Cup RACE thread --- Pocono, No. 2

How much fuel and clutch did Kyle burn up on pit road and on restarts trying to launch a car in 4th gear?
Anyone that has ever driven a manual trans knows this isn’t a performance advantage.
Jeff Gordon seemed to think so.

Which essentially is why I'm making the point lol.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Did you see the restart where Kyle was at the rear of the field? How much fuel you think he saved coming through the pack?
None, but that didn't impact the fuel situation in the final run.

There were no restarts after final pit stops, and those stops are ultimately what dictated the fuel situation.

We're going in circles Bobby and won't agree here
. I still think the car and team that won deserved to win.

Let's just get back to bitching about the high DF package lol

None, but that didn't impact the fuel situation in the final run.

There were no restarts after final pit stops, and those stops are ultimately what dictated the fuel situation.

We're going in circles Bobby and won't agree here
. I still think the car and team that won deserved to win.

Let's just get back to bitching about the high DF package lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using
My bad…2015

New jaqua avatar
8B63EDC5-8622-4361-A35D-BD0881845EDB.jpeg

Cliff Daniels made a really good strategy call. Kyle was mired in traffic back in like 24th following the long stop to fix nose damage. Daniels called Kyle in to pit under green flag and put on 2 tires and enough fuel to get to the end of stage 2. Kyle came out at the tail end of lead lap just 8 sec ahead of the leader but was in clean air and was able to match leader lap times, avoid being lapped, and passed a lot of back markers. At the stage end caution Larson pitted and was then on same strategy as 24,1 11,18. He came out 17th was able to pass several more cars and after the other cars on the alternate strategy pitted he ended up 4th between 11 and 18. At that point it was fuel mileage and Daniels coached Larson thru saving enough to finish.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Cliff Daniels made a really good strategy call. Kyle was mired in traffic back in like 24th following the long stop to fix nose damage. Daniels called Kyle in to pit under green flag and put on 2 tires and enough fuel to get to the end of stage 2. Kyle came out at the tail end of lead lap just 8 sec ahead of the leader but was in clean air and was able to match leader lap times, avoid being lapped, and passed a lot of back markers. At the stage end caution Larson pitted and was then on same strategy as 24,1 11,18. He came out 17th was able to pass several more cars and after the other cars on the alternate strategy pitted he ended up 4th between 11 and 18. At that point it was fuel mileage and Daniels coached Larson thru saving enough to finish.

They were down but a long way from out. 2nd place is pretty remarkable with all of their damage. Only a couple of three points away from passing Hamlin for the lead in points.

From races 5 through 8 this season, Bubba Wallace finished 16th 3 out of 4 times but couldn't quite get the first top 15 for new team 23XI Racing.

He nearly got his team's first top 10 at Dover, but had to settle for 11th. Then from races 15 through 18, he finished 14th 3 out of 4 times.

Finally, in the second Pocono race, he finished a strong 5th, scoring 23XI Racing's first top 10 and first top 5 all at once.

---

While making the playoffs is still a longshot, it's probably surprising to almost anyone that Trackhouse Racing would even be in such a conversation at all. But with his 5th straight top 15 finish, and his 7th top-15 in the last 9 races, Daniel Suarez has been impressive of late and has steadily moved up to 18th in points.

---

RCR has been extremely consistent of late. (Consistency isn't unusual for RCR, but they've also been running consistently closer to the front than they have in quite a few years.) Check out these stats:

Tyler Reddick (last 13 races):
8 finishes between 7th and 9th
10 finishes between 7th and 12th
His other 3 finishes were 18th, 19th, and 20th

Austin Dillon (last 12 races):
6 finishes between 12th and 14th (including 5 of the last 7 races)
9 finishes between 10th and 16th
11 finishes between 6th and 16th

---

This is the first race at a track between 1.5 an 2.5 miles in length this season that Kyle Larson did not lead.

Aric Almirola (16th) was the only driver to finish in the same position in both races of the Pocono doubleheader.

Ryan Preece ended a streak with 16 consecutive finishes of 14th or worse with a solid 8th place run in this race.

And for the most unusual (or useless, perhaps) stat of the day:

In the last 9 races, Quin Houff has finished in every position from 29th to 38th exactly once, except 35th.
“We looked it up so you don’t have to. The countdown has hit zero..... green flag racing NEXT.... on TNT. We know drama!”
1624881004995.jpeg

my youtube tv library has been cutting off early lately, last thing I saw was Kyle Busch coming off turn 3 at full song far behind the pack on restart (had to go live) then shows him in the top 5 and closing, "just give me the high gear!" days of thunder literally happened yesterday.

Cliff Daniels is the real deal.

His leadership, intelligence, and confidence stuck out last year. Once he learned how to call a race, and adjust, I thought he'd be a top top CC in the garage.

He's not the same CC he was at the start of the season.

He pitted a lap later than everyone else. That is what won the race.
Had nothing to do with the transmission.

Sure it did. The 18 team knew that their ONLY hope to get a decent finish was IF the race went green to the finish and they could go to the end without stopping, so they were in fuel savings mode from the first lap back to green. They most likely would not have even MADE made that extra pit stop if they didn't have the broken transmission. Sometimes bad luck forces you into a strategy that pays off. Under the circumstances, if I was on the pit box, I would have played it the EXACT same way.

Sure it did. The 18 team knew that their ONLY hope to get a decent finish was IF the race went green to the finish and they could go to the end without stopping, so they were in fuel savings mode from the first lap back to green. They most likely would not have even MADE made that extra pit stop if they didn't have the broken transmission. Sometimes bad luck forces you into a strategy that pays off. Under the circumstances, if I was on the pit box, I would have played it the EXACT same way.
They were going to the end anyway. That’s why Kyle said pack it with fuel.

They did what they had to do to make an issue an advantage and good on them. But some want to make it like they overcame something with massive effort when it was just unfortunate circumstances and recognizing an opportunity (with some luck) that got the win. Nothing to be ashamed of. Every team would take it and the glory. But it wasn’t some incredible driving that won that race.

Back
Top Bottom