Dale Jr. a Free Agent?

W

Ward Burton

JASKI.COM

Dale Jr. a Free Agent: #8-Dale Earnhardt Jr. says he is a “free agent” and has no long-term commitment to drive for Dale Earnhardt Inc. In January, Junior said during a news conference he had reached a deal to stay with DEI through 2007. But he never signed a contract and said last weekend at Watkins Glen he has only a “driver's agreement” that runs from race to race. Junior says he wants to get the contract done—but on his terms. “I've paid my dues to get where I am, and I feel I have to stand up for myself,” he says. “There's too many security blankets on one side of the fence, and there need to be a few on my side. Right now the contract looks out totally after Dale Earnhardt Inc. rather than myself.” Junior expressed concerns that if the complexion of DEI should change through the sale of the company or the addition of a new partner, he wants the option to leave if he doesn't agree with the new ownership. Junior says he and crew chief Tony Eury Sr., an uncle, and car chief Tony Eury Jr., a cousin, are a package deal. Though Junior hopes to work things out with DEI, there are a lot of fans who would love to see him team up with Richard Childress, his late father's longtime car owner. DEI better not drag its feet.(Sporting News and PRN's Garagepass)(8-11-2003)

I could see him leaving DEI if the deal isn't right. Theresa has a reputation as a very shrewed business woman. She will likely not give Junior what he wants, perhaps feeling that he will not really leave. I think Junior would be a very attractive free agent if only for the huge fan following he has.

Damn, I thought that was a done deal, the contract signing and all.

With the rumors of Stewart going to Ganassi, if it does happen you guys think Junior would take the #20 ride? Im sure Gibbs would be after him.

Originally posted by ward22@Aug 11 2003, 07:49 PM
Maybe Gannassi would take him...or RCR in the #30.
RCR in the 3, not happenin' though.

Originally posted by RobbyG Fan@Aug 11 2003, 08:09 PM
With the rumors of Stewart going to Ganassi, if it does happen you guys think Junior would take the #20 ride? Im sure Gibbs would be after him.
Why would Joe Gibbs Racing want to take a step back? :p

Originally posted by Highboy90+Aug 12 2003, 02:50 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Highboy90 @ Aug 12 2003, 02:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--RobbyG Fan@Aug 11 2003, 08:09 PM
With the rumors of Stewart going to Ganassi, if it does happen you guys think Junior would take the #20 ride?&nbsp; Im sure Gibbs would be after him.
Why would Joe Gibbs Racing want to take a step back? :p [/b][/quote]
If Tony bolts for Ganassi's (or anybody else's money for that matter) Gibbs would have no other choice but to take a step back as there are very few better than Tony and they ain't going anywhere. ;)

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin@Aug 11 2003, 10:59 PM
If Tony bolts for Ganassi's (or anybody else's money for that matter) Gibbs would have no other choice but to take a step back as there are very few better than Tony and they ain't going anywhere. ;)
Ain't that the truth 4X. I still don't see Tony leaving. But if he does it is Gibbs is definetly have a hard time finding some as good to fill his ride.

I'd love to see Dale Jr. over here in RCR WITH a different crew chief but realistically I dont see him leaving DEI but I think if he were in another race team, he'd be winning races a lot more, not to take anything away from him because he's one of my favorites but I'm just tired of not seeing the Bud Chevy in victory lane that much. How many times has Tony Eury and that Bud Crew zinged on the lugs nuts incorrectly ? How many times has Tony Jr. had a crappy pit strategy and lost Jr the race ? For Dale Jr. to win, I think he needs to sever those family ties and get himself a new crew.

Originally posted by DeeDee+Aug 11 2003, 09:09 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DeeDee @ Aug 11 2003, 09:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--4xchampncountin@Aug 11 2003, 10:59 PM
If Tony bolts for Ganassi's (or anybody else's money for that matter) Gibbs would have no other choice but to take a step back as there are very few better than Tony and they ain't going anywhere.&nbsp; ;)
Ain't that the truth 4X. I still don't see Tony leaving. But if he does it is Gibbs is definetly have a hard time finding some as good to fill his ride. [/b][/quote]
Hey Dee, would you swap to Dodge with Tony, or would you remain in the Chevy camp with Zippy and Home Depot?

Originally posted by bowtie@Aug 11 2003, 11:13 PM
Hey Dee, would you swap to Dodge with Tony, or would you remain in the Chevy camp with Zippy and Home Depot?
I am a chevy girl bow. It would be rough though, I would still have to pull for Tony. It would depend on who Gibbs puts in the seat as to weather or not I would still pull for the home depot car.

I do have to add that if Tony ever goes to Ford, there's no way I am pulling for him. Can't do it.

Originally posted by DeeDee@Aug 11 2003, 09:18 PM
I do have to add that if Tony ever goes to Ford, there's no way I am pulling for him. Can't do it.
That's my girl. I knew I liked you for some reason.
ices_lol_large.gif

Originally posted by bowtie+Aug 11 2003, 11:23 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bowtie @ Aug 11 2003, 11:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--DeeDee@Aug 11 2003, 09:18 PM
ices_lol_large.gif
[/b][/quote]
Now if we can only get 97 to see things our way....

Originally posted by DeeDee+Aug 11 2003, 09:26 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DeeDee @ Aug 11 2003, 09:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -bowtie@Aug 11 2003, 11:23 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--DeeDee
@Aug 11 2003, 09:18 PM

ices_lol_large.gif
Now if we can only get 97 to see things our way.... [/b][/quote]
Not gonna happen, his mamma dropped him on his head when he was just a baby.
028.gif

Is that what happened? :wacko: :cuckoo: I was wondering! Poor guy.

Have a good one Bow, I am going to bed...catch ya tomorrow.

Originally posted by DeeDee@Aug 11 2003, 09:31 PM
Is that what happened? :wacko: :cuckoo: I was wondering! Poor guy.

Have a good one Bow, I am going to bed...catch ya tomorrow.
Later Dee.

It's strange no one addressed what the issues were that are keeping Lil'E from signing. You have to look no further than his Busch team. Lil'E was wanting more control of DEI. Teresa built DEI and is not about to give Lil'E a piece of the management. According to Mikey and Steve last year, Lil'E can't even make it to the morning meetings as he doesn't get up until noon. Teresa helped him start the Busch team to show him what being an owner meant. She is letting him make all of the decisions. But, he wants his now. Also, he wants to reduce the number of appearances to 1 per week. He already makes fewer appearances than other drivers of his stature. Admittedly there are quite a few that would love to be in the demand he is in. While he may have matured some this year he is hardly capable of running DEI.

Personally I would love for Teresa to take the money and run. Turning everything over to Lil'E. It wouldn't be long before everything fell apart... :p

I think he needs to get rid of Tony Eury and Tony Jr., both of them have cost him races like the Pepsi 400, they've ran him out of gas, under their direction several crewmembers forgot to zing on lug nuts correctly.

Originally posted by Happy29@Aug 12 2003, 10:40 PM
I think he needs to get rid of Tony Eury and Tony Jr., both of them have cost him races like the Pepsi 400, they've ran him out of gas, under their direction several crewmembers forgot to zing on lug nuts correctly.
completely agree...

ps
love the new avatar...

Dale Jr. is a has-been, never-was.....replace him with Todd Bodine! :p

p.s. If I was Theresa, I would write him a contract/check for whatever he wants, the Bud mechandise this guys sells is worth millions....

Originally posted by redrock@Aug 13 2003, 09:34 AM
Dale Jr. is a has-been, never-was.....replace him with Todd Bodine! :p

p.s. If I was Theresa, I would write him a contract/check for whatever he wants, the Bud mechandise this guys sells is worth millions....
I'd rather have Buckshot jones or Jack Sprague than that "cue ball headed moron" as Jr calls him.

UPDATE: While Dale Earnhardt Jr. still has not signed a contract to drive for Dale Earnhardt Inc. through the 2007 season, his sister and business manager said Tuesday that Earnhardt Jr. has "no issues with his team" and no plans to drive anywhere else. "The whole thing is way overblown," said Kelley Earnhardt, who as business manager for JR Motorsports has been part of the contract talks with DEI. "There is a verbal agreement and 95 percent of the deal is worked out. There are just a few things Dale Jr. and Teresa (Earnhardt, Dale Jr.'s stepmother) need to work out." Earnhardt said early this year that he'd reached an agreement on a new contract, but the Sporting News and the Performance Racing Network reported Monday that Earnhardt Jr. said this weekend at Watkins Glen that too many of the new deal's "security blankets" were on the DEI side of the fence. Earnhardt Jr. was quoted as saying he feels a need to take care of himself in the deal. Kelley Earnhardt said Tuesday that none of the remaining issues have anything to do with his role as driver of the No. 8 Chevrolets and that Earnhardt Jr. has no plans to go to any other team. One issue still being discussed, she said, was an ownership position in DEI for Earnhardt Jr.(ThatsRacin.com)(8-13-2003)

I dont think Teresa and everyone else will let Dale Jr. lessen the amount of appearances and I think that'll be the main battleground over this contract deal.

Back
Top Bottom