Cup RACE thread --- Chicago Street Course

On the surface, sure.

But really, look at it. Is it that reasonable that a driver who races road courses every single week, for years, in a car that is remarkably similar to a cup car, comes into a cup car that has championship speed....at a track no one else has been to...and dominates?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
That’s why I picked him. Wish I had betted on the outcome too. They run street courses over in the Supercars series on a regular basis, year in and year out. If there was a perfect choice for him to come over and make a statement, this was the time and the place. The track kind of puts me in mind of Adelaide (that is one of their street courses, right? Been a while since I watched.) Anyone who isn’t familiar, I’d recommend following him. He’s a multi-faceted talent. You might even spot him competing in a few rallies here and there. @Revman’s wheelhouse.

This.

NASCAR drivers have never had to respect course limits before.

It wasn’t a death penalty to make a mistake, but it was costly.

And frankly it's just not a huge part of the discipline. All things considered he probably felt more at home than most of the cup guys. A heavy stock car on a road course where his competitors don't run road courses often and I've never been to this track?

Thia guy is Marco Ambrose 2.0. same situation. Rewind a decade ago, and put Ambrose in a Gibbs car, or a Roush car and go to a racetrack no one's been to. He would wax the field.

The cuff drivers today had to be mindful of boundaries and all things considered SVG was probably far more comfortable.

Have by no means and minimizing his talents because he's clearly exceptional, but this basically was the equivalent of putting a bunch of cup guys in a V8 race with one V8 guy.

I'd imagine next year, and the year after that, cup drivers will get better and we won't see a V8 guy wax the field by a second per lap again like he did.

But for this race? He was at home.

I'm just defending the cup guys here.

There were a handful of drivers that could run with SVG today but they all took themselves out or got taken out. Bell and Larson got put back in traffic by the track blocking wreck, Truex and Reddick crashed themselves. It’s not like SVG stomped them, it just happened to be that he was the one guy that made no mistakes.
SVG passed Larson shortly after the restart. Though, Larson would have had quite a few spots ahead of him without that.

Still, SVGs best lap was 0.8 faster than anyone.

SVG has also won in a dirt sprint car, and does some rally and drifting. He should really be in the conversation for best driver in the world next to names that are usually brought up like Verstappen and Larson. The Next Gen car and the Supercar are pretty similar and he has hundreds of street course starts. If he showed up to Bristol, Charlotte or even Watkins Glen and won then we could talk about “embarrassing” but no shame in this one.

That’s why I picked him. Wish I had betted on the outcome too. They run street courses over in the Supercars series on a regular basis, year in and year out. If there was a perfect choice for him to come over and make a statement, this was the time and the place. The track kind of puts me in mind of Adelaide (that is one of their street courses, right? Been a while since I watched.) Anyone who isn’t familiar, I’d recommend following him. He’s a multi-faceted talent. You might even spot him competing in a few rallies here and there. @Revman’s wheelhouse.
Yeah. Experience and a fast car paid off..he's always going to be a threat in a car like that. But I'd guess next year, the project 91 driver won't be 0.8 faster than the field.

SVG and company race at my most favorite CART circuit ever, Surfer’s Paradise. I gotta check out more of this

Screw it. I’m all in. Maybe we’ll get Ross treatment and suddenly be the next Dale!

Comparing Chase Elliott to Dale Earnhardt is like comparing a piece of chocolate cake to a piece of white bread. One is exciting and the other is boring as all ****.

Dale had more personality in his sleep than Chase could ever hope to have. Ross drives like Dale, Chase drives nothing like that.

My hats off to NASCAR for getting a race in that so many were giving up on... and it turned out to be a very exciting race. I said I was going to come in with an open mind and now I am really looking forward to the next street race. Congrats to Shane Van Gisbergen for an awesome win. :punkrocke

My hats off to NASCAR for getting a race in that so many were giving up on... and it turned out to be a very exciting race. I said I was going to come in with an open mind and now I am really looking forward to the next street race. Congrats to Shane Van Gisbergen for an awesome win. :punkrocke
I was worried about ya lol . Notice that we have a whole bunch of SVG experts all of a sudden here at the ol R-F now. :D

Comparing Chase Elliott to Dale Earnhardt is like comparing a piece of chocolate cake to a piece of white bread. One is exciting and the other is boring as all ****.

Dale had more personality in his sleep than Chase could ever hope to have. Ross drives like Dale, Chase drives nothing like that.
That whoosh you just heard was the joke going right over your head.

I’m with you. Just end the pain already. Can we fake an injury already? Enough. He’s done.
Tough going for sure but I would bet that he still gets a regular season win and makes the cut off.
He will not have many of the stage points that carry over into the playoffs and probably face a quick elimination.

But never forget Tony Stewart in 2011. He had an awful regular season by his standards and then won 5 of the 10 playoff races and the title. (Really wanted to advise reading the above paragraph in the Jeff Burton upper octive or falsetto at a 1/128 tempo or speed, but is this supposed to be a comforting post).

That whoosh you just heard was the joke going right over your head.

Pavlovian response to seeing an Elliott compared to Dale. :p My dad used to call his dad Bill Idiot.

I want to see SVG back for Roval and the Glen

I am excited to see what guys end up in the 91 in the future. This has to be a HUGE boost to the team’s credibility and any guy who takes Trackhouse’s offer knows that they’re going to get race winning equipment.

At this point

Can't imagine Marks's phone isn't ringing off the hook.

I'd like to see Scotty Mac run with them. I know he's a Penske driver, but he's a Chevy Indycar driver, and one sponsored by Shell/Pennzoil at that. Trackhouse has the Quaker State deal now, and Quaker State is owned by Shell. So the manufacturer and sponsor alliances add-up ok.

Can't imagine Marks's phone isn't ringing off the hook.

I'd like to see Scotty Mac run with them. I know he's a Penske driver, but he's a Chevy Indycar driver, and one sponsored by Shell/Pennzoil at that. Trackhouse has the Quaker State deal now, and Quaker State is owned by Shell. So the manufacturer and sponsor alliances add-up ok.
now I want to see Kimi run the 91 again.

now I want to see Kimi run the 91 again.
I loved seeing Kimi in the car but in the name of variety I'd like to see them branch out a bit, unless they decided to really ramp up the number of events they're entering.

I hope they run at least one more this year. Either way though, it's mission accomplished this year even if they put Project 91 on the shelf until next year.

I think his point is how bad the NASCAR series is. Can you think of any other sport where a guy comes in and on the first night smashes his opponents in a variation of the sport he’s good at. Bad look for NASCAR imo.
He is a street course ace, thats part of his DNA. Dont come in here and say NASCAR is a bad series because SVG would get his ass handed to him on ovals.

He is a street course ace, thats part of his DNA. Dont come in here and say NASCAR is a bad series because SVG would get his ass handed to him on ovals.
I highly doubt he comes to a traditional road course and wins. Line him up at Sonoma or Watkins Glen or the Roval and see what happens. He would do well but he wouldn’t annihilate them like he did on a street course, a type of track where less than a handful of them have ever raced.

Back
Top Bottom