly think the rule book should be set in stone before the season starts with any alterations begin made in the off seasons. But sometimes freak accidents happen and you have to make a judgement call. I think in this case they made the right one but I understand why others might not agree with me.

NC HillBilly, I agree with you. NASCAR had to make the decision on the fly --- things that happened years ago involving only 1 car had no bearing on last night. This involved several cars, put fans and drivers alike in danger. Stop, repair, and do over.

NC HillBilly, I agree with you. NASCAR had to make the decision on the fly --- things that happened years ago involving only 1 car had no bearing on last night. This involved several cars, put fans and drivers alike in danger. Stop, repair, and do over.

It's a can of worms now. When situations happen in the future, and they will, will NASCAR say "Sorry, no other cars were involved, you're on your own" or what?

It's blatant inconsistencies like this that have the appearance of NASCAR making their decisions based on what drivers are involved, not what the situation is itself.

While it was an awkward situation, I think NASCAR did the right thing letting the affected parties repair their cars. It's just like the law: there was no precedent in this case, since nothing like this had really ever happened before. So, NASCAR had to act as the judge amd determine the appropriate course of action.

Although I didn't see one second of the race, it sounds to me as if NASCAR's actions were completely justified. Sometimes, something completely out of the ordinary happens, and the response, then, would also have to be completely out of the ordinary. So NASCAR let some people fix their cars under the red flag, because something happened that was, again, completely out of the ordinary, unprecedented, and will, most likely, never happen again. "but they need to set the rules in stone...blah blah blah..." Sure, but can you set the rules for every possible scenario tha mightt ever happen anywhere? No. And as far as unprecedented, other forms of motorsports would ever do something like this? Wrong, bucko. Look back at the 1996 US 500 at Michigan. A wreck happened coming up to the green flag, destroying a lot of cars. Guess what, they restarted race, and even allowed backup cars.

Sometimes, **** happens that falls so far out of the box, that out of the box adjustments need to be made. On the fly.

The wall that Gordon hit didn't have a safer barrier. Two questions.....

#1 Why doesn't every inch of a Cup track have a safer barrier?
#2 Why is Gordon always the one to find that part that doesn't have one?

The wall that Gordon hit didn't have a safer barrier. Two questions.....

#1 Why doesn't every inch of a Cup track have a safer barrier?
#2 Why is Gordon always the one to find that part that doesn't have one?

He does seem to find them a lot.

I guess they look at data and where they think a car can end up, but most of the bad wrecks we see are cars hitting where no one thought they would. I agree, every wall should be protected by a safer barrier, there's no reason on tracks a mile and bigger they're not IMO.

yeah the first hit it wasn't there, but come on, it was a glancing blow, the rest of it he hit the safer barrier

Great run for the 78. We were never better than the 2nd fastest car all day, so p3 is something to be proud of, especially in the 600.

But a dead battery while red flagged in the lead????? LOL. Unbelievable. Unluckiest driver in the garage. I'm legitimately surprised the FOX camera didn't fall through our windshield. The cable that tore up Kyle probably mistook him for Kurt.

They allow F1 teams to make repairs under red flags as far as I'm aware.

I'm the first to complain about NASCAR making things up as they go a long. I honestly think the rule book should be set in stone before the season starts with any alterations begin made in the off seasons. But sometimes freak accidents happen and you have to make a judgement call. I think in this case they made the right one but I understand why others might not agree with me.
I for one heartily disagree.

I usually agree with you but not this time, In My Opinion nascar blew it big time, treat everyone and every race equal.

I agree with you and HillBilly 100%. My hats off to Nascar for making the right choice.

Back
Top Bottom