Cup RACE thread --- Soggy Daytona

As I recall, you were in the running for the 5 seat before they finally settled on Larson.

I wonder if Rick regrets that decision? 😎

this all comes back to ........
If all you or I had to do from age 10 on was learn how to be a race car driver with the best equipment available

how many of us would not become an Austin Dillion caliber driver
That’s a decent amount of time to develop, and I also think each of us in this hypothetical scenario you’ve presented would attain a sense of discernment when it comes to just what kind of drivers we are and what kind of moves we would [find appropriate and inappropriate to] make. Me personally, if I ever got to fulfill the dream of being a racecar driver, I’d want to emulate a Jimmie Johnson type, a man who lets his driving do the talking and a clean racer for the most part, but not afraid to make slight usage of the bumper if absolutely necessary, be it going for a win or primarily for someone who’d get the bright idea of being a little Chastainy to me.

Glad I'm NOT an official at NASCAR. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. No win situation.
For sure.

IMO, there is a 89.5% correlation between the fans that whine because you didn't call a pre-emptive caution when rain was near, and the fans that whined a couple years ago when you *did call* a caution for impending rain.

Imagine the uproar, and the conspiracy theories, if Nascar had thrown a yellow flag before rain hit the track. Nascar is damned if they do and damned if they don't... and 89.5% of the time it's the same people damning in either case.

I didn't like Dillon's move on Cindric. It was similar to his move on Almirola to win the Daytona 500 by wrecking the 10 car... similar but this time was slightly less egregious IMO. Not a fan of the dirty driving ethos that has become so frequent in modern Nascar. Dirty driving has always been permitted in Nascar, and I've never liked it or approved of it, but it has become far more common and that's a shame. (Austin Cindric didn't seem to feel abused or violated by it, but then remember that Cindric has exhibited that same ethos... look what he did to Blaney to win his Daytona 500... :( )

Austin has four wins at the Cup level, plus championships in xFinity & Trucks. I'm not sure AD is better than Reddick but he's not far off.

Reddick is better. He runs up front more often

I didn't like Dillon's move on Cindric. It was similar to his move on Almirola to win the Daytona 500 by wrecking the 10 car... similar but this time was slightly less egregious IMO. Not a fan of the dirty driving ethos that has become so frequent in modern Nascar. Dirty driving has always been permitted in Nascar, and I've never liked it or approved of it, but it has become far more common and that's a shame. (Austin Cindric didn't seem to feel abused or violated by it, but then remember that Cindric has exhibited that same ethos... look what he did to Blaney to win his Daytona 500... :( )
It's definitely a chicken or the egg situation. In my opinion Cup series if far cleaner than local series & the lower NASCAR levels, those guys view their cars as nothing more sheet metal swords with rubber wheels. But at the same time, this all goes back to Dale Earnhardt in my opinion. He gained popularity by straight up running dudes over, and it changed how everyone who grew up in the 90s viewed being a "race car" driver

The facts are Dillion's move on Almirola and Cindric are completely different. Dillion wrecked Almirola, he moved Cendric. The similar part for was for both is that Dillion advanced his position. At least the Cindric move was cleaner.
Years ago Dillion did a really sloppy job of wrecking Almirola, he never had a chance. I thought it was a chickens!hit move and so did just about everybody else. Still do for that matter. Then instead of being apologetic about his move on Almirola, he adds insult to injury when he and his crew got tattoos on their asses and bragged about it.

Back
Top Bottom