Cup RACE thread --- Richmond

Between watching Alex give that little youngster the checkered flag and then choking up while dedicating the win to his fallen crew member shows me that making the big time and taking over for two very popular drivers "JR and Jimmie" has not went to his head one bit and he is just as down to earth as he was when he was flying around the Ventura Speedway in a dirt car when he was a youngster. Alex wasn't the only one with tears in his eyes during that interview.

Hamlin was upset, this is the second race that has slipped out of his hand. Not to mention, his sponsor's emotion is high, etc.

Hamlin is truly the modern day Mark Martin. Which is fine, not every great driver gets that trophy.

Except Denny has more wins and is a 3 time Daytona 500 champ. Mark was notorious for not being able to win the big races

Mark Martin won in everything outside of a Cup Championship and a Daytona 500.

Still one of my favorites of all-time.

He never won either of the sports 2 biggest races: the 500 and the brickyard

He never won either of the sports 2 biggest races: the 500 and the brickyard
Okay and what of it?

Hamlin and Martin both have the same distinct honor, having the most wins and not having a championship. They are one and two in that category, Martin was known as the greatest to not win a championship. Now Hamlin has that unfortunate honor.

It's not about who is better, all I'm saying is that they are similar.

Chase Elliot the only winless HMS car. Shocking really.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Surprising maybe but not shocking. HMS has 4 good drivers right now that are capable of winning any race on any track. I'm confident Chase will find the winners circle again sooner then later. HMS is looking pretty good right now and it will be interesting to see which driver will be the first to secure their second win this season.

Reactions: Pat
IMO the biggest difference between Denny and Mark is how many fans of other drivers root/rooted for them when their favorite is/was out of the hunt.

Never thought I'd live in a world where Mark's Coca Cola 600 win and 2 Southern 500 wins constituted as "not winning the big one."

This. IMO the Southern 500 is the 2nd biggest race on the calendar. Daytona, Southern 500, Bristol night and Coke 600

Never thought I'd live in a world where Mark's Coca Cola 600 win and 2 Southern 500 wins constituted as "not winning the big one."

If you’re trying to insinuate those are equal to the Daytona 500 you’re being pedantic

“I won Indycars biggest race the Long Beach Grand Prix”

-Racing forums experts

If you’re trying to insinuate those are equal to the Daytona 500 you’re being pedantic
I had to google what pedantic meant. The Daytona 500 is the one of the most important races on the calendar. It’s also noted the Coke 600 and Southern 500 are prestigious races in themselves and are also career defining races. It is of my opinion that I don’t devalue a guys career because he didn’t win one of the races we are debating about here or he didn’t win a championship in his career. Winning a championship is hard, not everyone does it. Winning a Daytona 500 is hard, not everyone does it. Rusty Wallace, Tony Stewart have done one but not the other. Carl Edwards has won the 600 and Southern 500 but no Daytona 500 or Championship. They are HOF drivers like Mark Martin. If Denny just happened to quit today...without winning a Cup, he’d join those fellas in the Hall.

Last edited:
Daytona has the history but since plate racing started and it’s a glorified freight train I’ll take the Southern 500 any day. There’s no comparison.

I had to google what pedantic meant. The Daytona 500 is the one of the most important races on the calendar. It’s also noted the Coke 600 and Southern 500 are prestigious races in themselves and are also career defining races. It is of my opinion that I don’t devalue a guys career because he didn’t win one of the races we are debating about here or he didn’t win a championship in his career. Winning a championship is hard, not everyone does it. Winning a Daytona 500 is hard, not everyone does it. Rusty Wallace, Tony Stewart have done one but not the other. Carl Edwards has won the 600 and Southern 500 but no Daytona 500 or Championship. They are HOF drivers like Mark Martin. If Denny just happened to quit today...without winning a Cup, he’d join those fellas in the Hall.

You’re guys are 100% being pedantic. All I said was Denny has won NASCAR’s super bowl 3 times, which puts him higher up on the all time list then mark Martin. I never said Mark Martin wasn’t a hall of famer, or he didn’t win some big races. Yes the 600 and southern 500 are Crown Jewels, but to argue they’re on the level of Daytona or the Brickyard is false. I could maybe see the argument for the brickyard as that even has lost its prestige but there’s no way no how any team, driver, sponsor, or janitor would say the southern 500 or coke 600 is the biggest race of the year. Using this logic Greg Biffle has won the big one twice and is a first ballot HOF driver 🙄

Last edited:
You’re guys are 100% being pedantic. All I said was Denny has won NASCAR’s super bowl 3 times, which puts him higher up on the all time list then mark Martin. I never said Mark Martin wasn’t a hall of famer, or he didn’t win some big races. Yes the 600 and southern 500 are Crown Jewels, but to argue they’re on the level of Daytona or the Brickyard is false. I could maybe see the argument for the brickyard as that even has lost its prestige but there’s no way no how any team, driver, sponsor, or janitor would say the southern 500 or coke 600 is the biggest race of the year. Using this logic Greg Biffle has won the big one twice and is a first ballot HOF driver 🙄
Ah I see what you are saying. I do think Denny has gone past Mark in terms of accomplishments, the numbers are there he's even driven past Mark on the all time wins list. I thought I sensed we were devaluing Mark's career due to him not winning the 500 or Cup championship. I used be of the belief the Brickyard 400 was the second biggest race on the calendar but thats gone now with it being bastardized on the road course and the continuous moving dates. I do think the Daytona 500, Coke 600, and Southern 500 are the most important dates on the calendar, akin to golf's majors. I also believe winning one of those races gives your career greater meaning in the grand scheme of things, I just thought we were forgetting Mark's accomplishments. Denny is one of the most accomplished drivers on the circuit right now, its a testament to him that he's lasted this long and prospered while we all thought he was done, almost as if he's reinvented himself.

I can't quit laughing myself every time I see in my mind that historical 48 car stuck down low on the line and driving away from the pack. After listening all week to Yota this or that and Hamlin/Truex are invincible the whole race, Clint was saying wait until Hamlin's tires come in and Bowman continues to drive away. I can't think of a better jaw dropping ending to a race. Mr. Where did he come from is an understatement.

I’m just gonna go ahead and agree with the people that were arguing with me because it makes Greg Biffle’s and Kasey Kahne’s careers look better 😉

Saying the Daytona 500 is the biggest race is pedantic? I’ll let the teams and tv networks know.

19789999.jpg

The Daytona 500 is clearly the biggest race of the year, but the brickyard? Come on.....it's only been running for less than 30 years, it's a crappy race, and it's not even on the oval anymore. The 600 and the southern 500 are way bigger. I can't even call the brickyard a crown jewel.

The Daytona 500 is clearly the biggest race of the year, but the brickyard? Come on.....it's only been running for less than 30 years, it's a crappy race, and it's not even on the oval anymore. The 600 and the southern 500 are way bigger. I can't even call the brickyard a crown jewel.
I think a case could be made that it was the second biggest race of the year but not anymore. Not while it's one life support being run on the road course. I think the Bristol night race is bigger than Indianapolis now.

I don't need to know the definition of the word to know that anyone that associates "greatness" or even "amounts of talent above others by winning a RP race" is another word I'm not going to use but nobody will need to look up....well, almost nobody.

Exhibits A through whatever: Cope, M. Waltrip, Bayne, McMurry, Dillon, McDowell.....

Now, ALL are incredible talents but none are going down as "greats". Jury out on Dillon but I'm not holding my breath....

Back
Top Bottom