Cup RACE thread --- Indy

How many tires did any of us actually get to look at after they were off the car? Just because they didn't blow doesn't mean they were not getting ready to. The 88-9 and 24 had problems.
Hell Baxter with Bubba and even Dave Winston with Suarez mentioned extremely high tire wear. I think everyone had a lot of tire wear today. Some tires made it, some didn't.

Just because they didn't blow doesn't mean they were not getting ready to.
Slippery slope logic.

Hell Baxter with Bubba and even Dave Winston with Suarez mentioned extremely high tire wear. I think everyone had a lot of tire wear today. Some tires made it, some didn't.
And that’s my point. Some of it might boil down to luck but these engineers have everything calculated out and to gain an edge limits are pushed. They know exactly how far their setups can eat tires and some teams left more of a buffer than others. Goodyear gives them suggestions on limitations and its up to the teams to see how far they want to test them.

Last edited:
Slippery slope logic.

And that’s my point. Some of it might boil down to luck but these engineers have everything calculated out and to gain an edge limits are pushed. They know exactly how far their setups can eat tires and some teams left more of a buffer than others. Goodyear gives them suggestions on limitations and its up to the teams to see how far they want to test them.
I'd like to know how the 4s looked at the end. I think that was the longest run on tires anyone did today?

I sure hope Bubba gets corporate America to give Petty Motorsports a muliti million dollar contract. Hes been on every show pushing this cause. To be sure someone will put up the money!
Not to mention he’s driving that dump truck to better and better results and is in the hunt for the final playoff position.

Slippery slope logic.

And that’s my point. Some of it might boil down to luck but these engineers have everything calculated out and to gain an edge limits are pushed. They know exactly how far their setups can eat tires and some teams left more of a buffer than others. Goodyear gives them suggestions on limitations and its up to the teams to see how far that want to test them.
I definitely agree about Goodyear giving limitation suggestions. I use to have to be on the phone with them on a weekly basis. But, you said that 30 other teams didn't put their drivers in any danger and I'm trying to understand how you figured this without seeing their right front tire after it was removed. But, there are none of us on here that knows for sure without knowing what all of the teams tires looked like or being in the meeting this week between the teams, Goodyear, and NASCAR. That being said, I think it would have been a much better race if they had went with a little harder compound tire.

Last edited:
unofficial playoff points after Indy
1594000463401.png

Slippery slope logic.

I'd like to know how the 4s looked at the end. I think that was the longest run on tires anyone did today?
I definitely agree about Goodyear giving limitation suggestions. I use to have to be on the phone with them on a weekly basis. But, you said that 30 other teams didn't put their drivers in any danger and I'm trying to understand how you figured this without seeing their right front tire after it was removed. But, there are none of us on here that knows for sure without knowing what all of the teams tires looked like or being in the meeting this week between the teams, Goodyear, and NASCAR. That being said, I think it would have been a much better race if they had went with a little harder compound tire.

When they showed the 95 pit stop at the end, I DEFINITELY saw cords on the right front. I'd say he had a vibration alright.

When they showed the 95 pit stop at the end, I DEFINITELY saw cords on the right front. I'd say he had a vibration alright.
I have a strong feeling that there were a lot of teams that were pretty nervous hoping their RF didn't blow. At least Chase played it safe and brought it in before he hit the wall. I don't have the desire for tire falloff on super speedways like a lot of fans do. I hate seeing drivers having to slow down just so they can make it to the end of a race. I want to see them race as fast as they can go safely. :)

Last edited:
Harvick's team who was right next to Hamlin's pit could see that Hamlin was cording his tires...So Rodney told Harvick to push Hamlin..It worked, Could be why Harvick was so concerned about Denny when he hit the wall.

Harvick's team who was right next to Hamlin's pit could see that Hamlin was cording his tires...So Rodney told Harvick to push Hamlin..It worked, Could be why Harvick was so concerned about Denny when he hit the wall.

Now that's an old vet move.

On 16th st.

That is awesome to see. I hope the Brickyard never leaves Indianapolis for any ill fated bad idea I’ve seen the past few days. The fans love it (sure not as many show up as in the 90’s, but can any track right now say different), the drivers and teams still find it very important to win here (Denny’s post race. What happened to him is the heartbreak of legend, like an Andretti Indy 500 heartbreak) and I find the racing not that bad. With the tires yesterday, I felt the danger these guys feel....like when I watch an Indianapolis 500. This place has consequences when machine is pushed to far, but the joy of conquering it is oh so sweet.

I was cheering for Kenseth during the final laps. I thought Hamlin had it wrapped up until his accident, Hamlin and Harvick are having a pretty good rivalry this season. I was amused when an announcer pointed out the two oldest drivers in the field finished 1-2. I like how the ban on practice has leveled the playing field but I would like to see qualifying again.

One thing I miss from the Fox broadcast, when they showed the running order they showed 20 cars at a time on the left side of the screen, it was easy to scan the list to find drivers I was following. The NBC version shows 4 positions at a time and I can never watch it long enough to see how someone is coming through the field.

Glad I could not possibly care any less about your opinion.
You cared enough to tell me how much you don't care. Enough to make sure I know I'm meaningless to you. Lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I thought Chase chose to pit for tires or are you talking about something else?
Thats what need answering. I dont know who made that call but it is ridiculous unless he had a loose wheel or tire going down but I dont think thats the case. Track position is everything at Indy and for them to bring him in is mind boggling.

Thats what need answering. I dont know who made that call but it is ridiculous unless he had a loose wheel or tire going down but I dont think thats the case. Track position is everything at Indy and for them to bring him in is mind boggling.
I was going off of what adouble u24 said in his post #779 on page 20.

I was going off of what adouble u24 said in his post #779 on page 20.
I dont understand that. If he didnt want to be on the bottom how is pitting with a bunch of cars going to guarantee a starting spot on the outside while putting him at a huge disadvantage?

There has to be a consequence to pushing the limits on softer tires (we need tire wear--hard tires mean no changing tires)

curious, was it the setting or the driver using up the RF

There has to be a consequence to pushing the limits on softer tires (we need tire wear--hard tires mean no changing tires)

curious, was it the setting or the driver using up the RF
At least one of the 6 failures was a left front.

Not enough air to start. You'd think this was the first time this had ever happened.

Listening to the scanner during the race, if you're talking about when they pitted again at the caution right after he, Denny, and Kevin had pitted under green, it was Alan's call thinking that the field had been bunched up already and they'd come out 4th or 5th with new right sides. He told Chase to come on and didn't know that they (Kevin, Denny, Chase) hadn't caught up to the field yet so they ended up behind all the cars that had stayed out. Alan then audibled to 4 tires and seemed to try and put it off on Chase and Eddie D'hondt for not telling him they weren't caught up. Chase wasn't told that there had been people staying out so he thought he was in 3rd and was waiting for pace car to pick them up. Total cluster **** all around. The last caution they pitted because why not and tried a short run adjustment. Wasted opportunity, especially with the 11 crashing. Before the caution Chase asked how he was doing lap time wise and Alan told him he was beating the 4 and 11 by a couple tenths.

Edit: on final pit stop where it was going to be GWC, Alan said to wait and see. Chase came last second and said "screw it" because he didn't want to be on bottom for restart. At one point he did say "we're ****ed anyway."

Al needs 2 or 3 more engineers at their terminals in Mooresville workin' strategery while video linked to his box at the track.

That would be in addition to the 3 or 4 already doing that.

Al needs 2 or 3 more engineers at their terminals in Mooresville workin' strategery while video linked to his box at the track.

That would be in addition to the 3 or 4 already doing that.
Great idea. They'll need someone to manage that hardware, finally letting me get back into the sport after I lost the #5 seat.

Back
Top Bottom