DAYTONA Road Course - Go Bowling 235

Might be a good chance for cup cars to run their first race ever on rain tires.

Ryan Newman says “there are so many unknowns that it would be fabricating for me to tell you if I knew what the biggest unknown was.”
But with all the uncertainties heading into the race (3 p.m. ET on NBC) on a new course for Cup teams — and no practice — Newman is counting on one near certainty.
“I hope it rains,” he said. “I hope you add in the extra that we have to bolt on rain tires and we get something that is just spectacular. I hope that. The reality is that could be the biggest unknown that we have. We’re in Central Florida in the middle of August when it pretty much rains every day. We’ll see. I don’t know. I look forward to it.”

Kevin Harvick, who swept the Cup races at Michigan last weekend, will lead the field into Turn 1 and he’s not sure what to expect.
“I think me leading everybody into Turn 1 at Daytona could be interesting because I have no freaking clue where I’m going as we go down there,” he said. “Most everybody in the field is the same way.”

Here are Cup drivers entered for Sunday’s race who have competed on the Daytona road course (overall finish)

Clint Bowyer 2013 Rolex 24 (finished 16th)
Kurt Busch 2005 Rolex 24 (27th), 2008 Rolex 24 (3rd)
Kyle Busch2009 Brumos Porsche 250 (10th), 2020 Rolex 24 (26th),
Cole Custer2018 IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge (3rd), 2019 IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge (9th)
James Davison 2014 Rolex 24 (48th), 2015 Rolex 24 (29th), 2016 Rolex 24 (44th),
Kevin Harvick 2002 Rolex 24 (69th)
Timmy Hill2012 Rolex 24 (51st)
Jimmie Johnson2004 Rolex 24 (28th), 2005 Rolex 24 (2nd), 2007 Rolex 24 (36th), 2008 Rolex 24 (2nd), 2009 Rolex 24 (7th), 2010 Rolex 24 (21st), 2011 Rolex 24 (15th)
Matt Kenseth2005 Rolex 24 (27th), 2006 IROC race (10th)
Michael McDowell2005 Rolex 24 (42nd), 2007 Rolex 24 (10th), 2008 Rolex 24 (15th), 2011 Rolex 24 (7th), 2012 Rolex 24 (3rd)
Ryan Newman 2006 IROC race (3rd)
Martin Truex Jr. 2006 IROC race (6th)

If I were in charge, I’d allow for the drivers to space out single file before pace laps and run 1 lap at pace speed and 1 lap at 50%, 75% and 100%. Then run normal pace laps and go green.

If I were in charge, I’d allow for the drivers to space out single file before pace laps and run 1 lap at pace speed and 1 lap at 50%, 75% and 100%. Then run normal pace laps and go green.
How do you know what a 100% lap is until you run several laps to know your braking points, what gear you want to running where and what line produces the most speed for your car?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

How do you know what a 100% lap is until you run several laps to know your braking points, what gear you want to running where and what line produces the most speed for your car?

They dont, but it atleast gives the drivers an idea of how to run the track before bunching them up into turn 1.

They dont, but it atleast gives the drivers an idea of how to run the track before bunching them up into turn 1.
What if they wreck a half dozen cars on this supposed 100% practice lap? They don't have backup cars so they just don't race?

The reason that they don't want any practice or hot laps is because they don't want backup cars at the track.

New #48 scheme for DRC.

48C20-Ally-White0001.png

I kinda want rain but on the other hand, I don't want a disaster out there. And if it's not a disaster it'll be cars crawling around the track cause when it rains in Daytona, it rains. It won't be some drizzle they can race in, they'll probably lose the track like they did at the Rolex a couple years ago.

Daytona International Speedway
3m ·
Weather Alert: Thunderstorms are forecast for the Daytona International Speedway area including lightning. We advise you to secure items at campsites. Please take necessary precautions.

Wish him and the family well. Health and age are on his side. Will be interesting to see if any other sport members are included in the contact tracing. Hopefully not.

21 year old Kaz with a chance to shine. Let’s go.
Kaz is a solid road racer, too.

Did a wonderful job with Fury Racing short stint in Xfinity and honestly like many other young drivers lack funding for a full-season of racing, I hope he does a great job because he's not short of talent.

I hope Austin Dillon, his wife, children, family members, team-mates and everyone else he’s had close contact with get through this undamaged.

Is there an efficient contract tracing program operating in North Carolina?

its weird to me they're not in Bristol this weekend, in fact a year ago today I was driving the 10 hours from Chicagoland area to Johnson City TN ( where we stayed. it was fun time in that town, East Tennessee St University was moving back in for their school year so we went a few bars downtown and we were still able to hang with the college kids for a bit, mid 30's my wife and I we held our own in the beverage department ha ha ), Ive always associated with the Bristol night racing weekend as the end of summer and beginning of school since as I was in grammar school, like a last weekend of freedom. However these feelings of "schedule tradition sickness" will go away if we get our first Cup Road race in the rain. Very fast I might add.

Let me know when Christmas is re-scheduled. I’ve always associated it with late December.

I prefer not to repeat myself. In this case, it seems necessary to point out that we are beyond fortunate to be fans of a sport that has been presenting a reasonable facsimile of its full schedule. A couple more positive Covid test results could put the brakes on that if there’s any community spread inside the porous “bubble” they’ve set up.

Kaz is a solid road racer, too.

Did a wonderful job with Fury Racing short stint in Xfinity and honestly like many other young drivers lack funding for a full-season of racing, I hope he does a great job because he's not short of talent.
Has Daytona experience too which had to have been convenient.

Back
Top Bottom