Current Drivers HOF Chances

No more than 3 should go in every year

Once they finsh catching up for the fact the HOF is so young, I hope they go to a model more like MLB, where a nominee has to appear on 75% of ballots. Some years that may mean 6-7. Others it may mean 1-2.

I think that all of these guys double and triple dipping the last 15 years is certainly going to change how we look at certain drivers. I really wish NASCAR would just induct drivers into their specific class, and them induct them multiple times if warranted. Kyle could be inducted in three categories. Junior Johnson could go in as a driver AND as an owner. Ned Jarrett as a driver AND a broadcaster. Mark Martin for Cup AND Busch.

No offence, but that makes no sense whatsoever...Wins are wins, period. IMO it doesn’t matter what series they are in. If Hornaday gets in with truck wins, then so be it. Performance across all series should be AND ARE taken into account.

Being inducted into HOF is a once in a lifetime deal, once you’re in, you’re in. Other sports induct players and builders. I see no difference in what NASCAR is doing. Guys that win on track get in, and owners/crew/media guys are considered in another category.

On a side note, I’d actually like to see something similar to baseball in the inductee gets to choose what car/team/organization they represent. I think it would be cool to see Petty and the 43 car, or Dale and the 3 car, etc. I think it could add an extra layer to the legacy.

Well, go fight it out with the people that don't even want people from the lower series in the Hall at ALL! I think my idea makes perfect sense, because while all of the acheivments are worthy of recognition, they are NOT all equal.

You won't find a bigger Harry Gant fan here than me, but I've said from the day the HoF was announced that his Cup career was a little shy of what I want to see in a Hall of Famer. MAYBE if you include his 20 some odd Busch wins and his Late Model Sportsman success pre-1982, but I don't feel real good about it. I feel the same way about Neil Bonnett, Ricky Rudd, Davey Allison, Jeff Burton, Greg Biffle and Buddy Baker.

I think Gant definitely deserves to be in, he was great for a long time, lots of great late LMS stuff , and winning four in a row past his 50th birthday is unique and may never happen again. I think Rudd gets in for overhaul ruggedness. It isnt all stats, the way a driver inspired it part of the fame aspect imo.

One driver that is probably nobodies favorite, and really quirky is Geoff Bodine.
His cup stats ain't enough but the entire body of work qualifies him, imo.

Jeff Burton will get in via the Dale Jarrett. Good driving career getting extra accreditation for being a company man.

Back
Top Bottom