Daytona RACE thread

Just wanna point out that it’s been clear and sunny at the track for over an hour now :p

Just wanna point out that it’s been clear and sunny at the track for over an hour now :p

It's still raining all around Daytona. I got the impression they didn't want to risk drying it again only to lose the track as soon as they got it ready. Most of the field was out of the race and the fans had already been there a day longer than they expected. I would have loved to see it finish tonight or delayed until tomorrow but I'm not sure people would have showed up for the third day in a row just to watch 30 more laps.

It's still raining all around Daytona. I got the impression they didn't want to risk drying it again only to lose the track as soon as they got it ready. Most of the field was out of the race and the fans had already been there a day longer than they expected. I would have loved to see it finish tonight or delayed until tomorrow but I'm not sure people would have showed up for the third day in a row just to watch 30 more laps.
Boxed into a corner call, makes sense.

Boxed into a corner call, makes sense.

Yea, it's a hard call to make for sure. When the jet dryer got taken out they spent hours attempting to get the finish in and the fans that attended were pretty burnt out by the time they did. I can't remember how late it was but IIRC it was 1 or 2am before most of them went home.

Yea, it's a hard call to make for sure. When the jet dryer got taken out they spent hours attempting to get the finish in and the fans that attended were pretty burnt out by the time they did. I can't remember how late it was but IIRC it was 1 or 2am before most of them went home.
I was up :D

Race for the top 16 cut off is pretty close, Boyer, Newman and Suarez 3 point separation

upload_2019-7-7_20-22-54.png

I still don't think it's as shocking as Greg Sacks win in 1985. He was using a R&D car and he really didn't have a true pit crew. All his stops were considerably longer than everyone else...

It was a Gary Nelson cheated up special car.

Austin Dillon royally screwed up.

And Kurt Busch got royally screwed.

Ty Dillons interview during the red flag was actually pretty good.

When I was a youth (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth), when a result like this came about, we used to yell "CHEAP!"
We were mature for our age.

Race for the top 16 cut off is pretty close, Boyer, Newman and Suarez 3 point separation

View attachment 40848

Haley can't make the playoffs (win and you're not in!), but if the #77 can improve their owner points, they can get in the top 30 and make top 16, leading to a split between the drivers and owners. The issue is this team has been the backmarker of backmarkers due to putting anyone in the car that has a check. Even after the win, they're 34th, 86 points behind the Front Row #38. They're not too far away from 32nd, but for purposes of the top 16, that doesn't matter.

I'm at work so I haven't been able to stay up to date very well.

Why would Haley no deserve this? I was at Pocono in 2016 when Chris Buescher won under similar circumstances. IMO, Haley avoided the big one while all the leaders where too busy wrecking each other. Played his cars right and it might pay off in the victory. Daytona you need a lot of luck to win. He seems he like played his cards better than everyone given the known wrecks that will happen and the impending weather.

Buescher was at least in the lead under green flag conditions.

When it comes to the sport I have a "thieves ain't honest and neither are race car drivers, you take what you get when you can" mentality. Part of the sport is you get undeserved wins and lose when you deserve to win. Good for Haley and Spire, although there are other backmarker teams I'd rather win than a vulture investment fund. Go FAS for example, although this is again everything wrong with Daytona and Talladega as race tracks.

Why can't Race fans just enjoy the moment Lady Luck hands a win to a newbie?

These survivor style races under inclement weather are a part of NASCAR. Kurt isn't a victim -- he and his Team were opportunists, it just didn't work out for them. Team Kurt was getting ready to run down Justin and every other competitor by pitting to make that car better for the remaining push to the unknown finish.

Justin Haley is the official winner -- no waiver required. The racing gods and Lady Luck smiled upon him. His DQ technical violation in avoiding sketchy CUPper (KyLar) nonsense at the Xfinity race last year was a load of crap, but so be it. You lose by the rules, you win by the rules -- that's how racing is supposed to work.

If you hate a nonCupper winning a race under the rules in Cup -- then you should also hate CUPpers interfering in Xfinity and Truck competition, especially when CUPpers bring top-level resources against the field.

Congrats Justin! There's your good luck -- make the most of it.

Last edited:

These survivor style races under inclement weather are a part of NASCAR. Kurt isn't a victim -- he and his Team were opportunists, it just didn't work out for them. Team Kurt was getting ready to run down Justin and every other competitor by pitting to make that car better for the remaining push to the unknown finish.

Justin Haley is the official winner -- no waiver required. The racing gods and Lady Luck smiled upon him. His DQ technical violation in avoiding sketchy CUPper (KyLar) nonsense at the Xfinity race last year was a load of crap, but so be it. You lose by the rules, you win by the rules -- that's how racing is supposed to work.

If you hate a nonCupper winning a race under the rules in Cup -- then you should also hate CUPpers interfering in Xfinity and Truck competition, especially when CUPpers bring top-level resources against the field.

While this was probably the flukiest win in Cup history, I don’t take anything away from these guys for winning. The record books will always state that Justin Haley won the July 2019 Daytona Cup race, and that’s all that matters. Hopefully he’ll enjoy this to the fullest and tune out the people trying to sh!t on this win.

While it's not my favorite outcome by any means, it was nice to see Justin Haley get redemption for that fluky loss. The rule outlawing the use of going below the yellow line (especially when forced below it) is one of my least favorite rules in NASCAR.

Yeah, I still am pretty fired up about this. Having a hard time being happy for this kid, which isnt particularly in my nature.

I just don't see why NASCAR couldn't finish it into the night. He ran out back all day, 27th before the wreck... It wasn't a race he won. It just doesn't seem like he "won" the race.

These kind of finishes should be avoided at all costs , and that's the thing, I don't feel like all efforts were made. Glad I wasn't there.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

This was mentioned elsewhere and I'm repeating it. There was no competition caution Sunday after the whole weekend was a washout.

Back
Top Bottom