Cup RACE thread --- COTA

They haven't quit awarding stage points, they just removed the caution part.
I know that, but the argument was that we needed to award stage points because the drivers were just cruising around for 3/4
of the race. Mr. Taylor and Mr Button would argue otherwise. If guys will wreck you racing for 28th place, they don't need stage points to motivate them.

I know that, but the argument was that we needed to award stage points because the drivers were just cruising around for 3/4
of the race. Mr. Taylor and Mr Button would argue otherwise. If guys will wreck you racing for 28th place, they don't need stage points to motivate them.
I guess that would make sense if they weren't awarding stage points, but they are.
There is more of a case to be made about the ringers being used to riding around holding the wheel, if they were surprised by Nascar drivers that don't do that.

I guess that would make sense if they weren't awarding stage points, but they are.
There is more of a case to be made about the ringers being used to riding around holding the wheel, if they were surprised by Nascar drivers that don't do that.

If you are racing for 28th, stage points are pretty irrelevant. The thing about drivers from other series is that most are either coming from series like IMSA, where you will likely be heavily penalized for rough driving, or F1 or Indycar where contact likely means you will be knocked out of the race. In NASCAR, especially with the new car, there is actually very little risk to driving like a total a-hole. The car is hard to damage, NASCAR likely will never penalize you, and none of the drivers have the grit to go whip your ass for doing it.

If you are racing for 28th, stage points are pretty irrelevant. The thing about drivers from other series is that most are either coming from series like IMSA, where you will likely be heavily penalized for rough driving, or F1 or Indycar where contact likely means you will be knocked out of the race. In NASCAR, especially with the new car, there is actually very little risk to driving like a total a-hole. The car is hard to damage, NASCAR likely will never penalize you, and none of the drivers have the grit to go whip your ass for doing it.
They pay more for every position you advance. All you have to do is look at who finished where. From 1st to 12th there were 10 different teams represented. They didn't get there by wheel holding.

They pay more for every position you advance. All you have to do is look at who finished where. From 1st to 12th there were 10 different teams represented. They didn't get there by wheel holding.
And was that NOT true before we had stage points? My whole point being that I NEVER bought into the notion that many of these drivers were just riding around waiting for the end of the race, which was the justification many used to support the concept of stage points. I also don't think for one second that Jordon or Jensen or Kimi got where there are by being "wheel holders". The issue is that the rules of engagement are so completely foreign to 90% of the rest of the racing world that it presents a complete culture shock to drivers from other disciplines. That's not an endorsement or a condemnation of NASCAR, just an admission of reality. Whether you love him or hate him, Ross Chastain in his current form wouldn't last a month in any of these other series.

And was that NOT true before we had stage points? My whole point being that I NEVER bought into the notion that many of these drivers were just riding around waiting for the end of the race, which was the justification many used to support the concept of stage points. I also don't think for one second that Jordon or Jensen or Kimi got where there are by being "wheel holders". The issue is that the rules of engagement are so completely foreign to 90% of the rest of the racing world that it presents a complete culture shock to drivers from other disciplines. That's not an endorsement or a condemnation of NASCAR, just an admission of reality. Whether you love him or hate him, Ross Chastain in his current form wouldn't last a month in any of these other series.
You must not watch other racing series. It's closer to the opposite. 10% live in a no touch world.
I wonder how much attention you are paying to the races. In almost every race without exception there is hard racing at the ending of the stages.

How soon it is forgotten the fight to stay awake trying to watch lap after lap of wheel holding single file racing.

Foreign touring car series also tend to be contact-friendly; NASCAR’s really not entirely alone in that aspect. As for sandbagging 3/4 of a race - racing is all about getting the most you can. You’re only as good as your last race, right?

Back
Top Bottom