Cup RACE thread --- Martinsville

Other then seeing how the tires are wearing a crew chief depends a lot on a drivers feedback to point him in the right direction he needs to go with the setup. That is one of the things that brings that much more of value from one driver over another. They are not just steering wheel holders, the information they relay back to the crew chief can play a vital role in how the car performs...and if they give the crew chief bad info then it can lead them in the wrong direction with the setup. It is the crew chiefs responsibility to know what to do with that info so he can make the right adjustments.
I remain convinced this was Danica’s biggest problem.

Yeah I mean.. I scratch my head at that. It's the CC's job. Chase shouldn't be calling the shots on what adjustments he needs. This isn't the Rusty Wallace days. He needs to be diagnosing the car, providing as detailed of a description of what he needs as possible, and Alan needs to be doing his job and deciding what adjustments to make..

If anything, I'd put it even more on the CC for letting the driver call the shots for adjustments. I thought this style was outdated, and ineffective. Which obviously it may be

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Imagine how powerful it would be if the driver, who really is the only one that legitimately knows what the car is doing and when, understood what to do with the car to fix it. Drivers should be doing everything they can to learn what the CC knows. If not, they aren’t putting in 100% IMO.

Imagine how powerful it would be if the driver, who really is the only one that legitimately knows what the car is doing and when, understood what to do with the car to fix it. Drivers should be doing everything they can to learn what the CC knows. If not, they aren’t putting in 100% IMO.
Alan Kulwicki could do that and he won a championship, but I don't think there will ever be a driver like that again.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Alan Kulwicki could do that and he won a championship, but I don't think there will ever be a driver like that again.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Yeah, Paul Andrews was a ceremonial CC. Alan chiefed that car from the driver's seat.

People often use CCs to lavish criticism or praise to their desired narratives.
Yeah but Chad, Rodney, Cole Pearn ...etc.
One could take it back to Petty and Inman or further.
I don't think you can listen to radio communications and be absolutely sure of the breakdowns either.
Every pairing has its own chemistry and everybody is going to miss the setup at times.
The critics are the only people that get it right everytime.

Gustafson!!! lives in snark infested waters. I don't know how many times I have heard the stuff. I don't think he would have survived at HMS or that some of the best talent would have tolerated him for so long if he was such a big problem.

Back
Top Bottom