Cup RACE thread --- Atlanta

Options were? Just leave it and hope it didn't get stuck over somebody's windshield? You saw the bumper cover on the roof yesterday right?
That or run over it and cause you to lose grip and send you right into the wall or another car.

He's not a moron.

He just thinks he's too clever, and thinks he needs to be clever when he doesn't.

Denny is one of the best superspeedway racers of all time.

And he didn't race at all. Curious what @Revman has to say about this.
Frankly, I don't know what the hell he was thinking, and I think that Gabehart was curious too. The only thing that I can think of is that he didn't want to end the day like Larson, and the engine penalty had him spooked. He has to absolutely race Waktins Glen now, and then manage Bristol. Denny has laughed off the road courses on his podcast, and Gabehart has said that he has speed, but lacks consistency and the ability to manage runs on road courses. This is already interesting. Do I think he can pull it off? Absolutely. Back isn't to the wall just yet, but it could be this time next week.

Can we all laugh at Denny Hamlin's ultra consecutive strategy to give up stage points.... Only to wreck and finish 24th?
Denny and 23/11 are no longer a cup team, they didn't sign the agreement. Oh wait, Denny still drives for JGR

Not looking forward to Dega at all. Super speedway races are just a lot of "fake" excitement to me. NBC's bunch did a great job of painting a picture that to me at least was not real. Jeff Burton finally mentioned near the end but the biggest issue was no one could pass the leader and I can't remember a "plate" race where track position was so important.

Big takeaways from the day - this is why I hate this playoff format. Larson makes a huge mistake that should really put him in jeopardy if missing the round of 12 but it really doesn't mean much. He's still 15 or so to the good and barring another major disaster over the next 2 weeks he will be fine and move on to the next round and barley need to perform there either because of his playoff points. Don't get me wrong - they earned that with all their wins/stage wins this season and my problem is not them but more the fact that this format allows the best to not have to perform on the big stage. It removes drama and excitement to put more weight on wins. I want to see Larson now have to win to advance - which obviously he has a great shot to do but it would be more exiting to have to see him overcome this mistake by winning now. Man though - dude has 40 playoff points and only about 15 above the cutline.

I noted it before but the package needs work for the cars to be able to pass more - especially pass the leader. One of the best things about these races in the past was at least there would be lots of lead changes - now we don't even have that. This was barley above a parade.

Oh well - hoping for some good racing at the Glen and Bristol over the next couple weeks.

Forgot to mention one thing - Anyone think Denny will rethink his strategy at the next speedway? LOL. Rides in the back all day to avoid the wreck and still gets caught in the wreck. Love it.

Yep. I know damn well that Larson will be champ, so I'm going to enjoy the copium while I can. :XXROFL::beerbang:
I still don't think he will be. He will make the final 4 but don't see him beating the Yotas and Fords at the finale. Unless Chevy has learned something. I will be happy if Chase makes the round of 8 at this point but that's just how sports are going for me right now. I am a Notre Dame Football fan so.......yeah.

Forgot to mention one thing - Anyone think Denny will rethink his strategy at the next speedway? LOL. Rides in the back all day to avoid the wreck and still gets caught in the wreck. Love it.
I dont like when they sit in the back. To me its not racing, there use to be a rule about not running 100%

I know it’s not Denny, but Hocevar did it at Daytona and came away with an 11th place finish. Really, it’s not a bad strategy. It’s boring and certainly not entertaining from a fans perspective, but if you don’t need stage points, it’s worth the gamble. It didn’t work out, but I expect the same strategy from him at Dega.

I know it’s not Denny, but Hocevar did it at Daytona and came away with an 11th place finish. Really, it’s not a bad strategy. It’s boring and certainly not entertaining from a fans perspective, but if you don’t need stage points, it’s worth the gamble. It didn’t work out, but I expect the same strategy from him at Dega.
Eh, you bet on the big one. Sometimes you are the windshield, sometimes you are the bug. Hamlin starting in the back didn't want to try to work thru the field. His crew chief wanted him to. Splat he was the bug this time. I bet he won't be riding in the back at Watkins Glenn.

That's twice in the past few races that's happened to him, also at Michigan 3 races ago. I guess running on the edge all the time, it's bound to happen now and then.
Yeah - loosing it like that at a speedway race is really odd though. Just don't see it much. I personally have never liked the "balls to the wall" approach and always had more respect for consistency. That said, it's hard to argue with Larson's approach in this format. I feel like Chase has driven a very smart and calculated season but he just does not have the playoff points to really go through the playoffs. Larson on the other hand has caused his own mess 3 or 4 times this season probably and he's in a much better place. Yesterday was a perfect example of Chase seemingly doing a better job of not pushing his car to a place it was not capable of going but he does not have a lot to show for this throughout the season though. With his approach, I see it as 50/50 that he will make the round of 8 and if he does he will only make the final 4 if he wins in the round of 8. Larson on the other hand will likely make the final 4 without too much issue barring further major disaster.

Can someone dummy down how the points work for me. On the nascar site it has Larson in 10th with 2041 points. Then in brackets is (253) I remember Larry Mac I think it was when the format changed about being able to take points with you. How is this done

Thanks

Can someone dummy down how the points work for me. On the nascar site it has Larson in 10th with 2041 points. Then in brackets is (253) I remember Larry Mac I think it was when the format changed about being able to take points with you. How is this done

Thanks
Prior to the start of the playoffs, all playoff drivers will have their points adjusted to 2,000, with all playoff points added to their total.

Frankly, I don't know what the hell he was thinking, and I think that Gabehart was curious too. The only thing that I can think of is that he didn't want to end the day like Larson, and the engine penalty had him spooked. He has to absolutely race Waktins Glen now, and then manage Bristol. Denny has laughed off the road courses on his podcast, and Gabehart has said that he has speed, but lacks consistency and the ability to manage runs on road courses. This is already interesting. Do I think he can pull it off? Absolutely. Back isn't to the wall just yet, but it could be this time next week.
Yeah. I just think Denny is way too good of a superspeedway racer to pull the **** he did at Atlanta.
Yeah - loosing it like that at a speedway race is really odd though. Just don't see it much. I personally have never liked the "balls to the wall" approach and always had more respect for consistency. That said, it's hard to argue with Larson's approach in this format. I feel like Chase has driven a very smart and calculated season but he just does not have the playoff points to really go through the playoffs. Larson on the other hand has caused his own mess 3 or 4 times this season probably and he's in a much better place. Yesterday was a perfect example of Chase seemingly doing a better job of not pushing his car to a place it was not capable of going but he does not have a lot to show for this throughout the season though. With his approach, I see it as 50/50 that he will make the round of 8 and if he does he will only make the final 4 if he wins in the round of 8. Larson on the other hand will likely make the final 4 without too much issue barring further major disaster.

That's the thing though. Larson is in the position he is in, not just because of his wins and stage wins. Despite his wrecking, he's been the most consistent points racer all year. He averages the most points per race.

Based on today's points scoring format, he's the best full season racer this year, he's got the most playoff points this year etc.

While his checkers or wreckers has been frustrating, he's still finished and executed good enough to be the best driver in the series this year..I wish he would settle like he did earlier in the season. But I suppose you have to live with it.

Most wins. Most playoffs points. Most laps lead. Most points per race and the obvious regular season champ if he didn't miss the 600.

It's hard to imagine anyone has been better. Sure. Elliott has been more consistent.

But Larson, for all his wrecking, leads the series in wins and is Objectively the best points racer on the season. I don't think people criticizing his checkers or wreckers style are being objective this year. Outside of Iowa, Chicago, Michigan, and Atlanta, he's been mistake free, and good enough to dominate the season in wins, playoff points, and regular season points, 600 not withstanding

Yeah. I just think Denny is way too good of a superspeedway racer to pull the **** he did at Atlanta.

That's the thing though. Larson is in the position he is in, not just because of his wins and stage wins. Despite his wrecking, he's been the most consistent points racer all year. He averages the most points per race.

Based on today's points scoring format, he's the best full season racer this year, he's got the most playoff points this year etc.

While his checkers or wreckers has been frustrating, he's still finished and executed good enough to be the best driver in the series this year..I wish he would settle like he did earlier in the season. But I suppose you have to live with it.

Most wins. Most playoffs points. Most laps lead. Most points per race and the obvious regular season champ if he didn't miss the 600.

It's hard to imagine anyone has been better. Sure. Elliott has been more consistent.

But Larson, for all his wrecking, leads the series in wins and is Objectively the best points racer on the season. I don't think people criticizing his checkers or wreckers style are being objective this year. Outside of Iowa, Chicago, Michigan, and Atlanta, he's been mistake free, and good enough to dominate the season in wins, playoff points, and regular season points, 600 not withstanding
I don't know what "objectively" the best points season means. He did not win the regular season title so therefore he did not have the best overall most consistent points year in my opinion but to each their own if you believe that from your POV. What he has done in my opinion is shown that the checkers or wreckers approach works in today's NASCAR as apparently that's what NASCAR thinks the fans want to see. 40 playoff points is an absurd amount of points that is basically giving him a race over everyone else. I understand he went out there and earned it and credit to him and the team for that....but...I just think, like I have said, it removed drama and excitement from the playoffs. Even making a huge mistake like that he will likely be just fine and those 40 points will most likely carry him all the way to Phoenix. It's boring and I say that as a Chase fan who was in a similar situation in 2022 after having the best regular season with the most wins AND points..

I have said it before but NASCAR created "playoffs" because they wanted to be more like other sports and create "game 7" type moments. You can't do that if you spot the better teams so many points. Some of the greatest upsets of all time would never have happened. Imagine telling the NFL team with the best record they get 17 points on the board to start each playoff game. Or MLB teams getting 5 runs to carry into each playoff game. Would be very boring and lots of drama and excitement gone. Using the Chase in 2022 example again - he had no business in the final 4 that year because they did not run well in the seconds half so another car that had a better shot could have been there if not for playoff points.

Maybe they should make the first round a wild-card round of some type. I don't know. This is all just me. Anyone who like sit the way it is I am truly glad you are enjoying it and again - credit to the 5 bunch for putting themselves in this position.

Back
Top Bottom