Cup RACE thread --- Daytona

“We were all racing for the win, so there are no hard feelings. But [Elliott] double blocked us, and we had too big a run for him to do that.”

Despite being disappointed by the outcome, DiBenedetto’s focus remained on the positives.

“No regrets,” he said. “We did everything right.

“Our Menards/Dutch Boy team should be proud. We’ll take our good momentum and go get a win.”
Very fair and classy response. I hope Elliott apologized, but I have my doubts.

While not an apples to apples comparison, I wonder if this is how Hamlin fans felt after that fateful Martinsville race…. Ducking your head because your guy made a dumb move and took out the overwhelmingly sentimental favorite…

Next morning clarity is a ***** 😮🤣

He's become two different drivers. Too hard on himself, and overly apologetic, to a lot more "IDGAF" the last few years.

Since 2019, he's been a lot more agressive of a driver as well, imo. I think Chex disagreed early in this thread, but I feel like he's been privy to the bumper more than we give him credit for.

He made a boneheaded block at the end of the day. Unless you're a Penske driver, it seems like at plate tracks, the field is pretty forgiving of that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I have just 1 question, how in the hell DID THEY FIX THAT 8 CAR!??! That thing was billowing some serious smoke out the back.

When he walled Logano he tried the “I lost a tire” and “well you race people that same way” excuses and it was just awful. Maybe he’s learned.

They bypassed the oil cooler or whatever was damaged. Good enough to run a few laps that way. I'm glad he got in.

One of the craziest damage fixes I've ever seen to stay on the lead lap and advance. Darlington good track for him next week.

While not an apples to apples comparison, I wonder if this is how Hamlin fans felt after that fateful Martinsville race…. Ducking your head because your guy made a dumb move and took out the overwhelmingly sentimental favorite…

Next morning clarity is a ***** 😮🤣

I'm not ducking my head. They were all blocking at that point in the race. Did you see the blocks Buescher was throwing? Luckily Bowman checked up, otherwise that would have been a huge wreck.

Elliott threw a late block, and Dibenedetto couldn't check up because Hamlin was right on his bumper. That's the only difference. Unfortunately these wild blocks have become a product of this type of racing, it is what it is. It's hard to blame Elliott or anyone else because they are all doing it now. It was a bad decision by Elliott, sure, but I'm not embarrassed about it like Hamlin's fans should have been when he dumped Elliott in the corner at Martinsville. Like you said, definitely not apples and apples.

I think bump drafting someone's corner when they aren't squared up (Snider on Cindric and Kurt Busch on Suarez) is a bigger mistake than anyone throwing a block, because it's almost guaranteed to cause a big wreck every time.

I think it's ironic that the drivers all complain about plate racing, yet they are the ones throwing these reckless blocks and bad pushes that cause all the carnage.

Also, with a win you're in the playoffs so would we still allow that? Lots of ifs.

I'm not ducking my head. They were all blocking at that point in the race. Did you see the blocks Buescher was throwing? Luckily Bowman checked up, otherwise that would have been a huge wreck.

Elliott threw a late block, and Dibenedetto couldn't check up because Hamlin was right on his bumper. That's the only difference. Unfortunately these wild blocks have become a product of this type of racing, it is what it is. It's hard to blame Elliott or anyone else because they are all doing it now. It was a bad decision by Elliott, sure, but I'm not embarrassed about it like Hamlin's fans should have been when he dumped Elliott in the corner at Martinsville. Like you said, definitely not apples and apples.

I think bump drafting someone's corner when they aren't squared up (Snider on Cindric and Kurt Busch on Suarez) is a bigger mistake than anyone throwing a block, because it's almost guaranteed to cause a big wreck every time.

I think it's ironic that the drivers all complain about plate racing, yet they are the ones throwing these reckless blocks and bad pushes that cause all the carnage.
Fair. I just went to bed angry and woke up bummed due to the reaction after, and how I allowed myself to get trolled. Still cringing that my guy screwed up so bad though.

This was pretty much how I felt about it too. That's why I found it funny everyone was piling on. It's the end of the race, if he loses the lead there it's probably a wrap. And he had nothing else to race for there besides those 5 playoff points.

If Matt D had effectively blocked the correct lane at Dega we wouldn't have this sob story or conversation cause he'd have his W and nobody would care.

Kurt Busch straight up dumped Suarez that resulted in the massive last lap pile up. I think what he did was worse than Chase’s block.

Two champions who already have wins this season drove over their head and wrecked the entire field.

Kurt Busch straight up dumped Suarez that resulted in the massive last lap pile up. I think what he did was worse than Chase’s block.

Two champions who already have wins this season drove over their head and wrecked the entire field.
Well, Suarez isn’t quite the darling Matt is. Let’s keep our rage focused on Chase, shall we?

If Matt D had effectively blocked the correct lane at Dega we wouldn't have this sob story or conversation cause he'd have his W and nobody would care.
If “ifs” and “buts” were candy and nuts, we’d have a merry christmas.

Back down here in reality, Chase Elliott threw a block and was fine, and instead of living to race another 2.5 laps he decided on a double block and wrecked himself and half the field.

Kurt didn't dump him, Kurt was going to follow in line behind Suarez and just misjudged it.

I understand, but in that situation its typical for methodical thinking goes out of the window at times. That could have easily been a win for Suarez if they didn't wreck.

Trackhouse is going to be extremely determined come Talladega.

And that promotes my boy (he's in my good graces again) Ryan Newman to third place. Best he's done all year.

A mount is welded on, How did the 17 car pass inspection and then fail inspection????

From Jayski

The #17-Chris Buescher (who had finished second) has been disqualified per the following rule(s):

20.3.3.3.b REAR SUB-FRAME ASSEMBLY; I-4 Track Bar Mounting Assembly

1. The track bar mounting assembly must conform to the following drawing: FRAME-TRACK BAR MOUNTING ASSEMBLY A-002-01171D-19 REV. A

If NASCAR doesn’t catch it prerace than thats on them. The team outsmarted the suits, good for them. These post race inspections are lame.

I want to commend the Chase fans who aren't blinded by fandom and can criticize Chase's decision making in that moment.

That's superspeedway racing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

If NASCAR doesn’t catch it prerace than thats on them. The team outsmarted the suits, good for them. These post race inspections are lame.

Lame or not, they’re in the rule book. Everybody has a copy.

I think post-race inspection should consist of a weigh-in, half a dozen height and angle measurements, a fuel sample and verification of the engine number.

In this case, I wonder if Buescher’s team manipulated the mount to enable the bar to move under load and unload?

Lame or not, they’re in the rule book. Everybody has a copy.

I think post-race inspection should consist of a weigh-in, half a dozen height and angle measurements, a fuel sample and verification of the engine number.

In this case, I wonder if Buescher’s team manipulated the mount to enable the bar to move under load and unload?
reading around, one of them said it was too low. Can say that is gospel, but that might have clued them in to look under the car

Whoever didn’t get taken out when the 9 & 21 got tangled, was likely gonna get taken out when Kurt Busch ran outta talent and piled up 15 cars on the last lap anyways…

if only it was a few years ago, we coulda heard a good 17 minute temper tantrum from the drivers seat of the 1 car… screaming at his crew and everyone else he can think of. Then there would be post race where he’d likely cuss out someone for handing him water or something.

Whoever didn’t get taken out when the 9 & 21 got tangled, was likely gonna get taken out when Kurt Busch ran outta talent and piled up 15 cars on the last lap anyways…
or because the 9 and the 21 tangled they wadded up the field behind them

I’d pass that on to Rick Hendrick but I think he already knows.

Back
Top Bottom