Cup RACE thread --- Michigan

Bubba Wallace has the weight of the world on his shoulders all the time. He has so much put on him by not just the racing world, but the entire sports world and even the political world.

It's hard to compose yourself when you have people constantly rooting for you to fail, constantly cutting you down all the time, no matter where you go or what you do, especially when it's because of something you didn't even do or had no part in. You don't know unless you've been there.

I'm thrilled for Kevin Harvick, and I'm happy to have seen another adorable father/daughter celebration. I love whoever came up with this idea. ^_^

I get that racing at this level is incredibly intense at times, but Bubba is too intense sometimes, man. He's gotta ease up a bit with the pressure he puts on himself and just keep his head up. He and his team are doing a great job. If they keep it up and the stars all eventually align again, they'll get another win.

Homeless, rich, celebrity, professional athlete...it doesn't matter. Unless it puts someone else in harms way, I can never get behind criticizing how someone's mental illness presents itself.

If it was as simple as a choice, it wouldn't be an issue.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Homeless, rich, celebrity, professional athlete...it doesn't matter. Unless it puts someone else in harms way, I can never get behind criticizing how someone's mental illness presents itself.

Yeah everyone in this thread saying it was uncomfortable to watch should look in the mirror at how they reacted to someone who struggles with depression. THAT is uncomfortable to see.

Few weeks ago, someone who I thought was a family friend basically told me it was a choice. Tried to argue how I could “stay off social media.” when alot of times I just randomly get in a ****** mood, nothing to do with anything I read. My mood just gets shot.

Yeah everyone in this thread saying it was uncomfortable to watch should look in the mirror at how they reacted to someone who struggles with depression. THAT is uncomfortable to see.
I think it’s about perspective. Most people that suffer from depression aren’t millionaires. Maybe that’s where some of the comments generate.
Perhaps the message is that people can struggle emotionally regardless of income.
The causes of depression vary from individual.
Money can provide comfort while not necessarily contributing to happiness.
Somebody gonna clip these posts.

Few weeks ago, someone who I thought was a family friend basically told me it was a choice. Tried to argue how I could “stay off social media.” when alot of times I just randomly get in a ****** mood, nothing to do with anything I read. My mood just gets shot.

What people who say "just stay off social media" or whatever don't realize is, there's nothing you can do when the people coming after you just don't stop. And the people who tear Bubba down, they do it every minute of every day.

I'm going through it myself, and it's been pure hell. Especially when it's compounded with numerous deaths in the family, close friends dying from COVID, and so on.

I think it’s about perspective. Most people that suffer from depression aren’t millionaires. Maybe that’s where some of the comments generate.
Perhaps the message is that people can struggle emotionally regardless of income.

I hope these posts don't get deleted. I know they're "downers" or whatever, but it's always an important conversation, and I'm sick of conversations about mental health being discouraged - because that's a large part of the problem. Sometimes, people just need to let it out, and it may be "hard to watch," but man, Bubba's a good dude. He really is. He did nothing to deserve the amount of vitriol he gets on a daily, hourly basis.

I know this part will get deleted but: Imagine waking up and the President of the United States has personally ****mouthed you and told the whole world to hate you and that you're a piece of ****. That can't be an easy thing to deal with.

Bubba Wallace has the weight of the world on his shoulders all the time. He has so much put on him by not just the racing world, but the entire sports world and even the political world.

It's hard to compose yourself when you have people constantly rooting for you to fail, constantly cutting you down all the time, no matter where you go or what you do, especially when it's because of something you didn't even do or had no part in. You don't know unless you've been there.

Bubba put himself in that position with noosegate. Bubba had a hell of a fan base up to that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What people who say "just stay off social media" or whatever don't realize is, there's nothing you can do when the people coming after you just don't stop. And the people who tear Bubba down, they do it every minute of every day.

I'm going through it myself, and it's been pure hell. Especially when it's compounded with numerous deaths in the family, close friends dying from COVID, and so on.
I meant more so in that case with myself with the “stay off social media.” When he tried to tell me I choose to get upset or choose to be offended by things. When the simple fact is that I can’t help what mood I wake up in. I can’t even imagine how it is for Bubba who has to deal with so much BS from people all the damn time. Dude’s tough and part of what makes me a fan of his.

I hope these posts don't get deleted. I know they're "downers" or whatever, but it's always an important conversation, and I'm sick of conversations about mental health being discouraged - because that's a large part of the problem. Sometimes, people just need to let it out, and it may be "hard to watch," but man, Bubba's a good dude. He really is. He did nothing to deserve the amount of vitriol he gets on a daily, hourly basis.

I know this part will get deleted but: Imagine waking up and the President of the United States has personally ****mouthed you and told the whole world to hate you and that you're a piece of ****. That can't be an easy thing to deal with.
Man, I’m just going to delete this post myself. I’ll PM you Andy.

I meant more so in that case with myself with the “stay off social media.” When he tried to tell me I choose to get upset or choose to be offended by things. When the simple fact is that I can’t help what mood I wake up in. I can’t even imagine how it is for Bubba who has to deal with so much BS from people all the damn time. Dude’s tough and part of what makes me a fan of his.

I've talked a little about what I've gone through in The Podium, and won't bring it up here. I can address it there, or via PM.

But what do you do when people won't stop? When people won't just let you live your life in peace?

Owning is half the battle man, and you do. Having the right people around makes such a difference. Being told different "advice", as if you couldn't come up with it, just invalides and shames what you're going through.

This isn't the place where I want to discuss work, but often times when I meet with someone who is in distress, is anxious, or depressed sometimes they just want to just process the feeling and hear "I can see how difficult and frustrating this is for you to hear that/feel that/see that" or some variation of "that really just sucks", way before they want to problem solve the feeling or mood.

Being invalidated is unfortunately just too common of an occurrence.

And to go back to Bubba...he could easily crumble under the pressure, but he doesn't.

I've talked a little about what I've gone through in The Podium, and won't bring it up here. I can address it there, or via PM.

But what do you do when people won't stop? When people won't just let you live your life in peace?
Yeah can hit me up if you need, always here for you man. Even if we butt heads like we did today, I’ll always be someone to listen

This is a great comment from you.

Owning is half the battle man, and you do. Having the right people around makes such a difference. Being told different "advice", as if you couldn't come up with it, just invalides and shames what you're going through.

This isn't the place where I want to discuss work, but often times when I meet with someone who is in distress, is anxious, or depressed sometimes they just want to just process the feeling and hear "I can see how difficult and frustrating this is for you to hear that/feel that/see that" or some variation of "that really just sucks", way before they want to problem solve the feeling or mood.

Being invalidated is unfortunately just too common of an occurrence.

And to go back to Bubba...he could easily crumble under the pressure, but he doesn't.

This is why there's such a stigma with mental health. People will attack your coping methods, because it bothers them, or invalidate your problems, because it's not their problem.

I'm not sure if this would help your situations, but 5 or so years ago I had to start setting boundaries with certain family members and I wasn't good at it.

I read a book called "When I Say No I Feel Guilty", which actually had MASSIVE application to scenarios far beyond just the title of the book. It's a great lesson in boundary setting, both internally and externally.

As is something called "broken recording"

This is why there's such a stigma with mental health. People will attack your coping methods, because it bothers them, or invalidate your problems, because it's not their problem.
And they make THEIR problem your problem. People hate being uncomfortable. So when someone struggles, or acts in a way that makes another uncomfortable, they hold YOU responsibility for their discomfort.

Why should we have to be responsible for our feelings, but others can't? It's a very real, and frustrating expeirence. Unfortunately, we can't change people. But we can, with time, learn to empower ourselves and recognize how to protect ourselves emotionally and mentally when other people make THEIR interactional issues with us OUR problem.

Well Daytona is surely going to be insanity
I think Bubba is gonna be a problem there. No reasons but he’s a pretty good super speedway driver and he’s shown it this year as well in the past. Plus TRD has found speed, as well as 23XI. Watch out

Back
Top Bottom