Cup RACE thread --- Roval

I do too. However, stop driving with your with your kid hanging out the window. It's ****** stupid, and I have a coronary everytime he does it....and he does it a lot because he wins a lot.

Jeez, it's a great memory the kid will have for the rest of her life, not a big deal. Not like he was doing burnouts or something with her there.

Something "flying" off of the 48 when he had that moment.

I can’t imagine any team let alone a playoff team trying to sneak through a 17 pounds lighter car. I think something happened to the car when Alex did the Evel Knievel thing.

If he lost ballast (tungsten), that's still a harsh harsh penalty.

Are you saying that the DQ is harsh if the #48 lost ballast? I disagree, heavy pieces of lead coming off the cars is one of the "major" no-no's in the NASCAR penalty world. Don't mess with tires, don't mess with fuel, don't mess with engines, don't have ballast come off the car. All of that was/is/will forever be a major penalty.

not the same but still, messing with the ballast

UNACCEPTABLE.....I ****** WANT MY JEFFY AND CHADLY "HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE US OF ANYTHING!" RANT. NOT HAVING THIS! Happy Christmas and Merry Offseason Cutie Pie. Until of course The Felon slips a few C notes Moran's way....This reeks of the Erik Jones DQ a few years ago at Richmond. Sending a message to the rest of the Chain Gang aka...."Don't bring that back." Sting the worst of the bunch. Three Chevys, three Toyotas, and two Fords.....LFG!!!

Anybody seen @StandOnIt?

Maybe he’s taking a break from the same old same old.

I can’t imagine any team let alone a playoff team trying to sneak through a 17 pounds lighter car. I think something happened to the car when Alex did the Evel Knievel thing.
17 lbs light is within allowable tolerance. They were lighter by more than that.

Agree that something parted company with the car.

Chase has every permission to run Larson hard I think. He has always been super aggressive in the past, but he isn't really with his teammates.

As for the car, there is a window where some guys figure what the car needs to make passes, I think that's the biggest differentiating factor.

Larson got to 4th at the drop of the green and chose the preferred lane. Passed Logano in the hairpin, and ran second until he lept SVG on pit road. From what I could see, the 9, 20, 5, and 13 were all the best cars. But I don't think the 9/20 had anything for Larson those first 10-13 laps of a run, and at that point, even if you do run someone down, it's way more difficult to make that pass on worn tires. We saw how much trouble Elliott had with Logano, and the 22 wasn't nearly as fast as any of the other guys.

The 13 probably was the best car, and had he not lost the track position, he would have been fine. But SVG still struggles with restarts at the cup level, and drivers are just better. He lost p2 to Bell early in stage 2, and then race strategy got away from them.

The 5 just did the best job playing track position game, and the strength of the car on the short run played into that.

Larson started the race on the outside lane, and it launched him into like p3 immediately. Elliott chose the bottom lane, had he chosen the leader's lane to start, he probably wouldn't have been running 8th

Don't know. This was still a track position race to me. Larson just had it most of the race. I think the 13 was better
I agree that it was a track position race but at least it had some good racing and beating and banging and interesting strategy. I'm also glad you mentioned the lane choice as that seemed to burn Chase all day.

I have been saying all year that I don't give Larson or Chase or Byron much of a shot if they make homestead but I am willing to back a little off that now as the Toyotas and the Fords seems to be struggling a little more on flat tracks or the Chevy teams have caught up some. Without a win though I give Chase little change to make the final 4 on points. I Larson, Bell and Byron making it but I can't decide on a 4th.

Had he not gotten innocently caught up in that big one when he was wrecked from behind last week, we wouldn't even be discussing this.
Lots of guys were caught up in that considering it was the biggest wreck in history apparently. If Chase is not caught in it he would not have had to play the stage point strategy all day yesterday. Logano got a gift here and there's nothing wrong with that.

I do too. However, stop driving with your with your kid hanging out the window. It's ****** stupid, and I have a coronary everytime he does it....and he does it a lot because he wins a lot.
Harvick did that a few times with Keeland. Did you have a problem with it then?

Coach probably bans his drivers kids from even smiling on race day, little snots might want to drive sprint cars one day

I agree that it was a track position race but at least it had some good racing and beating and banging and interesting strategy. I'm also glad you mentioned the lane choice as that seemed to burn Chase all day.

I have been saying all year that I don't give Larson or Chase or Byron much of a shot if they make homestead but I am willing to back a little off that now as the Toyotas and the Fords seems to be struggling a little more on flat tracks or the Chevy teams have caught up some. Without a win though I give Chase little change to make the final 4 on points. I Larson, Bell and Byron making it but I can't decide on a 4th.
Still, I agree they definitely don’t have a shot to win it on a flat track in Homestead.

Homestead? You mean Phoenix?

I think Bell may have to be favored at Phoenix, but I think the 5's speed this year is tough.

Chase will need to win and he can win Martinsville.

If he doesn't, I think it's Larson, Bell, Byron and Blaney... Again.

chicane.jpg

Larson has done well in this Next Gen

He's got the most wins, most top 5s, 2nd most top 10s (only Bell has more), by FAR the most laps lead, and the 4th best average finish.

People have crowned Byron was too early last year, and this year after some lucky wins and one single break out season. Larson has been the best of the next gen era. And when you consider 2021, the numbers are even more skewed.

He's not dominating like Gordon or Johnson did, but he's dominating like the "big 3" did from 2016-2019.

Fun fact, Larson has won 23 races these last 4 seasons and a championship. Just for reference, Kyle Busch and Kevin Harvick's best 5 season stretch is 27.

If he can win one championship and 5 more races, he would have had himself a better 5 season stretch than KB or Harvick's best.

Only DW, Dale, Gordon and Johnson would have had better 5 season stretches. He's solidly on pace for a top 10 all time cup career, though not much better than that imo.

He's got the most wins, most top 5s, 2nd most top 10s (only Bell has more), by FAR the most laps lead, and the 4th best average finish.

People have crowned Byron was too early last year, and this year after some lucky wins and one single break out season. Larson has been the best of the next gen era. And when you consider 2021, the numbers are even more skewed.

He's not dominating like Gordon or Johnson did, but he's dominating like the "big 3" did from 2016-2019.

Fun fact, Larson has won 23 races these last 4 seasons and a championship. Just for reference, Kyle Busch and Kevin Harvick's best 5 season stretch is 27.

If he can win one championship and 5 more races, he would have had himself a better 5 season stretch than KB or Harvick's best.

Only DW, Dale, Gordon and Johnson would have had better 5 season stretches. He's solidly on pace for a top 10 all time cup career, though not much better than that imo.
You looked it up….so I didn’t have to.
1728969357288.jpeg

Harvick did that a few times with Keeland. Did you have a problem with it then?
Yeah, I did.
Jeez, it's a great memory the kid will have for the rest of her life, not a big deal. Not like he was doing burnouts or something with her there.
We insist that kids put bike with helmets. There is a reason.
I'm pretty sure he's holding them with one hand and driving with the other
I hope so. I've worked with kids who have traumatic brain injuries from skateboarding....with a helmet.
Coach probably bans his drivers kids from even smiling on race day, little snots might want to drive sprint cars one day
Good one.

I think Bell may have to be favored at Phoenix, but I think the 5's speed this year is tough.

I like that Bell has the notebook if he gets there, but I see the Championship race as a different beast.

Somebody get Bake Harris out from under the bus please.

HA! I went into my way back machine. LOL. I wish Homestead was the finale over Phoenix.

Are you saying that the DQ is harsh if the #48 lost ballast? I disagree, heavy pieces of lead coming off the cars is one of the "major" no-no's in the NASCAR penalty world. Don't mess with tires, don't mess with fuel, don't mess with engines, don't have ballast come off the car. All of that was/is/will forever be a major penalty.

not the same but still, messing with the ballast
No, I was saying that it sounded like people were arguing that the penalty was bogus because it was light due to lost ballast, and that wasn’t true because the penalty would be *even more* severe if that were the reason. Guess I apologize for being unclear.

I didn’t think I could have anymore respect for HMS then I already had but that is a classy move and I’m so proud to be a fan of that great organization. Go kick some Toyota’s and Fords butts 48, 24, 5, and 9 teams. ❤️
Proud that they owned it when caught illegal? Ok then…. (I pull for Elliott despite driving for HMS. Growing up they were the evil empire to me.)

Proud that they owned it when caught illegal? Ok then…. (I pull for Elliott despite driving for HMS. Growing up they were the evil empire to me.)
Yep, it could have happened to anyone. It was without a doubt a mistake that will probably never happen again hopefully. But if you feel they were cheating then you shouldn’t even root for the 9 team. But that’s your decision.

Back
Top Bottom