Date this rod?

Magnethead

Admin & Resident Techie
Staff member
@Nitro Dude can you date this rod?

It's from a box that I haven't opened since 2014 (trying to clean up the house). I don't know when Bob and Tom would have been in the same place. I was thinking maybe the CHRR when it came around to Noble, Oklahoma many many years ago (2000ish?), but I thought it was all altereds, I don't remember there being any funny cars. I don't think it's from when I saw ya'll at the Pomona world finals a handful of years ago, but that's a possibility. That was world finals 2013, right before we moved. Was Tom there for that race?

53037984_10158263470144606_8824810088377090048_n (1).jpg

52820265_10158263470079606_7703073112945852416_n.jpg

Last edited:
@Nitro Dude can you date this rod?

It's from a box that I haven't opened since 2014 (trying to clean up the house). I don't know when Bob and Tom would have been in the same place. I was thinking maybe the CHRR when it came around to Noble, Oklahoma many many years ago (2000ish?), but I thought it was all altereds, I don't remember there being any funny cars. I don't think it's from when I saw ya'll at the Pomona world finals a handful of years ago, but that's a possibility. That was world finals 2013, right before we moved. Was Tom there for that race?

View attachment 39807
View attachment 39808

I can see that the rod out of Bodes engine was put into service on 7/04/2013 and it has 12 runs on it and the video of us warming up was at the World Finals in Pomona Ca in 2013. My guess is that you got that rod at the Finals in 2013. Tom has a house in Minnesota and Florida so he usually comes to Brainerd, Gainesville, Indy, and sometimes Pomona.

I can see that the rod out of Bodes engine was put into service on 7/04/2013 and it has 12 runs on it and the video of us warming up was at the World Finals in Pomona Ca in 2013. My guess is that you got that rod at the Finals in 2013. Tom has a house in Minnesota and Florida so he usually comes to Brainerd, Gainesville, Indy, and sometimes Pomona.

I would NOT have even thought to decode a date from that scribe. I showed it to Hale and he explained the dimples to me.

One run per dimple? I'm loving this thread..

"Hey nitro, remind me where I acquired this rod" lmao.

One run per dimple? I'm loving this thread..

Yes they put a dimple for each run. They keep track of how many runs are on just about every moving part... rods, crank shaft and hub bolt, input shaft and coupler, tires, rear end, blower belt, mags and coils, rockers, push rods and shafts, valves and valve springs, headers, cannon and reverser, even the motor plate has to be checked to make sure it doesn't warp.:)

Hey, some old people don't have good memory. I do pretty well to know what I had for dinner last night. My body might be 30, but it and my brain both feel double that.

Yes they put a dimple for each run. They keep track of how many runs are on just about every moving part... rods, crank shaft and hub bolt, input shaft and coupler, tires, rear end, blower belt, mags and coils, rockers, push rods and shafts, valves and valve springs, headers, cannon and reverser, even the motor plate has to be checked to make sure it doesn't warp.:)

We've cracked a couple of motor plates. Luckily caught it before they made it all the way across the webbing.

Hey, some old people don't have good memory. I do pretty well to know what I had for dinner last night. My body might be 30, but it and my brain both feel double that.

We've cracked a couple of motor plates. Luckily caught it before they made it all the way across the webbing.
A warped motor plate can blacken a rear main on 1 run.

A warped motor plate can blacken a rear main on 1 run.
Wow. By pulling the crank backwards into the bellhousing? I would think the bolts through the bell and plate into the block would keep the plate straight...

Wow. By pulling the crank backwards into the bellhousing? I would think the bolts through the bell and plate into the block would keep the plate straight...
The fly wheel has wear plugs that will rub against the motor plate to try and keep it from hurting the crank. But if the fly wheel gets bent or they wear to much on one side then it can flex to much and blacken the rear main journal.

Back
Top Bottom