Cup RACE thread --- Iowa

Did the 20 team not share notes from the tire test, because they’ve been the only Toyota to be towards the front on speed the whole night.
I would think they did and I would agree the data should have helped. But in many cases shared set-ups just do not deliver the expected or desired results.

I realize drivers will change their lines to find more speed etc and in this case it would have been a matter of them trying to do or at least learn from what Bell was doing with his set-up etc (especially after realizing he was faster)

I just think there is something different about every drivers approach or needs They might be very slight but the differences at this level is usually measured in inches or tenths rather than seconds, and those difference are then compounded by track position.

I also think some things are almost intate with drivers. I am not saying that Bell is better overall than his teammates but maybe he is for Iowa, like some are at their best on a Road Course, a Super Speedway, or short track.

Lotta of Yada and I feel like a real torture of a windbag reading myself.

I probably could have just said there is nothing like getting to do the actual tire test yourself (real seat time). It is is probably impossible to provide everything a driver personally learns including the feel that he wants from the car when it is at its best.

What a pleasant surprise to have such a good race with all the concern about the track going in. Some take aways for me....Seems like the 12 car is really finding speed that had been lacking earlier in the year and will be a threat for the title for sure.

Denny Hamlin...What happened? It's amazing just how far off they were. Who knows how things may have played out but to see him drop like a rock and get lapped twice.....not sure if I ever seen that bad a performance out of that team.

Larson - I will say he had the best car and likely would have won if not for the crash although I think Blaney may have been able to beat him possibly. That said and however unpopular this opinion this, the race was an example to me of what could be Larson's only real weakness - he is just too aggressive at times. While the wreck was not his "fault" there really was no need to push it 3-wide there. He had a car that was easily going to go by those guys once it sorted out. I am glad Larson has already admitted that maybe that was not such a good idea.

Chase taking over the points lead. Great run for Chase and he is having an amazing season. He really needs to win the regular season title and get those playoff points and/or or start racking up some stage wins if he is going to be in the final 4 at Phoenix though. They seem to be getting closer and closer to having the speed they need for that so we will see but right now he's still missing that little something to really challenge for stage/race wins more regularly. Starting to remind me more and more of his Dad in that he is very smooth and consistent. One amazing stat about his Dad's championship season is that he finished no worse than 18th all season much like Chase has done this season. Back in Bill's day though, mechanical failures were WAY more common so that seems pretty amazing. Part of it is luck for sure as just last night Chase could have easily been caught up in the Larson wreck. Last year nothing went his way and this year he is having far more good luck and more speed.

Anyway - I will be at Loudon for the race this Sunday. I think it's an important race in that those who plan to contend for a title need to show speed as this is as close to Phoenix as we will get.

Back
Top Bottom