Dale Jr - Hall of Fame worthy?

If Jr had his spot in the HOF would it bring in more visitors to the HOF (and ticket sales).

Oh, hell yeah!

It will happen!

Does he deserve the HOF on numbers alone? I don't know...I think they're bubble numbers.

Does he deserve the HOF based on numbers & contributions to the sport? Absolutely.

Will he get into the HOF? Without question, you can bet your house on it. Though honestly, I think "when" will be a business decision. If the HOF is really struggling, he'll get in as soon as he's eligible. If the HOF is doing ok, holding steady, etc, I think they'll want to save his bullet. I definitely don't think it will be a unanimous first ballot lock like many are saying. I could see it taking a cycle or two, if for no other reason than discussing it (in other words, marketing, in other words, business decision).

Does he deserve the HOF on numbers alone? I don't know...I think they're bubble numbers.

Does he deserve the HOF based on numbers & contributions to the sport? Absolutely.

Will he get into the HOF? Without question, you can bet your house on it. Though honestly, I think "when" will be a business decision. If the HOF is really struggling, he'll get in as soon as he's eligible. If the HOF is doing ok, holding steady, etc, I think they'll want to save his bullet. I definitely don't think it will be a unanimous first ballot lock like many are saying. I could see it taking a cycle or two, if for no other reason than discussing it (in other words, marketing, in other words, business decision).

Good points. So far it appears that if you have won a championship the HOF will call your name but after that things could get murky. I believe players like OJ Simpson, Lawrence Taylor and Pete Rose have a rightful place in a HOF due to what they did while they played the game. In other words if you want to be in a HOF you better have the stats to back it up.

Yeah, based on his numbers alone it would be real close, but I think his multiple MPD's get him in. Dale Jr's numbers aren't much different than...say....Denny Hamlin (Hamlin's are actually a little better), but I'd say Jr has the much better chance between the two of getting into the HoF.

Yeah, based on his numbers alone it would be real close, but I think his multiple MPD's get him in. Dale Jr's numbers aren't much different than...say....Denny Hamlin (Hamlin's are actually a little better), but I'd say Jr has the much better chance between the two of getting into the HoF.

There are always exceptions but I would like to see retired drivers have to have earned 1 championship and/or 40 wins to be in the mix for HoF consideration. IMO the hall should be exclusive to the best of the best and when criteria such as popularity and demeanor are included it can lead to a very slippery slope to the point of having guys like Hamlin, Kahne, J Burton, Biffle, G Bodine, Ricky Rudd, Ernie Irvan and Davey Allison enshrined. I am not taking issue with any of the drivers mentioned but they are not in the same league as the greats, IMO.

Numbers alone I'd be on the fence. However when I visit a HOF and one day take my kids to that HOF, I want them to be able to learn and see from the dominant drivers of past eras. For the last 14 years, JR has been a prominent piece of NASCAR. He was won several big races, owned a team, been the face of the sport and dealt with the public death of his father who was an icon. I can't imagine in 15 years taking my kids to the HOF and Junior not being a member.

Reactions: Pat
NASCAR has to rethink its HOF.

They need a Hall of Champions, one for each of their Series. The Hall of "Fame" lacks integrity with all these useless discussions of what distinguishes one competitor from another, as it has devolved into a feel good opinion or vote that is only going to get worse once they catch up with their history.

This should be merit based with winning a Championship at the pinnacle. MPD and diversity and many other non-merit considerations need to be flushed from the system. Keep that crap in the Marketing Department and out of the HOF discussions.

Unfortunately, the Sports Pundit Industry is booming as useless debates take place across the nation in the Sports Infotainment Media Complex...

And yeah, Junior Nation -- that means Junior gets to be in the Hall of Champions.

The HOF is supposed to be reserved for the best of the best. If they allow one mediocre driver in then they will have to allow all of them in. I wouldn't pay to go see that garbage.

The first few HOF people in there was no doubt about. After a while the qualifications become less & less just so they can put in 5 more people every year. I don't think people should get in on their record in modifieds or Xfinity or whatever. There are a bunch of people with good records in those series that never made it in cup.

The first few HOF people in there was no doubt about. After a while the qualifications become less & less just so they can put in 5 more people every year. I don't think people should get in on their record in modifieds or Xfinity or whatever. There are a bunch of people with good records in those series that never made it in cup.

It's the NASCAR Hall of Fame, not the Cup Series Hall of Fame. Doesn't matter if they didn't made it in cup, If they were successful in a certain series, like Jack Ingram, they should have a chance at getting in

It's the NASCAR Hall of Fame, not the Cup Series Hall of Fame. Doesn't matter if they didn't made it in cup, If they were successful in a certain series, like Jack Ingram, they should have a chance at getting in
No, if they were that good they would have been good in cup. Baseball doesn't put people in the HOF because they were good in AAA.

No, if they were that good they would have been good in cup. Baseball doesn't put people in the HOF because they were good in AAA.
So Richie Evans and Jerry Cook, both many time modified champions, shouldn't be in because they weren't in cup? Yeah that makes so much sense :sarcasm:

He will get in because he will get the votes. His stats are decent but not epic.

Plus, there is no way the NASCAR HOF misses out on the opportunity to induct Dale Jr.

I think Allison and Irvan both deserve to get in at some point. Both were very large figures in the sport during their time and their list of accomplishments are quite numerous. Both names are entrenched in the history of the sport. If Tarrell Davis can get into the Pro Football HOF both of those guys deserve a spot in NASCAR's HOF imo. In the grand scheme of things, Irvan and Allison had more of an impact on NASCAR than Davis did on football.

Heck. He's still young.

He could be a livin' exhibit for a number of years to come.

NASCAR has to rethink its HOF.

They need a Hall of Champions, one for each of their Series. The Hall of "Fame" lacks integrity with all these useless discussions of what distinguishes one competitor from another, as it has devolved into a feel good opinion or vote that is only going to get worse once they catch up with their history.

This should be merit based with winning a Championship at the pinnacle. MPD and diversity and many other non-merit considerations need to be flushed from the system. Keep that crap in the Marketing Department and out of the HOF discussions.

Unfortunately, the Sports Pundit Industry is booming as useless debates take place across the nation in the Sports Infotainment Media Complex...

Maybe have a hall within a hall for the GOATS and the the rest of the hall for good ol boys, the popular, first Martian to start a cup race etc.

The HOF is supposed to be reserved for the best of the best. If they allow one mediocre driver in then they will have to allow all of them in. I wouldn't pay to go see that garbage.

There are already HoF drivers that are in because of skin color, being great in a junior series or sentiment.

I think Allison and Irvan both deserve to get in at some point. Both were very large figures in the sport during their time and their list of accomplishments are quite numerous. Both names are entrenched in the history of the sport. If Tarrell Davis can get into the Pro Football HOF both of those guys deserve a spot in NASCAR's HOF imo. In the grand scheme of things, Irvan and Allison had more of an impact on NASCAR than Davis did on football.

TD may not be HoF worthy but he did rush for over 2000 yards in a season which would be like winning 15 races plus he helped his team to 2 Super Bowls and has a 5.6 rushing yard avg plus 12 TD's and 1140 yards in 8 playoff games. Ernie Irvan and Davey Allison don't have comparable Nascar stats as neither of them won a champ or finished with 20 wins.

Isnt it called The NASCAR Hall of Fame? Its not the Monster Cup NASCAR Hall of fame? Then Jr. DOES have two championships. Nascar has said all along that people that contribute greatly to the sport would be considered. For that reason Jr. does deserve to be in the HoF.

Isnt it called The NASCAR Hall of Fame? Its not the Monster Cup NASCAR Hall of fame? Then Jr. DOES have two championships. Nascar has said all along that people that contribute greatly to the sport would be considered. For that reason Jr. does deserve to be in the HoF.

Yep and Waddell Wilson and Barry Dodson should be in too.

Other unique players and founders and broadcasters, etc can be in their own exhibits

Whooo Hooooo!

Ricky Stenhouse is going into the Hall of Fame!

Other unique players and founders and broadcasters, etc can be in their own exhibits

Whooo Hooooo!

Ricky Stenhouse is going into the Hall of Fame!

I think all the Green brothers should be in too.

Hall of Champions, as the main feature within Hall of Fame. Take the human bias out of the process by mechanically linking Champion to Recognition of that achievement in the Hall of Fame. Cup Champions would have full scale statues.

Turn to HOF balloting to determine those Extraordinary Contributions by individuals, organizations, etc -- for other inductees.

Temporary exhibits that touch on unique areas of focus and perspective.

Historical Wing to bring to life the inception and rise of NASCAR to the present.

GIFT SHOP -- where Junior and Danica gear will outsell all others...

Dale Jr goes in first ballot imo, 2nd ballot at the latest. Doesn't mean he is of the GOATs, not even a consideration imo, but definitely a future HoF member.

in, jr is famous in nascar,
its not the hall of champions.

Back
Top Bottom