Daytona Coke Zero Sugar 400 Pre-Race thread

Week Zero for my Warriors so I’m gonna DVR the race. Seems Spectrum Hawaii has the inside scoop on a new driver <sarcasm>
FBF33097-4F39-411E-880B-ECBD0B7CD15A.jpeg

Bubba is a big NASCAR fan. He owns a General Lee, and Denny has caddied for him at the Augusta par-3 practice round before the big tournament. I'll bet Denny still has that white overall the caddies wear.

Early but looks like rain Saturday AM through Sunday afternoon. I'd love a Sunday day-night Daytona race. Especially now that it seems handling matters a lot more at the superspeedways with this new car

It is difficult being a supporter. Ryan Newman left Cup. Norm is out of trucks apparently. Matt crafton is having a midfling year. Nut there is one hero left to root for.

Dave Ragan. No. 15
Go Dave.

Goodyear Fast Facts — Daytona​

AUGUST 24, 2022 AT 10:06 AM

NASCAR Cup Series — Race No. 26 – 160 laps / 400 miles
Daytona International Speedway (2.5-mile oval) – Daytona Beach, Fla.
Fast Facts for August 26-27, 2022

Tire: Goodyear Eagle 18-inch Superspeedway Radials
Set limits: Cup: 1 set for qualifying and 7 sets for the race (6 race sets plus qualifying set)
Tire Codes: Left-side — D-5142; Right-side — D-5116
Tire Circumference: Left-side — 2,274 mm (89.53 in.); Right-side — 2,280 mm (89.76 in.)
Minimum Recommended Inflation: Left Front — 28 psi; Left Rear — 28 psi; Right Front — 52 psi; Right Rear — 50 psi

Storyline – Tire strategy in play as Cup teams angle for race win, last playoff spot: Daytona International Speedway produces slightly more of a handling race than Talladega Superspeedway, but Goodyear’s tire set-up that is run at both tracks will give teams the chance for some strategic tire decisions. While there will be a little tire wear at Daytona this weekend, teams will be able to mix in four-tire, two-tire and fuel only pit stops during the course of the 160-lap, 400-mile race. One other factor that will play in that strategy will be how teams and manufacturers work together to gain or keep track position as they look for maximum speed inside the racing pack.

“Tire strategy has always been a part of racing at Daytona,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing. “Multi-car teams, as well as teams from the same manufacturer, often try to align themselves coming off pit road so they can work together on the track, stay lined up and work their way to the front of the pack. Teams will have the opportunity to save time on pit road by taking two tires or even fuel only depending on the stint or how they are trying to line up with others they are working with. All that provides for many opportunities to mix up the field and produce exciting racing for the fans.”

Notes – Cup on established superspeedway tire set-up this week: Moving to the 18-inch bead diameter tire for the 2022 season, NASCAR Cup teams will run a different tire set-up than those in the Xfinity Series at Daytona this week . . . this is the same combination of left- and right-side tires Cup teams ran at Daytona in February . . . they also ran this tire set-up at Talladega in April . . . with this 18-inch bead diameter tire, and its lower profile sidewall, NASCAR Cup cars will not run inner liners in any of their tires in 2022.

Wonder what the over/under is for a wreck in the last 5 laps. The race is exciting to watch, but I really dislike the carnage that always occurs at the end. If they make the final 10 laps under green I will go for a 10 race rating.

Wonder what the over/under is for a wreck in the last 5 laps. The race is exciting to watch, but I really dislike the carnage that always occurs at the end. If they make the final 10 laps under green I will go for a 10 race rating.

Agreed.

Usually by the end of those races I don't even care who wins, I just want it to be over

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

So doesn't Truex still get bumped if say a Bubba Wallace were to win? That's gonna be a tough dynamic with JGR/23XI working together in the race.

So doesn't Truex still get bumped if say a Bubba Wallace were to win? That's gonna be a tough dynamic with JGR/23XI working together in the race.
No more or less than Penske and the other Fords working to get Blaney or another Ford driver in.

Actually, probably less since A) they're outnumbered, and B ) Yoyos haven't shown the overall team discipline that the Fords have.

Dang, that's a shame. I hope Kurt will at least be back for 2023. I think NASCAR should take a look at the safety features of the NextGen, that hit at Pocono did not look like a crash that puts someone on the sidelines for months
It's multiple hits that add up, and Kurt's at Pocono was 2 hits with each end of the car.

I have a 9 hour drive tomorrow to make the race. Think its gonna rain? Everything is screaming at me to not waste the entire day driving only to have to turn around lol

I am sad to share that it will rain tomorrow night and the race will be delayed/postponed and moved to the USA network. I am certain of that, because in a rare situation we are camped where we get the local NBC channel over the air, it is scheduled for the evening and I would get a chance to see it.

I have a 9 hour drive tomorrow to make the race. Think its gonna rain? Everything is screaming at me to not waste the entire day driving only to have to turn around lol

If you're driving 9 hours, I'm assuming you have plans to stay the night somewhere near the track after the race, correct? If it rains, just stay in town and go watch the race on Sunday

That is a tough situation. Having lived in the Daytona area for 25+ years I wouldn't make that drive unless I would be able to stay there through Monday before heading home on Tuesday. Maybe you can opt for the 500 weekend in February instead?

If you're driving 9 hours, I'm assuming you have plans to stay the night somewhere near the track after the race, correct? If it rains, just stay in town and go watch the race on Sunday
I didnt have plans to stay, some other people are coming with me to help with the drive. I just would hate to get there and it rain out. Cause I cant stay Sunday night I work at 5am Monday morning and I wouldnt even get back in time for work lol

I didnt have plans to stay, some other people are coming with me to help with the drive. I just would hate to get there and it rain out. Cause I cant stay Sunday night I work at 5am Monday morning and I wouldnt even get back in time for work lol

Man, that's tough.

I don't know how some of you guys do it, but props to you if you can pull it off. I went to the Brickyard 400 one year which is only a three hour drive from home, and I still elected to stay in a hotel that night and took the next day off work. If I'm going to a race, I'm leaving zero chance of the weather spoiling my weekend. Also, the thought of a long drive home immediately after a race just seems like such a buzzkill.

Hope the guys on the Air Titan/Track drying crew got some extra podcasts loaded up on their phone and a a few guys snuck in some cases of beer....

At 7pm NOAA has a 70% chance of rain tonight, and an 80% chance of rain Saturday night. Google has a 51% chance and a 58% chance. Day rain chances aren't that great either. I think they sneak the X race in Saturday AM and then the Cup race Sunday night. But they could very well get pushed to both running on Sunday or the dreaded M-day...

Back
Top Bottom