Darlington Bonehead

I'd rather be dead than live like that.
You might get that choice. Of course I'm exaggerating my situation a bit. Took a bath couple days ago. I go where I need to go. But being single, no romantic connections, no pets, and retired Only time i go out is for groceries and to pay rent. I'll be shocked if 85 year old landlord doesn't get Covid. She regularly goes shopping and eats out in restaurants. Latest research says people that have contracted the virus are 2.5 times MORE likely to have dined out in a restaurant. Making smart choices isn't always about being a tough guy.

I work in two different buildings that have been open 24/7 every single day (minus holidays) since the pandemic began. There are anywhere from 30-100 people going in and out of those buildings every day, and while we don't go around breathing on each other, and we try to keep a distance when possible, but work goes on basically as usual. The shop office in our main facility has three people working in a 12' x 12' room all day with a constant parade of employees and customers in and out. In our front office, there are four and sometimes five people working in a room less than double that size. At our main facility, I have a private office, at our secondary facility I share an office with one other, and BOTH are a constant parade of people in and out. We do not, nor have we ever worn masks on the job, although you certainly can if you want to, and so far the ONLY person that has ANY connection to these facilities that has gotten the virus that we know of is my wife, and the evidence points to her getting it while a patient in the hospital on an unrelated issue.
Since my wife recovered and dine in eating was allowed back in Indiana (Late May) we are in restaurants at least twice per week, and we often have friends with us. In July a friend and I attended the Mecum Auto Auction in Indianapolis (granted not very many people there that day) and a couple of weeks ago three of us went to the Tri-State Gas Engine Show and Swap Meet, reportedly the nation's largest such event. Mecum required masks everywhere (except while eating) and the only place masks were required at Tri-State was in the enclosed buildings. Everybody has to do what the feel they have to do, but I have chosen to go on with life. Does that make me a fool? Who knows?

I work in two different buildings that have been open 24/7 every single day (minus holidays) since the pandemic began. There are anywhere from 30-100 people going in and out of those buildings every day, and while we don't go around breathing on each other, and we try to keep a distance when possible, but work goes on basically as usual. The shop office in our main facility has three people working in a 12' x 12' room all day with a constant parade of employees and customers in and out. In our front office, there are four and sometimes five people working in a room less than double that size. At our main facility, I have a private office, at our secondary facility I share an office with one other, and BOTH are a constant parade of people in and out. We do not, nor have we ever worn masks on the job, although you certainly can if you want to, and so far the ONLY person that has ANY connection to these facilities that has gotten the virus that we know of is my wife, and the evidence points to her getting it while a patient in the hospital on an unrelated issue.
Since my wife recovered and dine in eating was allowed back in Indiana (Late May) we are in restaurants at least twice per week, and we often have friends with us. In July a friend and I attended the Mecum Auto Auction in Indianapolis (granted not very many people there that day) and a couple of weeks ago three of us went to the Tri-State Gas Engine Show and Swap Meet, reportedly the nation's largest such event. Mecum required masks everywhere (except while eating) and the only place masks were required at Tri-State was in the enclosed buildings. Everybody has to do what the feel they have to do, but I have chosen to go on with life. Does that make me a fool? Who knows?
I know you use to be in the racing industry. Are you still in racing? I'm just curious.

I know you use to be in the racing industry. Are you still in racing? I'm just curious.

No, I was only a weekend warrior. I've always had a civilian job. I am the Parts Department manager for a trucking fleet. We have over 200 power units, 400+ trailers and we do maintenance on another 100+ customer owned vehicles. We have shop facilities on opposite sides of the same city, and I split time between the two facilities. Until recently, my Dad and I also had a small property maintenance business, doing work mostly for home owner's associations. I loved racing, but as you know it's not an easy life, and it's hard on your personal relationships. There is also a certain sense of security in a regular job with benefits. I have been with my current employer since 1986. I fell into the racing gig purely by chance, and when faced with the option of getting in all the way or getting out, I chose home, family and the steady paycheck.

You may get your wish if you don't take precautions.

There is a difference between taking precautions and hiding under the bed. You can still go out and live life safely with a few changes. I don't go to restaurants or bars, but I don't hide under the bed either. I have no problem going to the beach or out kayaking or hiking or having a bbq with friends that I know are taking precautions as well.

There are 6 billion people on earth and only a couple million have died do to Covid. Many of those who died were infected by people just like you. People who visited the elderly who lived in homes for the aged. Those people who died contacted the disease from people just like yourself.
YES I think you are a fool to insist you have the right to do as you please regardless if you kill someone else. You don't have systematic signs YET and by the time you find out you have it, how do you feel about the people you spread it to and they died?
You must be a Trump supporter.

There are 6 billion people on earth and only a couple million have died do to Covid. Many of those who died were infected by people just like you. People who visited the elderly who lived in homes for the aged. Those people who died contacted the disease from people just like yourself.
YES I think you are a fool to insist you have the right to do as you please regardless if you kill someone else. You don't have systematic signs YET and by the time you find out you have it, how do you feel about the people you spread it to and they died?
This hyperbolic post started off with either a lie or a statement made out of willful ignorance.

Less than a million humans worldwide have died either from COVID-19 or with COVID-19. “A couple million” is stupidly incorrect.

Speaking of boneheads.

This hyperbolic post started off with either a lie or a statement made out of willful ignorance.

Less than a million humans worldwide have died either from COVID-19 or with COVID-19. “A couple million” is stupidly incorrect.

Speaking of boneheads.
Even 500 thousand is way to many to indulge idiots of their right to spread the disease.

Where did you get your stats? Less than 1 million have died worldwide from covid so far. Stop making false and hysterical claims. Life will go on.

This. How did a nearly unanimous "MTJ made a dumbass move and won't own it" thread devolve into political wrangling over Covid? 'Murica today I guess...
My fault for answering a foolish post. I just never learn I guess. Done it 3 times already today.

Being in denial is the dangerous part of it all.

Some of us just don't have the luxury of putting our life under the red flag and hanging out in the coach until the rain passes. I know you wouldn't know it by watching the news, but for the majority of people in this country life just had to go on, risk or no risk. If I'm going to have to be out in the public 8-10 hours day doing what I HAVE to do, it doesn't make a lot of sense to go hide under a rug for the rest of the waking hours.

Some of us just don't have the luxury of putting our life under the red flag and hanging out in the coach until the rain passes. I know you wouldn't know it by watching the news, but for the majority of people in this country life just had to go on, risk or no risk. If I'm going to have to be out in the public 8-10 hours day doing what I HAVE to do, it doesn't make a lot of sense to go hide under a rug for the rest of the waking hours.
I sometimes assume people have a sense of humor and get exaggeration. But I guess some don't. To be clear, I wouldn't FIT under my bed if I tried. It's an expression. But "getting together with friends i trust" is how 90% of people GET sick. Going to weddings, church, bars, gatherings, etc is s HUGE risk FOR YOUR ELDERS! Do you like your mother, grandparents? Then stay away from them. Some of this is quite simple. Everything isn't about YOU. How about YOU do something that protects others. Do you not drive 80 thru school zones only because it's illegal? How is the complicated?

The number of people who have tested positive have never much concerned me. The number of people who get sick enough to be hospitalized is what concerns me, and that number in my neck of the woods has been flat or dropping for months.

If a Hospital can call it Covid-19 they automatically collect bank from the government. No matter what the patient really died of or had they will tack on Covid-19 to get the money.

Have folks died of Covid-19, sure they have, just like each year people die of the flu.

The statistics I saw said that those that have Covid listed as a cause of death had on average 2.6 other serious health conditions. there was also a famous case where a person was critically injured in a motorcycle accident. While in ICU he tested positive for Covid, so when he died, guess how the cause of death went down. I have also heard from multiple sources that if you test positive, in many cases each follow up test you have that are positive goes on the books as a new case.

I am with you, regarding going on with life. I have been traveling since mid May, going to race tracks, tourist destinations, remote mountains, etc. I might get 80 years of life if I am lucky and I am sure not going to give up any one of them because of the very remote possibility that I could die from the virus. I never wear a mask unless it is required or if someone asks me to put on one. What I don't get is I have seen people hiking trails in the woods/mountains wearing masks.

I sometimes assume people have a sense of humor and get exaggeration. But I guess some don't. To be clear, I wouldn't FIT under my bed if I tried. It's an expression. But "getting together with friends i trust" is how 90% of people GET sick. Going to weddings, church, bars, gatherings, etc is s HUGE risk FOR YOUR ELDERS! Do you like your mother, grandparents? Then stay away from them. Some of this is quite simple. Everything isn't about YOU. How about YOU do something that protects others. Do you not drive 80 thru school zones only because it's illegal? How is the complicated?
I would prefer that those focusing on this virus and everyone wearing a mask to protect others change their focus to smoking where according to the WHO EVERY year 8 million people die from smoking and over 600,000 deaths occur from second hand smoke. Fixing this is not nearly as complicated as the virus.

How are respiratory viruses spread? Answer shouldn't be much longer than the question unless you are deflecting. Like a mask deflects. Ironical.

Half the people I see that have to wear masks have it pulled down off their nose anyway, pretty much eliminating the effectiveness. I am resigned to be blind when I wear own because every time I exhale, my glasses fog over. If I had to wear one outside, i would probably get run down by a car. :)

Half the people I see that have to wear masks have it pulled down off their nose anyway, pretty much eliminating the effectiveness. I am resigned to be blind when I wear own because every time I exhale, my glasses fog over. If I had to wear one outside, i would probably get run down by a car. :)
So even the possibility wearing a mask might protect others is just too darn inconvenient for you? Seems about right.

No, you missed the point. I DO wear a mask where required, and I don't piss and moan about it either, I just accept it for it is if I want to go to that particular place. AND, unlike most of the employees and customers at the the places I visit, I wear it correctly, even though I can't see a damn thing the whole time.

No, you missed the point. I DO wear a mask where required, and I don't piss and moan about it either, I just accept it for it is if I want to go to that particular place. AND, unlike most of the employees and customers at the the places I visit, I wear it correctly, even though I can't see a damn thing the whole time.
Wearing a mask for a limited amount of time, avoiding close contact with others and washing your hands ALL seem like fairly easy things to do. I ask any others in his conversation...how are respiratory viruses primarily transmitted? I had pneumonia 4 years ago. Wasn't aware it is contagious. No idea where/how I picked it up. Was not hospitalized but did have to go to ER for treatment. It wasn't much fun. As for the mask fogging glasses, only time mine do is when I get out of my truck with AC blasting. Might try a different design of mask that doesn't leak air up toward your eyes?

Back
Top Bottom