Cup RACE thread --- COTA

What happened to 18? I was running between rooms watching race and bball
I saw some in-car posted on twitter, looks like he spun by himself and then recovered quickly but got tapped by the 21 and spun again as he was getting back up to speed.

IMSA somehow pulls it off
Do stock cars get stalled more often than other series? My unscientific unsupported opinion is that stock cars on road courses have more incidents that require a wrecker and debris clean-up than what I see in IMSA or IndyCar. Yes, Cup races are longer but they seem to have a greater percentage of yellow laps overall (if I wore overalls, which I don't). IMSA seems more tolerant of debris on the track than NASCAR.

Do stock cars get stalled more often than other series? My unscientific unsupported opinion is that stock cars on road courses have more incidents that require a wrecker and debris clean-up than what I see in IMSA or IndyCar. Yes, Cup races are longer but they seem to have a greater percentage of yellow laps overall (if I wore overalls, which I don't). IMSA seems more tolerant of debris on the track than NASCAR.
All fair points I guess

I wouldn't compare IMSA's safety record with NASCAR's and use it as the high pillar for caution procedures. Nor would I compare it to the TV money and coverage the both get. Compromises will be made. Expecting Nascar to bite the hand that feeds them by saying we have to get commercials in isn't going to happen either.

Extended cleanup or recovery is at minimum a VSC pretty much everywhere else. Besides the last caution for the incident in turn 1, which was questionable, I think everything necessitated that. Not sure what the first debris caution was for (FOX never said/showed) and whether that would’ve been recoverable with a local.

I don't have a problem with the number of cautions, but they do need to figure a way to get them back to racing a little quicker IMO. The main complaint I have is the guy that is switching to different cameras when there are cars getting ready to make a pass inside of the top 5 or 10 positions. At least twice Sunday there was a battle between the 9 and 48 cars and once the 9 was getting ready to pass the 48 and the other time the 48 was setting up to pass the 9 and both times they switched the cameras to that boring camera that was in the second-place car that only showed the back of the leader's car. The only way I knew the pass was actually made was by looking at the position numbers. Sometimes I wish we were back to just 1 or 2 cameras. :(

it's all about FOX and their commercials
and it took 5 laps per caution minimum at COTA

Part of what takes so much time are the laps at pace car speed. It takes 2 sometimes 3 laps to get them lined up and then to let them pit. Another one or two for them to come around for the restart if all goes well and there isn't oil on the track. That is around 8, 10 miles or so at the under pace car speed. I think some of it is Nascar getting the timing, scoring, and starting positions right. And then they have to get all of the promos in to boot before during and after the caution.

Back
Top Bottom