Cup RACE thread --- Chicago Street Course

I highly doubt he comes to a traditional road course and wins. Line him up at Sonoma or Watkins Glen or the Roval and see what happens. He would do well but he wouldn’t annihilate them like he did on a street course, a type of track where less than a handful of them have ever raced.
Exactly, Im not saying he couldnt win, he is a talent but that track was totally in his wheel house no pun intended.He definitely put on a show and his braking zone were insane

I was worried about ya lol . Notice that we have a whole bunch of SVG experts all of a sudden here at the ol R-F now. :D
I can’t speak for anyone else but myself. I’ve followed plenty of series around the world since middle school. BTCC, DTM, Supercars, MotoGP, WRC, F1… you get the point. Expert? A bit much… an obsessive motorsports fan? Absolutely.

I wonder how many drivers are studying the footwork of SVG to see how he used the clutch to dive into the corners harder than they could. TV said he was using it to prevent wheel hop.
Larson basically said he doesn’t have a prayer of figuring that out, lol

“It was wild watching his feet work,” Larson said. “There’s no way, absolutely no way, if that’s how you have to drive a Supercar and if I ever got to drive one, there’s just no way. Go ahead and scratch off the Supercar from cars I would want to race if that’s how you have to race them.”

Brodie Kostecki and Cam Waters are probably not far behind in making some guest appearances over the next year or two so it’ll be cool to see if they can duplicate his success. Shane said 10 drivers from Supercars could come and do what he did and I can think of about 6-8 that could fit the bill of not necessarily winning outright, but be really competitive the whole weekend off the bat at any road course.

I didn’t watch the entire race but I would have liked to have seen what this race could have been without the rain and without being shortened.

SVG might be racing a tad more here next year

I think he’ll be a beast on road courses but we’ll see how he takes to ovals. He could be another Tony Stewart, who comes in and just gets everything right away.

Who has an open seat though? SHR with the 10? Could WBR/Penske boot Harrison? Would 23XI or RCR or RFK or Trackhouse buy a charter and expand?

SVG needs to avoid being the next JPM or Ambrose. He’ll be hurt by mediocre equipment.

I think he’ll be a beast on road courses but we’ll see how he takes to ovals. He could be another Tony Stewart, who comes in and just gets everything right away.

Who has an open seat though? SHR with the 10? Could WBR/Penske boot Harrison? Would 23XI or RCR or RFK or Trackhouse buy a charter and expand?

SVG needs to avoid being the next JPM or Ambrose. He’ll be hurt by mediocre equipment.
Boy, this guy has become legend with one race. Has anybody ever seen him on an oval? Another road course? Does he bring money?

Boy, this guy has become legend with one race. Has anybody ever seen him on an oval? Another road course? Does he bring money?

I am hesitant to jump on the hype train. He may end up being another Allmendinger, who takes a bit to adjust to ovals.

I do hate that we’ve just normalized “does he bring money” as a question when we’re talking about someone earning a ride. This sport’s funding structure is broken.

Maybe 23XI Racing can run the 67 full time for van Gisbergen. Both parties seem capable of attracting sponsorship.

Apparently Haley got 20 minutes on the simulator at 9pm on Thursday.
Such bull****. Why? It's one thing for Chevy to tell him to go to hell, it is another to tell him to go to hell....but if you are really serious, nobody that matters more is in it at that time. Great kid...deserves better....and Kaulig.....WTF?

I am hesitant to jump on the hype train. He may end up being another Allmendinger, who takes a bit to adjust to ovals.

I do hate that we’ve just normalized “does he bring money” as a question when we’re talking about someone earning a ride. This sport’s funding structure is broken.
Yeah, I hear you, but holy ****....one race in a format and car familiar to him.....Ovals? Short tracks? We don't even know.....but gotta love the fanbase.

Such bull****. Why? It's one thing for Chevy to tell him to go to hell, it is another to tell him to go to hell....but if you are really serious, nobody that matters more is in it at that time. Great kid...deserves better....and Kaulig.....WTF?
The top 5 places were Chevys, the next three places were Fords. I believe if I were you, I would focus elsewhere.

The top 5 places were Chevys, the next three places were Fords. I believe if I were you, I would focus elsewhere.
Not worried about US. We are everything the Chevys are except illegal and more. 6/6 in Playoff position.

A lot of teams in sponsors would be interested in having a really good shot at victory five or six weekends each season and parlaying it into a playoff berth. I don’t think anyone expects him to pick up ovals right away and be a title contender or anything.

Ambrose’s skill set also translated pretty well to short tracks.

A lot of teams in sponsors would be interested in having a really good shot at victory five or six weekends each season and parlaying it into a playoff berth. I don’t think anyone expects him to pick up ovals right away and be a title contender or anything.

Ambrose’s skill set also translated pretty well to short tracks.

There's definitely going to be a learning curve on ovals. The Supercars are similar enough to Cup cars that he should pick up the basic mechanics pretty quickly but there are some nuances to oval racing that he might need time to pick up. I think short tracks will be easiest to pick up but racing on an oval larger than mile might take a season to get used to.

There's definitely going to be a learning curve on ovals. The Supercars are similar enough to Cup cars that he should pick up the basic mechanics pretty quickly but there are some nuances to oval racing that he might need time to pick up. I think short tracks will be easiest to pick up but racing on an oval larger than mile might take a season to get used to.
Tell ya what.....SVG's comment that anybody in the top 10 in the Aussie Supercars could do what he did, and some of the stuff that was said down there in the media about the "American bubble" doesn't sit well with me. You won on a course Cup guys have never even thought of. Congrats. You aren't Seven Time. I respect what he did, but you know, there are two sides to this coin. I think that it is pretty amazing that the Cup regulars matched his pace--given that this is what this guy does. I think we need to pump the breaks a bit.....I did, however, enjoy reading that the poor guy couldn't find his way into The Felon's empire for the Garage 56 thing.

Tell ya what.....SVG's comment that anybody in the top 10 in the Aussie Supercars could do what he did, and some of the stuff that was said down there in the media about the "American bubble" doesn't sit well with me. You won on a course Cup guys have never even thought of. Congrats. You aren't Seven Time. I respect what he did, but you know, there are two sides to this coin. I think that it is pretty amazing that the Cup regulars matched his pace--given that this is what this guy does. I think we need to pump the breaks a bit.....I did, however, enjoy reading that the poor guy couldn't find his way into The Felon's empire for the Garage 56 thing.
He sounds a bit more humble than a certain R-F poster when a Toyota wins a race. :idunno:

He sounds a bit more humble than a certain R-F poster when a Toyota wins a race. :idunno:
I am not racing the car with a microphone in my face, but I am flattered by your assessment of my impact. Back to topic, SVG's comment was a big swing. I think he was trying to give props to his peers, but it didn't come off with me. While I feel like the "greatest drivers in the world" thing is a little excessive in relation to our NASCAR guys, I don't think our series necessarily plays second to anybody.

While I feel like the "greatest drivers in the world" thing is a little excessive in relation to our NASCAR guys, I don't think our series necessarily plays second to anybody.

There are a lot of NASCAR fans who don't seem to particularly like NASCAR. I'm sure they were over the moon with SVG.

I am not racing the car with a microphone in my face, but I am flattered by your assessment of my impact. Back to topic, SVG's comment was a big swing. I think he was trying to give props to his peers, but it didn't come off with me. While I feel like the "greatest drivers in the world" thing is a little excessive in relation to our NASCAR guys, I don't think our series necessarily plays second to anybody.
Sure sounded like you were miffed about it. Myself? bring ten of them up here, enter them at Daytona, or Dega, or COTA. Bring it.

Back
Top Bottom