Cup RACE thread ---- Watkins Glen

That's awesome.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
The best part was after the race getting congrats from the driver, CC and teammates, I choked up again but tried to gain my composure so I get it and Bubba got the best advice form Pruitt, you are here for a reason, suck it up and dont doubt yourself.

Problem is he isn’t punching back against the right guys. The Billy Bad Butt routine with Austin Dillon isn’t helping him against Hamlin, Chastain, or the other contenders who have used him up.
That's your opinion. Dillion was racing him like an idiot. Larson had nothing to loose, he's in the Chase, pissed off at himself and here is this jackwad messing with him who needs points and position way more that Larson does.

This is crazy. Some will obviously be skeptical, and I get that.
A few years ago I lost my best friend, my ride or die, the guy I shared hundreds of thousands of miles of windshield time with, headed to one race or another. Today is his birthday, and I paid a visit to him. HUGE Gordon fan he was, an OG fan, before his career really took off. I told him I'd cheer for "that cheated-up" 24 car (the cheated up part would ALWAYS set him off, lol) today in honor of his birthday. Meanwhile, I took Hamlin in our pick-em league.
I see you Skip, I see what you did here. You got me GOOD today! Consider it my gift to you.
Happy Birthday brother!

Didn’t really get to watch today as I had been traveling and then doing work errands but seems like I sadly didn’t miss much. Bummer, I love The Glen. Just glancing at the results and what blows me away is we are one race away from Chase Elliott missing the playoffs and thus, a shot at a championship in the prime of his career. I don’t know about you all, but imo that’s an unmitigated disaster on any level and I would think changes are going to be made on the 9 team. Really at this point, I could honestly see him going winless this year. Hendrick(s) is going have half their fleet missing the Playoffs this year, that’d be a bold prediction for sure.

Didn’t really get to watch today as I had been traveling and then doing work errands but seems like I sadly didn’t miss much. Bummer, I love The Glen. Just glancing at the results and what blows me away is we are one race away from Chase Elliott missing the playoffs and thus, a shot at a championship in the prime of his career. I don’t know about you all, but imo that’s an unmitigated disaster on any level and I would think changes are going to be made on the 9 team. Really at this point, I could honestly see him going winless this year. Hendrick(s) is going have half their fleet missing the Playoffs this year, that’d be a bold prediction for sure.
Good times. 🫢

Saw this on Reddit, just gonna leave it here
What's the context for this statement? What's the "same thing"

Is he referencing a decision? The relationship wearing thin?

I'm gonna say what I've said for years.

This is about two people working together to do a job.

This isn't plug n play.

Relationships wear out, and previous success doesn't mean **** if they're both emotionally exhausted as professionals together, if they don't have confidence, if they're settling. Driver CCs don't last forever. Jimmie and Chad, apparently, were in psychotherapy together for years with a sports psychologist to preserve their professional relationship.

At the end of the day, this is two people who have worked together for a long time. And when I listen to them, even last year, they both just sound so indifferent. This isnt about their history, it isn't about the success, it isn't about ability and talent.This is about a professional relationship between two that has run it's course, emotionally.

Saw this on Reddit, just gonna leave it here

He said basically what I posted during the race, when the margin for error is non existent and you're making decisions to desperately sway things in your favor, you're bound to cross that line and screw up, probably more times than not. They set themselves behind the 8 ball yesterday and it snowballed.

This isn't plug n play.

Relationships wear out, and previous success doesn't mean **** if they're both emotionally exhausted as professionals together, if they don't have confidence, if they're settling. Driver CCs don't last forever. Jimmie and Chad, apparently, were in psychotherapy together for years with a sports psychologist to preserve their professional relationship.

At the end of the day, this is two people who have worked together for a long time. And when I listen to them, even last year, they both just sound so indifferent. This isnt about their history, it isn't about the success, it isn't about ability and talent.This is about a professional relationship between two that has run it's course, emotionally.

You see the same in other sports too. Look at Tom Brady and Bill Belichick towards the end. Sometimes people need change in order to continue to grow and prosper.

He said basically what I posted during the race, when the margin for error is non existent and you're making decisions to desperately sway things in your favor, you're bound to cross that line and screw up, probably more times than not. They set themselves behind the 8 ball yesterday and it snowballed.
I have some patients that work for teams and media in the sport, and one I trust told me it's F1 now. There's no improving over the weekend due to the setup box being so small. He said you could make minor gains, but if your sim program sucked that week and you unload 15th fastest, you're going to run 15th and there's very little you can do about it. One more strike against this POS car imho, but it is what it is. He said the "we unloaded junk and took big swings at it and now look at us!" days are over. Chase killed himself on Saturday, and Alan just shoveled a heap on dirt onto the grave.

This isn't plug n play.

The tone I pick up is that Chase has lost all confidence and Alan is kinda done with him. At least Alan feigns confidence and swagger on radio. There's definitely a sense that they're both tired of and blaming each other but they never have the needed Jimmie/Chad blowup.

"Same thing" I think was staying on same pit strategy as everyone else. He made his move with the initial undercut and gained 3-4 spots. What the hell he was doing staying out here I have no clue. They weren't gaining, in fact he had burnt his stuff up and was in free fall so pitting would have made sense. Maybe they were hoping for a caution? If so, dumb because at a road course it hurts you to pit alone. There needs to be a shakeup.

It's a hard concept for some to realize that for whatever reasons their driver isn't going to make the playoffs. In Elliott's and about 4 other drivers case, it doesn't matter if they do make the Chase.
Just like McDowell. It's a feel good story, but he has a snowball's chance in hell. Much like Chase. Heck, outside of Byron, Larson, and Truex I don't know of anyone who does stand a legit shot.

There's no improving over the weekend due to the setup box being so small. He said you could make minor gains, but if your sim program sucked that week and you unload 15th fastest, you're going to run 15th and there's very little you can do about it. One more strike against this POS car imho, but it is what it is. He said the "we unloaded junk and took big swings at it and now look at us!" days are over.
Perhaps more than 15 minutes of practice would help with that a bit.

I have some patients that work for teams and media in the sport, and one I trust told me it's F1 now. There's no improving over the weekend due to the setup box being so small. He said you could make minor gains, but if your sim program sucked that week and you unload 15th fastest, you're going to run 15th and there's very little you can do about it. One more strike against this POS car imho, but it is what it is. He said the "we unloaded junk and took big swings at it and now look at us!" days are over. Chase killed himself on Saturday, and Alan just shoveled a heap on dirt onto the grave.
Eh I think the lack of HP affects short tracks and road courses more so because the margin is so so slim

The tone I pick up is that Chase has lost all confidence and Alan is kinda done with him. At least Alan feigns confidence and swagger on radio. There's definitely a sense that they're both tired of and blaming each other but they never have the needed Jimmie/Chad blowup.
That's totally what I gather. Alan has been in this job a long time, much longer then Chase was even IN NASCAR, nvm cup. First championships are hard to duplicate. Alan sounds burnt out, Chase has no confidence. I agree.

Best version of Chase, behind the wheel, was 2020-2021. Chase throwing tantrums, going at it with Harvick, etc is the Chase Eliot who races with confidence. It reminds me of listening to JJ the last few years, just total acceptance of running poorly.

Chase doesn't sound like an athlete who is overly vocal or can motivate himself. He needs people around him who bring that, and he can put it over the edge. There's nothing wrong with that. But he needs a crew chief who is happy to be there, and who can get chase/the whole 9 team pumped up.

At this point a better personality fit is more important than a competent crew chief. Because Chase isn't winning **** if he isn't confident in himself or his crew chief.

Not sure if we've heard this. But this is the **** Chase needs. Cliff could convince me to run through a wall.

Reactions: Pat

When you are behind you cant stay on the same strategy with the people in front, if you do you have no chance so you roll the dice and try to one up them, sometimes it works other times, snake eyes!

Back
Top Bottom