Cup RACE thread --- Atlanta

Nascar got what they are wanted I would not be shocked if they make all the mile and halfs like this cause they know how to do it now.
1. It takes lot of money to reconfigure a track. If Atlanta wasn't already overdue for repaving, SMI (not NASCAR) wouldn't have done it for its own sake. Don't look for anyone to reconfigure a track that's been paved in the last ten to fifteen years.

2. How many 1.5ers does NASCAR own? Just Homestead? That's a true oval with no doglegs, so the Atlanta config may not work without altering the grandstands and that's REALLY expensive. Homestead isn't exactly NASCAR's favorite property either, and is sometimes rumored to be dropped. I think SMI owns the rest of the 1.5 tracks.

2. How many 1.5ers does NASCAR own? Just Homestead? That's a true oval with no doglegs, so the Atlanta config may not work without replacing the grandstands. Homestead isn't exactly NASCAR's favorite property and is sometimes rumored to be dropped. I think SMI owns the rest.

Homestead, Kansas, and whether people believe it or not Chicagoland is not shut down yet.

Homestead, Kansas, and whether people believe it or not Chicagoland is not shut down yet.
Kansas. Thank you.

I don't see them reserving money for Chicago upgrades while they're negotiating to use the streets. It may not be dead but the doctors are reviewing the living will and contacting transplant recipients

Kansas. Thank you.

I don't see them reserving money for Chicago upgrades while they're negotiating to use the streets. It may not be dead but the doctors are reviewing the living will and contacting transplant recipients

There’s no upgrades to be needed to Chicago. 2018 was great and 2019 was also decent for the 550 package. Pavement is in good racing condition last time they raced there. It is what it is anymore.

There’s no upgrades to be needed to Chicago. 2018 was great and 2019 was also decent for the 550 package. Pavement is in good racing condition last time they raced there. It is what it is anymore.
Doesn't look good. Hendrick said today that he would like to see a street race. That probably holds some weight with his buddy Jim France I would think

• Sad
Reactions: Pat
Doesn't look good. Hendrick said today that he would like to see a street race. That probably holds some weight with his buddy Jim France I would think

I would rather see Montreal or Trois-Rivières myself but they feel like they can bring in a few casuals, some extra media attention going to Chicago Street. It’s a shame the sightlines look good at Chicagoland.

He didn't say where it would be. If Nascar is focused on a street race addition to the schedule, I wouldn't think Chicago oval would be considered for a race anytime soon. With some fans continual complaining about the 1.5's, it doesn't look like the direction they are going would be to add one to the schedule They got rid of it, one of Texas, and Atlanta is gone for all practical purposes.

Well Stern mentioned Chicago Street & NASCAR a few weeks ago and he seems to be in the loop. I’m not sure where else they would go, maybe Denver or Seattle or Europe.

1. It takes lot of money to reconfigure a track. If Atlanta wasn't already overdue for repaving, SMI (not NASCAR) wouldn't have done it for its own sake. Don't look for anyone to reconfigure a track that's been paved in the last ten to fifteen years.

2. How many 1.5ers does NASCAR own? Just Homestead? That's a true oval with no doglegs, so the Atlanta config may not work without altering the grandstands and that's REALLY expensive. Homestead isn't exactly NASCAR's favorite property either, and is sometimes rumored to be dropped. I think SMI owns the rest of the 1.5 tracks.
i'm just saying they have been trying to get pack racing at all the big tracks for years now and failed that is until Atlanta came along.

They now know what they need to do to get there pack racing so if they want to spend money to get it they will I mean they just spend millions on turning a football stadium into a track so money is nothing to them.

i'm just saying they have been trying to get pack racing at all the big tracks for years now and failed that is until Atlanta came along.

They now know what they need to do to get there pack racing so if they want to spend money to get it they will I mean they just spend millions on turning a football stadium into a track so money is nothing to them.
Sounds like the same B.S. some of them were saying after the Roval was built. Every 1.5 was going to be turned into a Roval. It's not going to happen, Atlanta will be unique just like the Roval is.
No longer hearing the constant whine about racing at the same tracks anymore. It has been replaced with the no not that's lol.

Sounds like the same B.S. some of them were saying after the Roval was built. Every 1.5 was going to be turned into a Roval. It's not going to happen, Atlanta will be unique just like the Roval is.
No longer hearing the constant whine about racing at the same tracks anymore. It has been replaced with the no not that's lol.
I mean I hope you right 6 pack races is enough don't need to flood the schedule with them through I could see Texas being the next since that track sucks and this would be a way to save that place.

true the new car might be great at texas its been great everywhere else so far imo
Yeah it sure has been a game changer. Texas surface is starting to get some age to it. I noticed the Indycars had a lot more grip this year at Texas.

Denny Hamlin finished every single race and completed nearly every single lap of racing last year. We’re five races in, and he hasn’t seen the checkered flag in 3 of them let alone the top ten in any of them. Pretty wild, hard to digest.

Denny Hamlin finished every single race and completed nearly every single lap of racing last year. We’re five races in, and he hasn’t seen the checkered flag in 3 of them let alone the top ten in any of them. Pretty wild, hard to digest.
Yeah it's hard to believe when a driver has a run of bad luck, but Hamlin the last couple of years has had a lot of good breaks that went his way.

I think retaliative to the old car, the new car should do better on every track. It probably won't with every track, but I bet it comes close. It's just a much better race car product.
Yea I agree. I never was all in with the theory ”typical track the internet hates is the problem.” I always felt at worst it was a 50/50 split and at its best 70 car/30 track. That’s just my own opinion. My point here before I veer too far from center, is that I really would love to see at the minimum at least two years with this new car at each track on the schedule to let the crews get to know it, make a notebook with it and drivers get some familiarity before we make drastic changes to the schedule or configurations like Atlanta. I’d love to get a big sample of what this car can do at at “internet $hitholes” Michigan, Texas, Richmond and Indianapolis. I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised

Eh this is hard to argue with myself

$$ Smith said it was the track’s largest crowd since 2014.

Winning car owner Rick Hendrick said he wants more changes to the sport to create unique events like Sunday’s race.

“I think keep changing it up, and it just seems to bring in a lot of new people that we haven’t seen,” he said.

He went on to say: “I think just doing something different than you’ve done for years and years is good for the sport.”

Well I think you’re going to get many new changes. Street race, maybe another new stadium race. That’s fine, I think those will be sights to behold. They’ll get new fans for sure.

Yea I agree. I never was all in with the theory ”typical track the internet hates is the problem.” I always felt at worst it was a 50/50 split and at its best 70 car/30 track. That’s just my own opinion. My point here before I veer too far from center, is that I really would love to see at the minimum at least two years with this new car at each track on the schedule to let the crews get to know it, make a notebook with it and drivers get some familiarity before we make drastic changes to the schedule or configurations like Atlanta. I’d love to get a big sample of what this car can do at at “internet $hitholes” Michigan, Texas, Richmond and Indianapolis. I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised
Well I think there has been a shift in Nascar's direction. I can't say they are ignoring the older crowd, but they are looking to the future and catering more to the newer fans. Most of the older fans aren't going anywhere anyway.

Well I think you’re going to get many new changes. Street race, maybe another new stadium race. That’s fine, I think those will be sights to behold. They’ll get new fans for sure.

Gonna have to be a 0.20 mile track to do stadium racing anywhere else

Well I think there has been a shift in Nascar's direction. I can't say they are ignoring the older crowd, but they are looking to the future and catering more to the newer fans. Most of the older fans aren't going anywhere anyway.
I fall in between I guess. I’m 37 not old but not super young either. I sometimes wish I could bottle up and still have what made me fall in love with nascar (late 80’s/90’s). While I hate some of the changes I would have missed out on something’s I grew to like too. I have a son almost 10 month old, and I’m trying to see things through his eyes. The changes being made that I not might like or gripe about arnt being made for me. They’re being made for people like him, so that when he’s ready to find NASCAR it’s in a place to attract and retain newer fans. Pains me to say that the NASCAR I found and loved as a kid…would it attract people today? I don’t know.

I dunno I’m sure they’ll find a place

Probably, I just don’t see a lot of venues that offer the space that the Coliseum did.

DD291D49-829E-412D-8678-9A0352988C37.jpeg

Last edited:
I fall in between I guess. I’m 37 not old but not super young either. I sometimes wish I could bottle up and still have what made me fall in love with nascar (late 80’s/90’s). While I hate some of the changes I would have missed out on something’s I grew to like too. I have a son almost 10 month old, and I’m trying to see things through his eyes. The changes being made that I not might like or gripe about arnt being made for me. They’re being made for people like him, so that when he’s ready to find NASCAR it’s in a place to attract and retain newer fans. Pains me to say that the NASCAR I found and loved as a kid…would it attract people today? I don’t know.
To be honest the changes weren't made for you or me but what the powers that be thought would work to keep the racing business going and they still are doing that. Atlanta had more people in the stands since 2014 Marcus Smith said. Can't argue with success IMO.

Most youngsters I know today aren’t interested in watching cars go in circles on a racetrack.

Back
Top Bottom