Dale Jr Explains It All

Young blood is cheap.. or some might say, reasonable.

Jr is right, when sponsorship dollars decline the driver salaries will be hit with the biggest cuts.

the problem as I see it, yes it sounds simple just bring in a trevor bayne or stenhouse for 20% of what matt kenseth or carl edwards was making. But I can't see how companies would be willing to spend big money on drivers no one knows and are unproven. I can't see nationwide paying 20 million to sponsor dale jr and paying the same to sponsor alex boman. Money is still relative, teams should still be able to get more money for a big name. The problem is there is just way way less money even for the big names of the sport. I am a little surprised we don't see more separation from the haves and have nots. The best funded team ie hendrick doesn't seem to be taking advantage of a better financial position.

Yeah, because a young college person knows how to and can do the same work as an experienced person.
That's the way they think some times. Problem is, by the time they figure out it was a mistake, it is too late.

the problem as I see it, yes it sounds simple just bring in a trevor bayne or stenhouse for 20% of what matt kenseth or carl edwards was making. But I can't see how companies would be willing to spend big money on drivers no one knows and are unproven. I can't see nationwide paying 20 million to sponsor dale jr and paying the same to sponsor alex boman. Money is still relative, teams should still be able to get more money for a big name. The problem is there is just way way less money even for the big names of the sport. I am a little surprised we don't see more separation from the haves and have nots. The best funded team ie hendrick doesn't seem to be taking advantage of a better financial position.

The issue for sponsors is not as much the driver as it is the tv time, exposure, and integration into their own marketing campaigns. A driver like DEJ (due to popularity) requires a big wallet, but sponsors are not willing to pay what they once did for anyone. Ratings are sliding, attendance dropping, and that translates into less ROI.

It is quite simple. Sponsor only wants to pay 15 million, team costs 12 million so hire a driver for 3 million and let the 6-8 million dollar driver go. That is what is happening just as Junior said. JJ will retire when Lowes signs a new contract.
I think Brad may have had to take a small cut but he can make up the difference by shutting down the truck team.

Back
Top Bottom