Cup RACE thread --- Darlington

I dont get why Dale Earnhardt has to be brought in this...... I frankly find it kind of irrelevant to be like "See Dale did it, so its okay?" It's almost like when I was a kid, I would get in trouble for something at school, the exact same thing I would see a friend do and get away with but when I got caught it was "Well so and so Did that." I wonder if this fan base will ever move on........as much as I like the Earnhardts sometimes its like "Do you have anything new to say?"

I dont get why Dale Earnhardt has to be brought in this...... I frankly find it kind of irrelevant to be like "See Dale did it, so its okay?" It's almost like when I was a kid, I would get in trouble for something at school, the exact same thing I would see a friend do and get away with but when I got caught it was "Well so and so Did that." I wonder if this fan base will ever move on........as much as I like the Earnhardts sometimes its like "Do you have anything new to say?"
Probably because somebody said that Dale Earnhardt didn't wreck anybody ya think?

I think he is brought up because he used to do this type of stuff BEFORE it was a common occurrence and HIS fans loved it and his detractors HATED it (usually their guy that got roughed up). Then Jeff came along and made an art out of it by moving them without wrecking them usually so it became accepted. I guess the thinking was since over half the fandom back then LOVED it why does Joey get heat by more than half now when he does it? That's just my guess?

When did Dale Earnhardt EVER purposely enter a corner with too much speed, intending to use another car as his brakes and take them out in the process?

Probably because somebody said that Dale Earnhardt didn't wreck anybody ya think?
that would be false if that was the premise though. But he last wrecked somebody going 23 years ago.

Earnhardt accidentally hooked DW at Richmond in '86. He had a feud with Bodine in the late 80's and spun him out a few times just to be a dick. He bumped Labonte at Bristol in '99, didn't intend to wreck him, just "rattle his cage".......and guess what, the fans hated it. Yeah, Earnhardt was rough compared to the rest of the field back then, but he wasn't doing a lot of the stuff you see in today's NASCAR. The way some of these guys drive nowadays is on another level. They make Earnhardt's antics look tame in comparison.

I think he is brought up because he used to do this type of stuff BEFORE it was a common occurrence and HIS fans loved it and his detractors HATED it (usually their guy that got roughed up). Then Jeff came along and made an art out of it by moving them without wrecking them usually so it became accepted. I guess the thinking was since over half the fandom back then LOVED it why does Joey get heat by more than half now when he does it? That's just my guess?

You said it yourself, Jeff made an art out of it. See what Jeff did to Rusty at Bristol, there's nuance to it. He was faster, he needed to get by him, and at Bristol back then it was the only way. He moved him, he didn't wreck him. It was clean, it was fair, it was short track racing at it's finest. The faster car won the race and Rusty was runner-up.

Joey gets heat because it was such an unnecessary overreaction. Byron's MISTAKE only cost Joey a couple car lengths. An honest mistake on a part of the track that was causing issues for some of the sport's best drivers all day long. Joey's payback was way over the top. Again, the punishment didn't fit the crime.

Earnhardt accidentally hooked DW at Richmond in '86. He had a feud with Bodine in the late 80's and spun him out a few times just to be a dick. He bumped Labonte at Bristol in '99, didn't intend to wreck him, just "rattle his cage".......and guess what, the fans hated it. Yeah, Earnhardt was rough compared to the rest of the field back then, but he wasn't doing a lot of the stuff you see in today's NASCAR. The way some of these guys drive nowadays is on another level. They make Earnhardt's antics look tame in comparison.
I don't believe that. There have always been rough drivers in the sport. What HAS changed instead of driver'e style is the tougher car and that has enabled more contact than in years past and a points system that doesn't let them ride around. They have to race hard, and chances will have to be taken. Soon I think the fans will come around to the reality that there is going to be more contact. By the same token drivers will have more excuses for "payback talk". I don't think many are dumb enough to damage their car attempting to do a payback, but that won't stop the talk.

If Logano would have hit anybody as hard as he hit Byron as hard as he did with the old car, he would have blown the radiator out of it, knocked the splitter down and probably blew both tires

I don't believe that. There have always been rough drivers in the sport. What HAS changed instead of driver'e style is the tougher car and that has enabled more contact than in years past and a points system that doesn't let them ride around. They have to race hard, and chances will have to be taken. Soon I think the fans will come around to the reality that there is going to be more contact. By the same token drivers will have more excuses for "payback talk". I don't think many are dumb enough to damage their car attempting to do a payback, but that won't stop the talk.

That's a fair point, but considering this "win at all costs" mentality thanks to the playoff format, I think the lines between racing hard and racing dirty have blurred over the last several years. And sometimes it's not even for the win.....

yeah and so?
Im struggling to see how Dale Earnhardt is relevant to what happened yesterday. Joey has driven like this before, I dont think Earnhardt's behavior from 1986 excuses Joey for overreacting and running over Byron. Byron did move up into Logano but didnt ruin his day. If Joey felt the need to rough up Byron to get even thats fair....but he totally wrecked the 24 for the win. I think its an apples and oranges comparison.

That's a fair point, but considering this "win at all costs" mentality thanks to the playoff format, I think the lines between racing hard and racing dirty have blurred over the last several years. And sometimes it's not even for the win.....

I have to say it is THIS year, today, new car. It's going to be controversial IMO. What used to be considered rough driving and probably still is by many fans is going to be more common. The guradrails have expanded about contact with the new car.

Im struggling to see how Dale Earnhardt is relevant to what happened yesterday. Joey has driven like this before, I dont think Earnhardt's behavior from 1986 excuses Joey for overreacting and running over Byron. Byron did move up into Logano but didnt ruin his day. If Joey felt the need to rough up Byron to get even thats fair....but he totally wrecked the 24 for the win. I think its an apples and oranges comparison.

Probably need to go back to the original comment below. Some of us beg to differ about ironhead just moving people to get a win..He wrecked a few also.

Earnhardt would move people to get a win. What Logano did was a bit more than just moving someone.

I have to say it is THIS year, today, new car. It's going to be controversial IMO. What used to be considered rough driving and probably still is by many fans is going to be more common. The guradrails have expanded about contact with the new car.

That's fine, but some guys need to learn what measures are appropriate for retaliation.

Look at the Bristol deal last year with Chase and Harvick. Harvick ran Chase up the track and the contact cut his tire, taking him out of contention. Did Chase go back out there and wreck him? No, he rode around in front of him to help Larson have an easier pass for the lead, but honestly Larson was faster and likely would have won the race regardless. I'm not even sure if I would call that retaliation, but Chase likely knew Harvick's door slam was unintentional, therefore he didn't think it was appropriate to take him out. Harvick still finished 2nd.

That, to me, was "an eye for an eye" and it should have been over. Unfortunately, crybaby Harvick didn't see it that way, and we all know what happened next. Harvick takes out Chase on purpose, and right as Chase has the opportunity to repay the favor, Harvick loses focus and takes himself out.

IMO, what Logano did to Byron wasn't justified, and now Byron owes him some sort of payback. They definitely aren't even.

That's fine, but some guys need to learn what measures are appropriate for retaliation.

Look at the Bristol deal last year with Chase and Harvick. Harvick ran Chase up the track and the contact cut his tire, taking him out of contention. Did Chase go back out there and wreck him? No, he rode around in front of him to help Larson have an easier pass for the lead, but honestly Larson was faster and likely would have won the race regardless. I'm not even sure if I would call that retaliation, but Chase likely knew Harvick's door slam was unintentional, therefore he didn't think it was appropriate to take him out. Harvick still finished 2nd.

That, to me, was "an eye for an eye" and it should have been over. Unfortunately, crybaby Harvick didn't see it that way, and we all know what happened next. Harvick takes out Chase on purpose, and right as Chase has the opportunity to repay the favor, Harvick loses focus and takes himself out.

IMO, what Logano did to Byron wasn't justified, and now Byron owes him some sort of payback. They definitely aren't even.
that's fine and you can beat that drum to death. But what I am saying is get used to it or not because that is the state of the state in Nascar racing. I'm willing to bet that isn't the last time we are going to see contact in the closing laps of the race from now on. Courtesy of the new car.

Bingo. Willy B shouldn’t take him out, but should give him a nice love tap

Probably need to go back to the original comment below. Some of us beg to differ about ironhead just moving people to get a win..He wrecked a few also.
I was just trying to figure out where you and some other posters are coming from is all. Earnhardt moved a few to win, wrecked a few too. It seems with Joey he just wrecks em....or blocks em. Which I dont have a problem with, its actually more exciting way more exciting with last laps shenanigans. I just hope Joey or his fans will take it when its his turn.

Not sure a series of bumper car matches with Logano is a great idea. Seems to be a lot of blocking up to the wall this year. Never remember that many instances of drivers killing momentum by squeezing your competition up the track before this year. It looked to me like it could have been a deliberate move by 24 on that last restart to get the lead.

Not sure a series of bumper car matches with Logano is a great idea. Seems to be a lot of blocking up to the wall this year. Never remember that many instances of drivers killing momentum by squeezing your competition up the track before this year. It looked to me like it could have been a deliberate move by 24 on that last restart to get the lead.
Byron hit the bump in turn 2, lost it and ran into Logano. It looked deliberate, but I don't know for sure it was or not. There were a lot of incidents with that bump in turn 2 yesterday. That late in the race Byron knew it was there.

I think the special set of tires they gave him wouldn't hold.

Agree
Was there one time in this race (other than this time) where the bottom car got the lead
Thinking no

Byron did what he needed to do to get the lead…squeeze Logano to the wall

Logano did what he needed to win…pass Byron anyway possible

Well, Nascar approves and it was exciting.Turned out to be quite a season already.

So if you throw a block on a guy who has a pretty big run on you...you expect him to check up? It's racing, not ballroom dancing.

It’s pretty cool Jeff Gordon is a support system for current day HMS drivers

You said it yourself, Jeff made an art out of it. See what Jeff did to Rusty at Bristol, there's nuance to it. He was faster, he needed to get by him, and at Bristol back then it was the only way. He moved him, he didn't wreck him. It was clean, it was fair, it was short track racing at it's finest. The faster car won the race and Rusty was runner-up.

Joey gets heat because it was such an unnecessary overreaction. Byron's MISTAKE only cost Joey a couple car lengths. An honest mistake on a part of the track that was causing issues for some of the sport's best drivers all day long. Joey's payback was way over the top. Again, the punishment didn't fit the crime.
Yup, I said it. Jeff also whined as much as anyone when it was done to him. These guys are no different than any other driver. They don’t like to be roughed up and they are going to cry every time they are. ESPECIALLY if it was for a race win.

Gordon could sling a pavement sprint car, as a teen. Pretty crazy how literally young kids can learn to handle absolute beastly race machines.

Gordon could sling a pavement sprint car, as a teen. Pretty crazy how literally young kids can learn to handle absolute beastly race machines.
Like Bill Elliott said, the young kids these days have thousands of races under their belts

In ten years we could have Hendrick/Gordon electric racing enterprises, Kyle Busch motorsports,and Harvick Inc. ,all feuding as team owners.

Back
Top Bottom