Cup RACE thread --- Roval

Well I'll say this assuming it sticks. You let Logano sneak thru to Phoenix you can engrave the trophy early. Unless Blaney also makes it.

He's the best in the business all things equal imo.

You don't need him there.

When I saw the video explaining DQ but it didn’t say who among HMS it was, I was low key hoping 5 got busted and cucumbered. Sucks for Bowman.

Wow. That’s crazy news, you step away for a few hours and come back to this

UNACCEPTABLE.....I ****** WANT MY JEFFY AND CHADLY "HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE US OF ANYTHING!" RANT. NOT HAVING THIS! Happy Christmas and Merry Offseason Cutie Pie. Until of course The Felon slips a few C notes Moran's way....This reeks of the Erik Jones DQ a few years ago at Richmond. Sending a message to the rest of the Chain Gang aka...."Don't bring that back." Sting the worst of the bunch. Three Chevys, three Toyotas, and two Fords.....LFG!!!

Anybody seen @StandOnIt?

UNACCEPTABLE.....I ****** WANT MY JEFFY AND CHADLY "HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE US OF ANYTHING!" RANT. NOT HAVING THIS! Happy Christmas and Merry Offseason Cutie Pie. Until of course The Felon slips a few C notes Moran's way....This reeks of the Erik Jones DQ a few years ago at Richmond. Sending a message to the rest of the Chain Gang aka...."Don't bring that back." Sting the worst of the bunch. Three Chevys, three Toyotas, and two Fords.....LFG!!!

Anybody seen @StandOnIt?

The 48 was the only one who failed.

Implying that all of HMS was illegal and they busted the 48 to send a message is absurd, even for you 😭

1000011120.png

You can try to deny him but even year Joey Logano will always find a way to get ahead.
He could be a sleeper. It's obvious to say but Larson seems the favorite. Logano can be dangerous in the playoffs though, and another driver who seems to get through whether prolifically or not is Chase Elliott. He already has a championship, snuck into the final four the year after, and found himself in it again the year after that. I won't be surprised to see him there again.

There seems to be something of a regular season champion curse. Reddick's been a little bit like Truex last year, can't seem to have it go his way altogether so far. He's this far in though, it isn't too late.

So I heard he was 17 pounds light.
Also apparently between the races finish and the inspection, he immediately "raced" to the ports-john and proceeded to drop a 20 pounder log before returning to his car for the weigh in. All he could say was "that stinks".
No.

17 pounds is allowable fluid loss. You’re misinformed, as usual.

It was more than 17 lbs off if I understand what he is saying.
I will be REALLY interested in knowing where the car lost that much weight between pre and post race inspection. This isn't the 70's when things like this were common.

No.

17 pounds is allowable fluid loss. You’re misinformed, as usual.
That's not the way I took what Brad said. They fill the fuel before weighing, and he mentioned filling up the water, so why would they need an allowance for fluid loss?

That's not the way I took what Brad said. They fill the fuel before weighing, and he mentioned filling up the water, so why would they need an allowance for fluid loss?
“Section 14.17.2.2.C of the Cup Rule Book states: “After a vehicle has raced, the minimum overall vehicle weight of all vehicles must be within 0.5% of the minimum overall vehicle weight required at the start of the Race.”

Moran said that is about 17 pounds.

“Moran said that after the No. 48 car failed inspection for minimum weight, the team was given the opportunity to fuel the car and purge the water system and add water.”

Moran would not say how much Bowman’s car was underweight citing the potential for an appeal. NASCAR took the No. 48 car to its R&D Center

Reactions: Pat
It passed minimum weight in prerace inspection.

Did they lose some ballast? Purposefully removing weight makes no sense.
Maybe he lost some ballast when he did that Evil Knievel jump at the start of the race. Damn, it sucks whatever the reason is. More of the Bowman curse.

“Section 14.17.2.2.C of the Cup Rule Book states: “After a vehicle has raced, the minimum overall vehicle weight of all vehicles must be within 0.5% of the minimum overall vehicle weight required at the start of the Race.”

Moran said that is about 17 pounds.

“Moran said that after the No. 48 car failed inspection for minimum weight, the team was given the opportunity to fuel the car and purge the water system and add water.”

Moran would not say how much Bowman’s car was underweight citing the potential for an appeal. NASCAR took the No. 48 car to its R&D Center
So the 0.5% is an overall allowance because if the car is light they top off the fuel and water and weigh again, it's not an allowance for lost fluids.

Lol the Racing Gods said “it’s an even year and Logano is going to the final 4 by any means necessary”

At least his next title isn’t until 2026 if the pattern remains the same.

And that be an even bigger penalty they don't like when weights are flying around.
They don’t like anything coming off the car that’s for sure. Also the lack of weight could have caused that car to handle crappy which could explain why it was not a very good car most of the day.

Not sure if I have ever had a race where I was happy as happy with the outcome but at the same time as frustrated. To see Chase get 17 stage points and still pull a P5 finish was great but what sucks is that I think the car was better than that - especially on long runs and he may have had something for Larson if he could have played a different strategy but this is the box they are in with not having enough playoff points. It is what it is at this point though and I feel like he will need to win in the round of 8 to advance to Phoenix which will be a tall order. Martinsville will be his best shot I think. Either way though it's been a good bounce-back year for the 9 team but they are still missing that race winning speed a lot of the time. Getting closer I think but still a true believer that AG needs to go. I like the guy but it's just time.

I'd really like to know more about Bowman - how much weight were they down and is there a chance this was not malicious in that it was due to damage? I am sure HMS will appeal obviously but this is a strange one for sure. His sudden boost in performance in these playoffs has me wondering if they have been getting away with something until now.

I love seeing a kid around their Dad's winning car, especially if they are just old enough to never forget the moment.
A forever momemt and memory for the family to cherish.
I do too. However, stop driving with your with your kid hanging out the window. It's ****** stupid, and I have a coronary everytime he does it....and he does it a lot because he wins a lot.

Not sure if I have ever had a race where I was happy as happy with the outcome but at the same time as frustrated. To see Chase get 17 stage points and still pull a P5 finish was great but what sucks is that I think the car was better than that - especially on long runs and he may have had something for Larson if he could have played a different strategy but this is the box they are in with not having enough playoff points. It is what it is at this point though and I feel like he will need to win in the round of 8 to advance to Phoenix which will be a tall order. Martinsville will be his best shot I think. Either way though it's been a good bounce-back year for the 9 team but they are still missing that race winning speed a lot of the time. Getting closer I think but still a true believer that AG needs to go. I like the guy but it's just time.

Chase was really fast on the long run in stage 1. He didn't really show that pace the rest of the race because he was mired in traffic. I dont think he had as easy of a time cutting through traffic.

Even if they flipped the stage at the end of stage 2, Chase still would have started out stage 3 outside the top 10.

I kind of understand. He never had the track position to make a winning strategy, which ultimately falls on qualifying, so they needed to maximize their day in other ways.

A top 5 finish, 17 stage points, and at times race winning speed is a great day.

Agreed about AG

Chase was really fast on the long run in stage 1. He didn't really show that pace the rest of the race because he was mired in traffic. I dont think he had as easy of a time cutting through traffic.

Even if they flipped the stage at the end of stage 2, Chase still would have started out stage 3 outside the top 10.

I kind of understand. He never had the track position to make a winning strategy, which ultimately falls on qualifying, so they needed to maximize their day in other ways.

A top 5 finish, 17 stage points, and at times race winning speed is a great day.

Agreed about AG
Can't really blame qials. though. He started P7. Larson was shot out of a cannon at the start and he ran around 8th for a bit until long run speed showed. From everything I heard though, the car was great and they made little adjustment all day. I guess at one point Chase told everyone on the radio to "calm down and let him do his thing" which shows me he is feeling confident.

IDK...This car is odd to me. You are told everyone is in a box and there is little the teams can do but then you see the performance of the 11 fall off the way it has and the way Larson did for a bit there after Sonoma and then other guys find speed like Larson has again or the 48 suddenly found - Although now I wonder if they have been legal.

Either way - Chase's demise on road courses has been greatly over exaggerated. He still runs really well on them - just luck and strategy not going his way. I really want to see a rematch of Watkins Glen with him and Larson to see if Chase returns the favor. What's weird is I'd like to see him do it but almost would have more respect if he didn't and still got beat.

Lol the Racing Gods said “it’s an even year and Logano is going to the final 4 by any means necessary”

At least his next title isn’t until 2026 if the pattern remains the same.
Had he not gotten innocently caught up in that big one when he was wrecked from behind last week, we wouldn't even be discussing this.

Can't really blame qials. though. He started P7. Larson was shot out of a cannon at the start and he ran around 8th for a bit until long run speed showed. From everything I heard though, the car was great and they made little adjustment all day. I guess at one point Chase told everyone on the radio to "calm down and let him do his thing" which shows me he is feeling confident.

IDK...This car is odd to me. You are told everyone is in a box and there is little the teams can do but then you see the performance of the 11 fall off the way it has and the way Larson did for a bit there after Sonoma and then other guys find speed like Larson has again or the 48 suddenly found - Although now I wonder if they have been legal.

Either way - Chase's demise on road courses has been greatly over exaggerated. He still runs really well on them - just luck and strategy not going his way. I really want to see a rematch of Watkins Glen with him and Larson to see if Chase returns the favor. What's weird is I'd like to see him do it but almost would have more respect if he didn't and still got beat.

Chase has every permission to run Larson hard I think. He has always been super aggressive in the past, but he isn't really with his teammates.

As for the car, there is a window where some guys figure what the car needs to make passes, I think that's the biggest differentiating factor.

Larson got to 4th at the drop of the green and chose the preferred lane. Passed Logano in the hairpin, and ran second until he lept SVG on pit road. From what I could see, the 9, 20, 5, and 13 were all the best cars. But I don't think the 9/20 had anything for Larson those first 10-13 laps of a run, and at that point, even if you do run someone down, it's way more difficult to make that pass on worn tires. We saw how much trouble Elliott had with Logano, and the 22 wasn't nearly as fast as any of the other guys.

The 13 probably was the best car, and had he not lost the track position, he would have been fine. But SVG still struggles with restarts at the cup level, and drivers are just better. He lost p2 to Bell early in stage 2, and then race strategy got away from them.

The 5 just did the best job playing track position game, and the strength of the car on the short run played into that.

Larson started the race on the outside lane, and it launched him into like p3 immediately. Elliott chose the bottom lane, had he chosen the leader's lane to start, he probably wouldn't have been running 8th

Don't know. This was still a track position race to me. Larson just had it most of the race. I think the 13 was better

I do too. However, stop driving with your with your kid hanging out the window. It's ****** stupid, and I have a coronary everytime he does it....and he does it a lot because he wins a lot.
I'm pretty sure he's holding them with one hand and driving with the other

So I heard he was 17 pounds light.
Also apparently between the races finish and the inspection, he immediately "raced" to the ports-john and proceeded to drop a 20 pounder log before returning to his car for the weigh in. All he could say was "that stinks".
I am hearing the team switched from air to nitrogen in the tires at the first stop. The last stop they were supposed to use regular air, but Bowman was called in before the pit crew could make the switch back.

Back
Top Bottom