Cup RACE thread --- Michigan

I don't necessarily think car control was Gordon's strength either. Yes he came from dirt but in cup I always think of a guy who was great at preserving and maximizing his stuff, other-worldly under braking (road courses and Martinsville), and consistent lap after lap after lap. So in that sense I do think there's a comparison to be made for Elliott talent-wise. He's really good at a lot of the same things and places.

Bubba gotta suck it up.He will get a win or 2 soon.

Everything is there for him and an HMS driver has dominated the sport the last 30 years.

It's just tough. I think he could have a compatible career to Tony Stewart. But I don't think he is the talent Stewart was in terms of car control.

Personally, I think Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson are the 3 most talented drivers to grace cup the last 30 years. With no offense to KB or Larson, those 3 stand alone imo

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
No definitely not a Wheelman like Stewart. Chase can drive, but not THAT good. Id be very content if he got anywhere near Smoke statistically by the end of his career.

Agreed with the 30 year bracket there for sure.

I don't necessarily think car control was Gordon's strength either. Yes he came from dirt but in cup I always think of a guy who was great at preserving and maximizing his stuff, other-worldly under braking (road courses and Martinsville), and consistent lap after lap after lap. So in that sense I do think there's a comparison to be made for Elliott talent-wise. He's really good at a lot of the same things and places.
I agree. I suppose I'm using car control and talent interchangibly. I think Gordon just had really really impeccable raw pace and rhythm. I think JJ was the peak of "loose is fast" kind of guys, he had the raw car and throttle control to drive off the right rear in such a calculated way that wasn't swatting flies.

Tony Stewart, imo, was a mix of both. He may not have had the overall racecraft of the other two, or the skillset that was tailor made to a low downforce cup car like Johnson, but I think Stewart is the most overall talented driver the sport has ever seen from a pure *raw talent* standpoint. Johnson and Gordon may be better stock car drivers, but I firmly believe Stewart is the most overall talented driver to come through cup

Agreed with both of you. I viewed jr's career potential the same as what jaqua19 stated is Bubba's ceiling. I felt like that might be an unpopular opinion around here, hence the gif.
Yeah. I think 20 wins and a consistent playoff contender is a reasonable ceiling.

There aren't many champions in the history of the sport, not compared to everyone who's had a full time cup career..

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Just because you don't have the most wins this year or recently doesn't mean you aren't a superstar of the sport.

Back
Top Bottom