Cup RACE thread --- Charlotte Roval

Uh, none? :biggrin:

No, but three of them gave it a hell of a try. Bowman's chances were pretty much squashed by the electrical issues, but he still managed a decent finish. I don't think he could have won the race anyway, but he HAS gone top 5 there, so anything is possible. Byron had a real shot until Reddick punted him, Harv might just have made it if he didn't wreck himself, and Bell was fast early, but never seemed to recover from the pit road penalty. I don't think you can say any of them just folded up.

Hot off the press!

No, but three of them gave it a hell of a try. Bowman's chances were pretty much squashed by the electrical issues, but he still managed a decent finish. I don't think he could have won the race anyway, but he HAS gone top 5 there, so anything is possible. Byron had a real shot until Reddick punted him, Harv might just have made it if he didn't wreck himself, and Bell was fast early, but never seemed to recover from the pit road penalty. I don't think you can say any of them just folded up.
I agree with everything in your post except the part about Bowman not being able to win. The only car I saw that I thought he may not be able to beat was Elliott's before he was crashed by Harvick. Bowman has the 2nd highest average finish on the Roval and before he had the electrical problem he was moving towards the front pretty rapidly and he had already passed the eventual winner of the race "Larson" to take over the 5th position. Plus it was all or nothing for the 48 so they may have took some on the edge chances that some of the others racing for points may not have taken. I just think there was to much racing left before the electrical problem for me to form an opinion that he didn't have a chance to win.

A real rivalry? Eh. It’s just Kevin Harvick wrecking Chase Elliott over and over while Chase keeps beating him.

Feels like Rusty Wallace / Jeff Gordon all over again.
It's a real rivalry. This is going on for weeks and they don't like each other and they both taking jabs

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I agree with everything in your post except the part about Bowman not being able to win. The only car I saw that I thought he may not be able to beat was Elliott's before he was crashed by Harvick. Bowman has the 2nd highest average finish on the Roval and before he had the electrical problem he was moving towards the front pretty rapidly and he had already passed the eventual winner of the race "Larson" to take over the 5th position. Plus it was all or nothing for the 48 so they may have took some on the edge chances that some of the others racing for points may not have taken. I just think there was to much racing left before the electrical problem for me to form an opinion that he didn't have a chance to win.
OK, well my thinking was that Alex runs very well at Charlotte, BUT he has yet to be a real threat to actually win there or any other road course. I just don't know that he's quite at the next step where he can go heads up on a road course with the 9, 5, 11, or 19 and beat them. IF he could have gotten to the top 3-4 as he has in past though, anything can happen. I certinly wouldn't have considered it a toal upset if he had won though, and you know I'm always pulling for him. Of the four, he's my second favorite HMS driver. I would have said much the same thing about Byron, but in this case he had gotten the lead and was more than holding his own until he got punted.

I don't know why but it seems like Bell is just a repeat of Jones.

I have like Bell, he seems like a good guy and is obviously quite talented, but once again, for whatever reason, a JGR Xfinity ride seems to create unrealistic expectations for the Cup Series. I think he will have a fine career, but I think some people thought he would be rivaling his teamamtes almost from the start. I know people will poo poo this coming from a HMS/JRM fan, but what Chase, Byron and Reddick did in JRM cars impressed me a lot more than what any of these guys in the JGR cars have done, knowing how good the JGR cars make drivers look. That's my big caution on Harrison Burton. I'm not hating on the guy, but if he is that average in a JGR Xfinity car, what's he going to do against twenty guys with stuff as good as his? The fact that he hasn't come remotely close to what Bell, Jones, or even that bull in a china shop Ty Gibbs has done ought to tell people something.

A day removed from the race I have to say this, NASCAR made the right call by not black flagging Chase. I don’t care who it is out there, when a guy is in a strong position to win and gets intentionally taken out, you have to give them leeway.

I know he’s the most popular driver and all but that post race interview made it quite clear that was an intentional wreck. Have to give that driver every opportunity to continue on with a fighting chance

A day removed from the race I have to say this, NASCAR made the right call by not black flagging Chase. I don’t care who it is out there, when a guy is in a strong position to win and gets intentionally taken out, you have to give them leeway.

I know he’s the most popular driver and all but that post race interview made it quite clear that was an intentional wreck. Have to give that driver every opportunity to continue on with a fighting chance

I agree 100%. I think NASCAR would rather not eliminate someone from playoff contention on a judgement call, especially when the driver or team are not at fault for what happened. I'm going to regret mentioning this, but NASCAR also let Byron get away with not coming to a complete stop EITHER time he tried to when Reddick punted him into the chicane, but probably let it slide since it wasn't his fault and would likely have totally taken him out of contention. Larson probably got a few benefits of the doubt last week at Talladega too. I don't think ANYBODY is really in favor of overly heavy handed officiating, especially when the drivers in question were victims of somebody else's mistake or retaliation.

Hot off the press!
I'll wait for the and Happy Christmas part

OK, well my thinking was that Alex runs very well at Charlotte, BUT he has yet to be a real threat to actually win there or any other road course. I just don't know that he's quite at the next step where he can go heads up on a road course with the 9, 5, 11, or 19 and beat them. IF he could have gotten to the top 3-4 as he has in past though, anything can happen. I certinly wouldn't have considered it a toal upset if he had won though, and you know I'm always pulling for him. Of the four, he's my second favorite HMS driver. I would have said much the same thing about Byron, but in this case he had gotten the lead and was more than holding his own until he got punted.
I can understand the view you have in that post. I also realize at least one of Alex's wins this year he kind of backed into, but he has also had a lot of bad luck and bad pit mistakes "which one of them was his fault for speeding". I don't know what is going on with the car this year but it just doesn't seem like it was handling very good for him this year and he has had to drive on the edge. I just feel he is a much better driver then his stats or performance has showed this year and I think a lot of fans tend to underestimate his talent a little.

Last edited:
I can agree with everything you said in that post. I also realize at least one of Alex's wins this year he kind of backed into, but he has also had a lot of bad luck and bad pit mistakes "which one of them was his fault for speeding". I don't know what is going on with the car this year but it just doesn't seem like it was handling very good for him this year and he has had to drive on the edge. I just feel he is a much better driver then his stats or performance has showed this year and I think a lot of fans tend to underestimate his talent a little.
I think people have underestimated him and sold him short from day one. That's one of the big reasons I pull for him. I think he can be as good as the cars they give him. To me, he's a lunch bucket guy. Shows up on time, does his job and goes home. No drawing attention to himself, no running his mouth, no trying to be a media darling. My kind of guy.

I think people have underestimated him and sold him short from day one. That's one of the big reasons I pull for him. I think he can be as good as the cars they give him. To me, he's a lunch bucket guy. Shows up on time, does his job and goes home. No drawing attention to himself, no running his mouth, no trying to be a media darling. My kind of guy.
Absolutely...plus he didn't come from a wealthy family and he worked his but off to get where he is today, and I will bet the farm that he will never forget that Dale Earnhardt Jr was instrumental in giving him his first break and getting him a job with Rick Hendrick. I also will bet the farm that no matter how much money anyone else would ever offer him he would never leave HMS unless he was let go because that is just the kind of guy he is. As long as Rick Hendrick likes him and his sponsors like him he will have many more chances to win a championship...and so far they do. :)

Back
Top Bottom