Cup Series Car Count

Nascar's elixir is young people and until they can figure out a way to entice young people to become fans they are spitting into the wind. When less than 10% of your audience is 18-34 and 65-70% is over 50 it doesn't take Pythagoras to understand that the current Nascar fan is aging out and dying off and are only being replaced by a fraction of young people.
There are fewer cars because there are fewer sponsors wiling to pay what it costs to fund a Cup team. There are fewer sponsors because many of them no longer consider NASCAR an effective way to reach impressionable demographics.

Smaller fields aren't a problem; they're a symptom.

I know. SOI was saying yesterday that that FOX and NBC paid 2.4 million to broadcast Nascar for 8 years so you it is important to verify what people say even if they provide a link.

There are fewer cars because there are fewer sponsors wiling to pay what it costs to fund a Cup team. There are fewer sponsors because many of them no longer consider NASCAR an effective way to reach impressionable demographics.

Smaller fields aren't a problem; they're a symptom.

Exactly! If you can't scrounge up enough customers your benefactors feel are worth reaching they are going to write checks for much smaller amounts.

that depends on the year. Many years the leaders were lapping the field. Just a couple years ago it was common to have two or three start n parks, various past provisional champions running a few laps that nobody paid much attention to, some heckling. I seem to remember Bobby Labonte was a weekly whiny topic. He is racing in the euro series a bit now :p The charters are exactly doing the funneling of funds to the less competitive teams. If you don't have a charter, your prize money winnings are a third less than with a charter. But with anything else you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. I won't be surprised if some charter teams fail..But others will take their places. rise and fall rise and fall.
I was referencing more the late 90s and early/mid-2000s. Obviously, those days aren't coming back any time soon.

Place is pitiful they don't have enough cars in Michigan...sky is falling oooh next year there will be less. grow a pair. Could be dead by next year.

BTW this week at Sonoma they have 38 signed up and 36 are charters..find something wrong with that..it's a new week to be you.

Every race I'm at is a good race. It's like boinking; some times are better than others, but all of them are at least very, very good, and it's always better than just watching it on TV.

You should have been at the Brickyard tire debacle or some of the MIS races.......:D

Look I'm not pretending to know some concrete information.

I'm from Mooresville. I know quite a few people and neighbors who work in shops who seem to think that cup series entry lists will be around 32 or 34 cars on average next year and keep dropping in the years to come. This isn't inside information. This isn't made up. I'm not claiming that it will happen for sure. This is speculation but it's also something that I predict will happen. And I'm not alone in that prediction.

But think...

Looks to me like SHR is down to 2 or 3 cars next year.

BK racing is probably going to close down.

Sure we may get GMS but are they going to replace 3 cars all on their own? Probably no.

I could see the charters not even filling up. Big those charters still are valuable.

But back to my original question..

Is NASCAR doing anything for cost reduction? How could this problem be fixed?

And despite what some say... yes this is a problem. Where does it end?
They're talking about moving more parts to a spec/universal supplier or at least narrowing where you can buy certain parts. Shortening race weekends.

It will in the sense that no new owners can enter the sport and eventually you will get what 4 big owners determine you will get. Any time you cut the ability of new car owners to enter and improve their product, you cheat yourself.
Here is a good example: The 78 car ran for a long time and never was a threat to anyone. Probably took home last place money quite often. Then they got a chance to have Kurt for a driver and found out they could get better if they had a decent driver,crew and gave that driver better cars. Still a single car team operating on their own far away from the hub of racing, they got a driver who didn't have that impressive a resume but showed he could win and was a veteran. They made some crew changes, hired an unknown Canadian CC and today they are leading the pack. They did this BEFORE
Toyota jumped in to help. That little 78 team using the same equipment as JGR is beating the pants off all Toyotas.

Do you still think those little back marker teams should be shut down and just add a couple cars to existing teams???????????

I'd be fine with that. Teams like BK and GoFas are not going to become the next FRR. You wouldn't necessarily have to add to existing teams either and still have a field full of chartered teams.

Bad news for NASCAR, they won't have as many cars to bring out an intentional caution with five laps to go.

I thought I had never seen a bad race until I turned on the Xfinity race at Indianapolis last year. By far the worst NASCAR race I've ever seen, even worse than the Tire Debacle race IMO.

I thought I had never seen a bad race until I turned on the Xfinity race at Indianapolis last year. By far the worst NASCAR race I've ever seen, even worse than the Tire Debacle race IMO.

When I have been at the track I have always been able to find some battles that have interested me and attending MIS for as long as I did it was necessary as it wasn't uncommon for a car to check out on the field. Back then there wasn't as much debris either so caution flags were rare so the cars did not get bunched up and restarted again. Watching on TV restricts what you can watch and I am unwilling to use other gizmos to watch certain cars or see the time differential between cars. I did like the overhead shots used at MIS like the ESPN helicopter did back in the 90's. For me it gives perspective and is easier to determine what is going on.

I won't miss 5 back markers ............ or 10
I have no clue who sponsors the "laps down" klan either ( except for Aspen dental )

The aero engineers have been hard at work, restrictor plates and wheel well modifications are some how going to turn that one lane mess of a Nascar contest into a passing fest. :D Never again will the Nascar fan have to suffer thru another Indy debacle. yeah right.

Back
Top Bottom