Daytona RACE thread --- Duel 1 & 2

The leader coming out of turn 4 is almost always at a disadvantage. Bubba could have made it worse if he did try to block. I think there would be a wreck if that happened. Dillion wasn't lifting.

How bout post something good about the race instead of posting negative things people are saying about Bubba which I can't seem to find in here.
I posted good things all race long, sir. I was simply stating what I'm not looking forward to elsewhere from now until Sunday. You're coming at the wrong guy here lol.

I don’t want to be that guy but... 23 and 18 went below yellow line. 19 forced them down?
I was actually going to post similar. Looking at replay, Kyle was borderline but I don't think he crossed it. Bubba definitely did. I was wondering if I was alone in noticing this.

I'll bet he drives 55 in the left lane on the highway too. I never thought him to be much of a driver when he was young. He shouldn't be out there now.
yeah Buddy. Some of them start slow and continue to get slower. I think they should dress him up like a pace car, he would be easier to see with some lights on him.

I don’t get the hate Smithley is receiving. He has to beat Noah to get in and he tried to make a pass rather than playing follow the leader. Then Brad went for the space that was already occupied.

As for Cope, NASCAR should have thrown the yellow, got him off the track and lined everyone up for another restart. Cope lost power before the GWC and was sitting on the track for an entire lap. Race control needs to make a better decision there to uphold driver safety.

I don’t get the hate Smithley is receiving. He has to beat Noah to get in and he tried to make a pass rather than playing follow the leader. Then Brad went for the space that was already occupied.

As for Cope, NASCAR should have thrown the yellow, got him off the track and lined everyone up for another restart. Cope lost power before the GWC and was sitting on the track for an entire lap. Race control needs to make a better decision there to uphold driver safety.
So Brad’s fault? Who makes it 3 wide by going into the sucker lane that far back? I get the kid was trying but not a smart move and now a potential contender goes to a backup probably.

So Brad’s fault? Who makes it 3 wide by going into the sucker lane that far back? I get the kid was trying but not a smart move and now a potential contender goes to a backup probably.
Hard to really put fault on anyone there, two drivers going for the same space. Happens all the time at these tracks.

Both of these drivers are contenders. Keselowski has a better funded team and has a history of performing well at superspeedways but that doesn't entitle him to anything. Brad was trying to earn a better starting position and Smithley was trying to earn a starting spot. I don’t fault Smithley at all for trying to make a pass. They are racing.

If the #2 team is so worried about damaging their primary car, they should have stayed at the back to avoid any trouble.

Thank god derrike cope is guaranteed a place in the field Sunday! Great look for the sport for a 70 year old to almost lepage the field on the final lap of duel 2, while Ty Dillon wheels a car to 6th and misses it.

I don’t wanna beat this topic to death, so this is the last I will comment on it. NASCAR needs to tighten the shot group on this charter nonsense. This is the top level of stock car racing. It’s insulting to send faster teams home so ****boxes like the 15 and 52 can ride around 10 mph off the pace and cause a massive pileup.

Rick Ware Racing has made no attempt to keep up with the field in 4 years of Cup racing. Yet they are guaranteed spots in the Daytona 500 over a car like Ty Dillon’s that ran up front and finished 6th. I’m not sure what message that is sending to potential sponsors or new manufacturers. But it can’t be a positive one.

It’s time to actually enforce a performance clause. Either make your cars faster or lose the charter. And no leasing or passing charters around from car to car to circumvent finishing in the bottom 5 of owner points.

Derrick Cope has no business being on track on Sunday. It’s a bad look for the series.

NASCAR has the option to step in on Rick Ware if the 51 does not improve in performance this season. The 51 for the last two years has been the last placed charter out of the 36 in the field.

NASCAR can step in, but will they? The other members of the RTA should speak up about it as well. I was against the charter system at first, but it makes sense finacially for teams. Its not all perfect though, I have a feeling the charter will stay with them until some one opens their checkbook.

Nothing is perfect and honestly the only complaint is the fact that Ware has three charters. Spire is showing progress, so I'd say the charter system is doing well for the most part.

Well, Marty Gaunt has had an open team for four years as well.:unsure:

Can we be mad at him for not having enough money to buy a charter? It's not as easy as it seems, I hope him along with JTG buying a second charter for the 37 would be cool to see.

I only watched extended highlights but its not even the start of the season and I've realized why I lost interest in this sport so much. Shame for the ty Dillon crew and im far from a Dillon bros fan.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hard to really put fault on anyone there, two drivers going for the same space. Happens all the time at these tracks.

Both of these drivers are contenders. Keselowski has a better funded team and has a history of performing well at superspeedways but that doesn't entitle him to anything. Brad was trying to earn a better starting position and Smithley was trying to earn a starting spot. I don’t fault Smithley at all for trying to make a pass. They are racing.

If the #2 team is so worried about damaging their primary car, they should have stayed at the back to avoid any trouble.
Yes, it does happen but to try to go three wide into the middle where there really isn’t a lane isn’t very bright. And why are you asking if the 2 team was worried? Who isn’t? But it sucks to go to a backup because of stupidity....especially someone else’s.
But it happened and I’m sure the 2 will have something on Sunday...or Monday.

Ty Dillon's chances of actually winning the 500 are greater than the Cope/Rick Ware's combined, I'm prepared to make the sacrifice.

I don’t wanna beat this topic to death, so this is the last I will comment on it. NASCAR needs to tighten the shot group on this charter nonsense. This is the top level of stock car racing. It’s insulting to send faster teams home so ****boxes like the 15 and 52 can ride around 10 mph off the pace and cause a massive pileup.

Rick Ware Racing has made no attempt to keep up with the field in 4 years of Cup racing. Yet they are guaranteed spots in the Daytona 500 over a car like Ty Dillon’s that ran up front and finished 6th. I’m not sure what message that is sending to potential sponsors or new manufacturers. But it can’t be a positive one.

It’s time to actually enforce a performance clause. Either make your cars faster or lose the charter. And no leasing or passing charters around from car to car to circumvent finishing in the bottom 5 of owner points.

Derrick Cope has no business being on track on Sunday. It’s a bad look for the series.
Or we could just go back to when a driver missed the race so they bought someone else's ride.

Yes, it does happen but to try to go three wide into the middle where there really isn’t a lane isn’t very bright.
If everyone followed that logic, they would run single file the entire race. Smithley got a run made a move to overtake. The backstretch is the widest section of the track, he had plenty of room until Brad squeezed into him.

If everyone followed that logic, they would run single file the entire race. Smithley got a run made a move to overtake. The backstretch is the widest section of the track, he had plenty of room until Brad squeezed into him.

He's never overtaking Gragson there, he could get runs all day long being last in line on top side, doesn't make it a good move, especially not sticking it into the middle 3 wide with no help. Big reason why BK would not think he's there in the first place.

He's never overtaking Gragson there, he could get runs all day long being last in line on top side, doesn't make it a good move, especially not sticking it into the middle 3 wide with no help. Big reason why BK would not think he's there in the first place.
Yea, because Brads spotter is blind and mute...

I’m gonna correct this quote because I was going off memory. They werent on the back stretch, they were at the front of the trioval heading into turn 1. Even so, there is more than enough room to go 3 wide and Smithley had several cars behind him who could have easily followed up the middle to create a third lane.

There were 4 laps to go and Smithley needed to finish ahead of Gragson to transfer. He gave the effort and Brad either moved up without being cleared by his spotter or thought he could make it or block the run.

He spent some laps on pit road then went back out.

Seemed to run as well as it had early in the race.
They still haven't decided if there is an engine problem yet. They are going to run some laps in practice and then make a decision if the engine needs changed. It would suck but I don't think an engine change would be catastrophic because Bowman has had trouble on pit stops that have put him pretty far back and he has came back to the front and lead laps.
Hendrick hesitant to change Bowman's engine before 500 (yahoo.com)

They still haven't decided if there is an engine problem yet. They are going to run some laps in practice and then make a decision if the engine needs changed. It would suck but I don't think an engine change would be catastrophic because Bowman has had trouble on pit stops that have put him pretty far back and he has came back to the front and lead laps.
Hendrick hesitant to change Bowman's engine before 500 (yahoo.com)
If they have backup engines that are built/tuned exactly the same, I’d imagine changing the engine wouldn’t be beneficial anyway.

If they have backup engines that are built/tuned exactly the same, I’d imagine changing the engine wouldn’t be beneficial anyway.
I agree and I don't think they will change engines if they don't see a problem with the one in the car. But, if they decide there is definitely something wrong then it would probably be beneficial to make the change and go to the rear of the field.

Back
Top Bottom