Cup RACE thread --- 600

I see what you're talking about, it wasn't a four wide pass as its made out to be with the title. Its four wide on the backstretch, but it was still a great move nonetheless and not taking anything away from Truex.

Great ending to the race and another 600 in the books though.
4 wide going in to 3 is correct. Maybe he needs someone to say "going towards 3" or "4 wide mid back straight"

He's earned his stripes, you can't see him as that same underdog anymore.

I may not be the biggest fan of him now, but seeing his growth the past four years has been insane to see and well deserved.
I still see Truex AT BEST a /3rd tier star. Peaking as a Matt Kenseth kind of talent (not resume)

Brad K, Kenseth, Kurt Busch (Truex here at his best) when overall, he's below them.

He's been outrun on the same team by Montoya and Bowyer. Put prime Truex in 2007 in the best equipment in NASCAR and he doesn't win a title imo.

Still a top driver today, but out of all of today's stars/active champions..

Johnson
Harvick
Keselowski
Busch
Logano
Busch,

I think he is simply the least talented and I don't think he even has a case against any of them, never mind above any of them.

Awesome win today for him though. That was a fun one. He's an awesome dude.

Overrated racecar driver though, I think he's the least talented champion of the modern era and nothing can change that/make me even consider entertaining otherwise

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Overrated racecar driver though, I think he's the least talented champion of the modern era and nothing can change that/make me even consider entertaining otherwise

Well OK. What you lack in evidence you make up for in conviction.

Why the heck would Truex's prime be in 2007? Clearly his prime is later in his late 30's, as is most common with Cup drivers.

In terms of accomplishment, Johnson is in a world of his own. Busch is obviously a generational talent. All of the others you cite are not definitive and obviously it remains to be seen. Nobody got lucky in the low downforce years, and Truex showed his ability most then.

I still see Truex AT BEST a /3rd tier star. Peaking as a Matt Kenseth kind of talent (not resume)

Brad K, Kenseth, Kurt Busch (Truex here at his best) when overall, he's below them.

He's been outrun on the same team by Montoya and Bowyer. Put prime Truex in 2007 in the best equipment in NASCAR and he doesn't win a title imo.

Johnson
Harvick
Keselowski
Busch
Logano
Busch,

I think he is simply the least talented and I don't think he even has a case against any of them, never mind above any of them.

Good lord, smh

Hell yeah Truex!! Guy goes 4 wide for the win and some people still don’t think he’s a great driver :rolleyes:

Also my boy Buescher in 6th!!

Pagenaud and Rossi were passing. Truex just kinda drove by at 150mph while the people in front of him pushed all the air and lost momentum on old tires.

Johnson
Harvick
Keselowski
Busch
Logano
Busch,

I'm not going to ridicule you because I have always liked your analytical style when it comes to comparing the drivers and ranking them based upon their history in Cup, their results, their driving style, and their career trajectory. There are probably a few more pieces of criteria I am missing. Either way, I know you understand.

Now, this is where our observances differentiate. I am going to try to put this in the most unbiased terms I can, because I know I am probably the biggest MTJ fan here. From an objective point of view, and bearing in mind the storied careers of the other drivers you mentioned, I do not see why MTJ would not merit a higher position among these drivers. The man went from underdog to champion in a matter of years. Yes, he had arguably the best crew and probably the best crew chief of this decade. Well, so did our boy Jimmie Johnson in the noughties. You see how much success JJ attained, and how, like with MTJ, people tried to take away from it. People who do so nowadays are looked upon as fools because of Jimmie's cemented stature within the sport at this point. Seeing how much success MTJ has attained within a just-over-four year period, I think it is rash to say he is the least talented champion, much less rank him below the likes of, say, Kurt Busch. Kurt has been in the sport for basically two decades. I like Kurt, but outside of a fortunate 2004, when has he really looked like a genuine championship contender? Not to mention, it sadly looks like the curtains are just about ready to close on his career.

MTJ has still got several years left, as do a good number of the people you are comparing him to, and I think it would be pretty bold to presume that he won't add more wins to his resume and possibly another championship or two even with these guys present among the opposition. He's doing it now, so why wouldn't he continue to do so?

Also, you made a comment about putting him in a top ride in 2007 with his current abilities and believing he wouldn't do much with it.

Um, in 2007, MTJ got his first NASCAR win with Earnhardt Ganassi Racing; I'm pretty sure of this. In pointing that out, I don't see why he wouldn't do more in, say, Kyle Busch's #5 ride at the time, but I'm not gonna go any further down that trail for now, considering this thread is supposed to be about the race we watched tonight. So, I'll leave it at "enough said."

People forget here that Truex made the Final Four with FRR in 2015 when they were with Chevy. He’s been on a amazing run since then. I also would say to some degree he’s been fortunate on this run that Gordon retired, Tony Stewart’s decline/retirement (still think Stewart would have raced in a high level into his 50’s if not for the contributing factors that he walked away from), Johnson’s slump and Carl Edward’s retirement (scoff at the other 3 if you want but Edwards retirement is a huge deal. I’d bet the farm Edwards would have won a Cup already with JGR in the very ride Truex is in now.) it was simply Truex’s time to ascend and take those guy’s spots that they vacated. I’d also argue Cole Pearn is the best in the business right now and with TRD it’s just the factors work so well together to make everyone involved a championship contending combination.

Johnson
Harvick
Keselowski
Busch
Logano
Busch,

A LOT of people refused to give Johnson any credit for a long time either. It was all cheating chad or slick Rick that got the blame for his success.
Somebody still has to drive the car. Cole pearn didn't keep that thing straight with lagano lifting the rear wheels off the ground.

I'm not going to ridicule you because I have always liked your analytical style when it comes to comparing the drivers and ranking them based upon their history in Cup, their results, their driving style, and their career trajectory. There are probably a few more pieces of criteria I am missing. Either way, I know you understand.

Now, this is where our observances differentiate. I am going to try to put this in the most unbiased terms I can, because I know I am probably the biggest MTJ fan here. From an objective point of view, and bearing in mind the storied careers of the other drivers you mentioned, I do not see why MTJ would not merit a higher position among these drivers. The man went from underdog to champion in a matter of years. Yes, he had arguably the best crew and probably the best crew chief of this decade. Well, so did our boy Jimmie Johnson in the noughties. You see how much success JJ attained, and how, like with MTJ, people tried to take away from it. People who do so nowadays are looked upon as fools because of Jimmie's cemented stature within the sport at this point. Seeing how much success MTJ has attained within a just-over-four year period, I think it is rash to say he is the least talented champion, much less rank him below the likes of, say, Kurt Busch. Kurt has been in the sport for basically two decades. I like Kurt, but outside of a fortunate 2004, when has he really looked like a genuine championship contender? Not to mention, it sadly looks like the curtains are just about ready to close on his career.

MTJ has still got several years left, as do a good number of the people you are comparing him to, and I think it would be pretty bold to presume that he won't add more wins to his resume and possibly another championship or two even with these guys present among the opposition. He's doing it now, so why wouldn't he continue to do so?

Great post. These kinds of arguments are what bug me about the HOF. I really don't care how Martin stacks up. He has made himself into a winner, and a constant threat. Toyota/TRD love him because he embodies the humility that is so important to their organizational culture. That win last night still has me smiling. Just badass.

I’d also argue Cole Pearn is the best in the business right now and with TRD it’s just the factors work so well together to make everyone involved a championship contending combination.

BOOM. Nailed it.

yeah those tire popping wall slamming Yotas were entertaining all weekend. I'm not throwing Wolf or Stephens under the bus for the Pearn love just yet. All have three wins and Childers with a goose egg right now isn't going to lay down either.

yeah those tire popping wall slamming Yotas were entertaining all weekend. I'm not throwing Wolf or Stephens under the bus for the Pearn love just yet. All have three wins and Childers with a goose egg right now isn't going to lay down either.

Biggest surprise thus far and it seemed like SHR and Penske were neck and neck the first 6-8 races. Then SHR has kind of fallen off into being the third or fourth best cars in the field atm. Meanwhile CGR and Hendrick have improved, but its just ebb and flow as always.

Great to see the Roush stuff get better also. A number of cars had spins and or serious body damage and they were able to stay competitive. Nascar is becoming more of a contact sport it once was.

Johnson
Harvick
Keselowski
Busch
Logano
Busch,

This is exactly the kind of post that makes this place fun. :eek::D

While Martin Truex Jr. celebrated winning the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway, Corey LaJoie had plenty to be happy about.

:D
“We’re making a lot of guys on the other end of the garage pretty pissed when the No. 32 car drives around them,” he said. “Momentum only lasts until Thursday. We’ll just try and check the boxes every week.

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/corey-lajoie-12th-coke-600/4397357/

Johnson
Harvick
Keselowski
Busch
Logano
Busch,

source.gif

I wonder what they think of KDB then?

He makes them uncomfortable. He pisses them off all of the time. He drives them nuts. Then, they pick the confetti out of their hair, and forget about all of it.

Truex is making his run for Miss JGR 2019. KyBu is getting worried...

I think Kyle is really rattled. He looked off all week at Charlotte. The new kid in town is for real. Truex is getting settled in, as is Pearn. Could get interesting at JGR.

I thought that the tire story was awesome on Sunday. Aggressive camber with low pressure. Great part of the sport IMO. Truth be told, I was ****ting myself in Stage 1. Brought back memories of motors popping in '13. Turned out pretty good though!

Whelp that explains it, he's been holding it this whole time.

I think Kyle is really rattled. He looked off all week at Charlotte. The new kid in town is for real. Truex is getting settled in, as is Pearn. Could get interesting at JGR.

I think Kyle will recover and go on to win some races, he is a contender in nearly every race. Some seasons suck, maybe Kyle won't win any race but he will be back next year.

I think Kyle will recover and go on to win some races, he is a contender in nearly every race. Some seasons suck, maybe Kyle won't win any race but he will be back next year.

He'll win more races this year, no doubt. The competition is getting stiffer every week. Not only is Truex looking much better as of late, some of the other youngsters are starting to click. And the Hendrick cars look like they're coming out of hibernation. Plus, I don't see Happy staying in his current state much longer. Makes for an interesting season.

A LOT of people refused to give Johnson any credit for a long time either. It was all cheating chad or slick Rick that got the blame for his success.
Somebody still has to drive the car. Cole pearn didn't keep that thing straight with lagano lifting the rear wheels off the ground.

Over the course of the last few years, there have been many times where Martin got up on the wheel after a late race restarted and took a race. Anyone trying to discount Martin is not paying attention.

Over the course of the last few years, there have been many times where Martin got up on the wheel after a late race restarted and took a race. Anyone trying to discount Martin is not paying attention.

I used to always root for him but the past few years his often times whining at everything when things don't go so right gets a bit old.

not winning the war didn't help matters either.

I'd still rather see MJT win over say KB, a Dillon, or Stenhouse

He'll win more races this year, no doubt. The competition is getting stiffer every week. Not only is Truex looking much better as of late, some of the other youngsters are starting to click. And the Hendrick cars look like they're coming out of hibernation. Plus, I don't see Happy staying in his current state much longer. Makes for an interesting season.

It really is getting interesting, I fully agree. Martin is a better driver than he used to be, I realize he has some good equipment now but he improves constantly. Truex didn't let that damage get him down Sunday, he kept fighting. I wouldn't miss Harvick

Back
Top Bottom