Cup RACE thread --- Pocono, No. 2

That was fun. Personally am glad it wasn't an HMS car, this season needs more players than those 4 guys, even though the 18 has already won.

Good for Kyle.

I wonder if being stuck in 4th gear helped save a bit of fuel exiting pit road.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1624833071650.png

Larson just 2 points out of the points lead.

Leads series in wins, top 5s, top 10s, laps lead, stage wins.

Finishing 2nd with a damaged backup car was equally as impressive considering they were 5 laps short.

Cliff Daniels called a great race and if that team can turn a damaged backup car from the rear into a p2 with strategy, they're looking like the team to beat.

Ew. Trying to bait some controversy there out of Willy B.

Good for Kyle.

I wonder if being stuck in 4th gear helped save a bit of fuel exiting pit road.

Exactly what I said. I understand he had one extra lap on everyone else also, but he still had enough to make a whole extra lap after taking the checkered. Otherwise I would think Denny would have saved enough too running with Kyle.

Not sure any other driver out there would’ve been capable of winning with a car locked in 4th.
Disagree. After 2 laps into the run, he had to save fuel to win. That's what he did

So many times KDB wins by having a superior car much of the day, or by his skill to run down or hold a lead. Today was unique and I give him kudos for surviving a lot of crap to win a fuel race.

From races 5 through 8 this season, Bubba Wallace finished 16th 3 out of 4 times but couldn't quite get the first top 15 for new team 23XI Racing.

He nearly got his team's first top 10 at Dover, but had to settle for 11th. Then from races 15 through 18, he finished 14th 3 out of 4 times.

Finally, in the second Pocono race, he finished a strong 5th, scoring 23XI Racing's first top 10 and first top 5 all at once.

---

While making the playoffs is still a longshot, it's probably surprising to almost anyone that Trackhouse Racing would even be in such a conversation at all. But with his 5th straight top 15 finish, and his 7th top-15 in the last 9 races, Daniel Suarez has been impressive of late and has steadily moved up to 18th in points.

---

RCR has been extremely consistent of late. (Consistency isn't unusual for RCR, but they've also been running consistently closer to the front than they have in quite a few years.) Check out these stats:

Tyler Reddick (last 13 races):
8 finishes between 7th and 9th
10 finishes between 7th and 12th
His other 3 finishes were 18th, 19th, and 20th

Austin Dillon (last 12 races):
6 finishes between 12th and 14th (including 5 of the last 7 races)
9 finishes between 10th and 16th
11 finishes between 6th and 16th

---

This is the first race at a track between 1.5 an 2.5 miles in length this season that Kyle Larson did not lead.

Aric Almirola (16th) was the only driver to finish in the same position in both races of the Pocono doubleheader.

Ryan Preece ended a streak with 16 consecutive finishes of 14th or worse with a solid 8th place run in this race.

And for the most unusual (or useless, perhaps) stat of the day:

In the last 9 races, Quin Houff has finished in every position from 29th to 38th exactly once, except 35th.

He did what nobody else did.
The 5 saved 5 laps of fuel. As did Bubba.

Kyle Busch's broken gearbox was actually an advantage in the circumstance because exiting pit road in 4th gear without having to rev up through 1st, 2nd, 3rd saves some gas. Same thing happened to Gordon here in 09, and he said exiting pit road like this saved him at least a lap of fuel.

Kyle and the 18 team played their cards right and put themselves in a situation where this "disadvantage" was actually an advantage. It gave him better fuel mileage in what turned into a fuel mileage race.

The 5 saved 5 laps of fuel.

Kyle Busch's broken gearbox was actually an advantage in the circumstance because exiting pit road in 4th gear without having to rev up through 1st, 2nd, 3rd saves some gas. Same thing happened to Gordon here in 09, and he said exiting pit road like this saved him at least a lap of fuel.

Kyle and the 18 team played their cards right and put themselves in a situation where this "disadvantage" was actually an advantage. It gave him better fuel mileage in what turned into a fuel mileage race.

🤣
Sure. A broken gearbox is an advantage. That’s good stuff.

Exactly what I said. I understand he had one extra lap on everyone else also, but he still had enough to make a whole extra lap after taking the checkered. Otherwise I would think Denny would have saved enough too running with Kyle.
Apparently this is an ignorant take, despite one of the GOATS of the sport confirming this happened to him as well, at the same track lol

In the context of having enough fuel to to to the end, being stuck in 4th gear saved him more gas than anyone else leaving pit road. This isn't disputable Bob. Lol

Didn’t have anything to do with the fact that he pitted later than everyone else.
It was the gearbox, dammit…🤣

From races 5 through 8 this season, Bubba Wallace finished 16th 3 out of 4 times but couldn't quite get the first top 15 for new team 23XI Racing.

He nearly got his team's first top 10 at Dover, but had to settle for 11th. Then from races 15 through 18, he finished 14th 3 out of 4 times.

Finally, in the second Pocono race, he finished a strong 5th, scoring 23XI Racing's first top 10 and first top 5 all at once.

---

While making the playoffs is still a longshot, it's probably surprising to almost anyone that Trackhouse Racing would even be in such a conversation at all. But with his 5th straight top 15 finish, and his 7th top-15 in the last 9 races, Daniel Suarez has been impressive of late and has steadily moved up to 18th in points.

---

RCR has been extremely consistent of late. (Consistency isn't unusual for RCR, but they've also been running consistently closer to the front than they have in quite a few years.) Check out these stats:

Tyler Reddick (last 13 races):
8 finishes between 7th and 9th
10 finishes between 7th and 12th
His other 3 finishes were 18th, 19th, and 20th

Austin Dillon (last 12 races):
6 finishes between 12th and 14th (including 5 of the last 7 races)
9 finishes between 10th and 16th
11 finishes between 6th and 16th

---

This is the first race at a track between 1.5 an 2.5 miles in length this season that Kyle Larson did not lead.

Aric Almirola (16th) was the only driver to finish in the same position in both races of the Pocono doubleheader.

Ryan Preece ended a streak with 16 consecutive finishes of 14th or worse with a solid 8th place run in this race.

And for the most unusual (or useless, perhaps) stat of the day:

In the last 9 races, Quin Houff has finished in every position from 29th to 38th exactly once, except 35th.
B547735C-8DC0-43D8-8950-09467ABF4BA2.png

Didn’t have anything to do with the fact that he pitted later than everyone else.
It was the gearbox, dammit…
Of course that played a role! But not having to rev the engine to max RPMs 3 times getting up to pace saves fuel too.

He deserved to win.

Bobby, save your keystrokes ...
Hi Mr. Peanut Gallery ;) I don't know who you are, but Bobby and I have had years of this, both agreeing and disagreeing on things. He knows what I'm about and I know what he's about, and has the decency to at least engage me on this. Quit it.

How much fuel and clutch did Kyle burn up on pit road and on restarts trying to launch a car in 4th gear?
Anyone that has ever driven a manual trans knows this isn’t a performance advantage.

How much fuel and clutch did Kyle burn up on pit road and on restarts trying to launch a car in 4th gear?
Anyone that has ever driven a manual trans knows this isn’t a performance advantage.
It is good driving though... from 4th gear...

Back
Top Bottom