Deegan update

She'll be in Cup eventually because of that alone, all she has to do is flash the occasional good result to stay around. Popularity trumps progression.

Or let NASCAR and the media redefine what a good result is and keep making up new statistical categories to prop her up.

"Best finish by a female in the Truck Series outside of Daytona or Talladega" was the most laughable stat I ever heard. Especially since they then presented that stat as if it's the best finish for a female in NASCAR ever.

Or let NASCAR and the media redefine what a good result is and keep making up new statistical categories to prop her up.

"Best finish by a female in the Truck Series outside of Daytona or Talladega" was the most laughable stat I ever heard. Especially since they then presented that stat as if it's the best finish for a female in NASCAR ever.
At least get the quote right . You're making a fool out of yourself

At least get the quote right . You're making a fool out of yourself

I was referring to her top-10 finish last year and how a new stat was made up.

You yourself even said it was the best finish by a female in NASCAR history ... which was demonstrably false as Danica had a sixth-place finish in Cup and a fourth-place finish in Xfinity – both higher than Hailie's P7 at St. Louis in 2021.

Her Rookie season her average starting position was 18, this year its 21.5

Her Rookie season her average finish was 20.9, this year its 23.8

She has 1 top 10 in 36 races, 0 top 5's. 0 wins

Out of her 4516 laps run, she has led 0 laps

Change the name and you more than likely are looking at an unemployed driver.

Her Rookie season her average starting position was 18, this year its 21.5

Her Rookie season her average finish was 20.9, this year its 23.8

She has 1 top 10 in 36 races, 0 top 5's. 0 wins

Out of her 4516 laps run, she has led 0 laps

Change the name and you more than likely are looking at an unemployed driver.

Yeah, those stats might be OK for someone running for Young's Motorsports or whatever, but DGR has proven to have capable equipment

Yeah, those stats might be OK for someone running for Young's Motorsports or whatever, but DGR has proven to have capable equipment
Tbh while I don't ever see her as cup material, I could eventually her in an “Xfinity lifer” role. There's nothing wrong with that - see Allgaier, just for example.
The only issue there that I could see would be with her willingness to drive for Carl Long or Mike Harmon for 10-15 years. :XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk:

Tbh while I don't ever see her as cup material, I could eventually her in an “Xfinity lifer” role. There's nothing wrong with that - see Allgaier, just for example.
The only issue there that I could see would be with her willingness to drive for Carl Long or Mike Harmon for 10-15 years. :XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk:
So your comparing her to Allgaier? Do you think she would be winning races and contending for wins every week if she was driving for JR? I don't.

So your comparing her to Allgaier? Do you think she would be winning races and contending for wins every week if she was driving for JR? I don't.
If I've learned anything from watching nascar is that some drivers have it and some don't. However there is some drivers that don't appear to have it until they get in right situation. Examples: Joey at JGR and Suarez at both JGR and SHR. Would be nice to see her in the Xfintiy series with another to team to really gauge her talent

If I've learned anything from watching nascar is that some drivers have it and some don't. However there is some drivers that don't appear to have it until they get in right situation. Examples: Joey at JGR and Suarez at both JGR and SHR. Would be nice to see her in the Xfintiy series with another to team to really gauge her talent
Joey won in cup with Gibbs, Suarez won a Xfinity championship. It's not like she is running in a garbage truck right now. I don't need to gauge her talent. Her talent is no better than Danica's was. She can barely get a top 20s in trucks (driving a good truck), in cup she would be a top 30 driver.

Joey won in cup with Gibbs, Suarez won a Xfinity championship. It's not like she is running in a garbage truck right now. I don't need to gauge her talent. Her talent is no better than Danica's was. She can barely get a top 20s in trucks (driving a good truck), in cup she would be a top 30 driver.
Joey's 1st win was in a I believe a rain shortened race? And Suarez won an Xfinty championship in equipment that was far superior to anything else on the track at the time. JJ had one Xfinity win before you know those 7 cup titles. You need the right situation to see what a driver is capable of. Judging her by her experience with one team is kind of premature. I don't follow her close enough has there even been many personnel changes on that team in the 1.5 seasons?

Joey's 1st win was in a I believe a rain shortened race? And Suarez won an Xfinty championship in equipment that was far superior to anything else on the track at the time. JJ had one Xfinity win before you know those 7 cup titles. You need the right situation to see what a driver is capable of. Judging her by her experience with one team is kind of premature. I don't follow her close enough has there even been many personnel changes on that team in the 1.5 seasons?
Jimmie also had 4 top 5s and 16 top 10s in a crappy underfunded Xfinity car before going to cup. She hasn't done anything in a more than decent truck with plenty of funding. I don't think judging her at this point is premature.

99.9% of the universe agrees with you Hailie.
Its time to return some favors or they will always
dump you every chance they get.

You are like the kid that always got picked on in
middle school, till you hit the bully in the face as
hard as you can. It will change things quickly and I just
bet you will find a little more give and take . Its
worked for centuries.

Just would like to see one solid error free race where something outside of her and her teams control doesn't happen.
I think she needs a change. Not sure what? Someone new on the box? Different spotter? Almost seems like she needs some more coaching to be aggressive or something. Just think they need a change there

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

i think her crew is 100% behind her and she has the best spotter in nascar. i just needs more laps and less dumbasses taking her
out. she is holding up good with all the bad luck and bs.and she is still beating half the field. glass have full right?;)

Also I think she just needs more laps period. Should be running whatever she can get behind the wheel of. Haven't heard of her doing anything like late models or anything in a long time? Last thing I heard was SRX last year

I'm not sure if she's capable of being a top 10 driver but I also think they've done a poor job of building her talent. She doesn't have a lot of stock car experience, yet as far as I know all she does is run a truck once a week.

Top10's with an occasional Top5 was what I was expecting to see for her in the Trucks and it just hasn't happened. It seemed she was on pace with Kraus coming into the series and she's been no where in the ballpark. I don't get it tbh. Part of why it's been highly disappointing/perturbing to watch, we've seen this story before but thought this one was different.

I hope Hailie proves me wrong and there's some massive "found it" moment in her driving. Not to be too harsh, there's still time, but we are fast approaching miracle territory of not being just a great sponsor getter.

I want to root for her, she's from my neck of the woods, but you gotta show me SOMETHING ANYTHING on the track...

I'm not sure if she's capable of being a top 10 driver but I also think they've done a poor job of building her talent. She doesn't have a lot of stock car experience, yet as far as I know all she does is run a truck once a week.

They?

She had every opportunity to run more pro and super late model races when she was with TRD. In fact, they wanted her to.

I’m positive she could run a top tier Late Model Stock or Super Late Model if she wanted to and I doubt DGR would have a problem with it.

Easier to make vlogs and be a victim though. It’s the Gen-Z way.

Not to be too harsh, there's still time, but we are fast approaching miracle territory of not being just a great sponsor getter.
Agreed, and I wonder if the sponsors are going to stick around long-term. On one hand, her social media following is admittedly huge, but the thing is she isn't a household name either.

Everybody knew who Danica Patrick was, even when she was in IRL during a pretty weak era for American open-wheel racing, but I'm certain that none of my non-racing friends know who Hailie Deegan is. And after some time of not winning, even Danica being a mainstream celebrity wasn't enough to keep the sponsors lined up.

Agreed, and I wonder if the sponsors are going to stick around long-term. On one hand, her social media following is admittedly huge, but the thing is she isn't a household name either.

Everybody knew who Danica Patrick was, even when she was in IRL during a pretty weak era for American open-wheel racing, but I'm certain that none of my non-racing friends know who Hailie Deegan is. And after some time of not winning, even Danica being a mainstream celebrity wasn't enough to keep the sponsors lined up.
I never heard of Danica until she got into cup.

Easier to make vlogs and be a victim though.
Yeah that's kind of what I'm getting at in my last post too. I don't think this path is sustainable long-term. The social media game creates some strong flash-in-the-pan hype that can be capitalized on to get things kicked off, but by itself it isn't how a racecar driver cultivates a long-term career behind the wheel.

Granted, I have no idea what things are like for her behind the scenes or what they may be trying to run or not run aside from trucks. But from a fan's/layman's perspective, it's almost looking like she's going from racecar driver that vlogs for relevancy, to vlogger that drives a racecar for content.

I believe Halie is a Top 10 truck driver. TJ is a great spotter overall but I also think he could push her to be more aggressive with these drivers pushing her around. Her finishes usually don't reflect some of the decent runs they have had before getting into someone else's mess. That said, the pit crew has lost her positions, and Halie has made mistakes to loose positions. She tends to spend a lot of the races, getting back to where she was running after a pit mistake or losing positions on a restart. Some of the struggle is running in the 15-20th positions where a lot of crap goes on. But even closer to the front there are challenges. Those drivers are better racers and she will always have to deal with the guys that cannot deal with a women doing better than they are. Having never been at a live race to see what's really going on, I suspect that some of these guys are not just randomly taking her out, there was probably some earlier incident where she did something that pissed them off.

I never heard of Danica until she got into cup.
How? She was also over television and print media for years before she drove the 10 car for SHR. She finished 4th in her first Indy 500 in 2005, which got her tons of attention as a female racecar driver that had potential to win at the top level in what was considered a men's sport at that time. She then both won an IRL race and did Sports Illustrated in a in swimsuit in 2008 and that really propelled her in mainstream media. And even before that she posed for FHM in 2003, which was another big marketing move on her part.

She was heavily mainstream before Cup. That's how she got the sponsorship to make it to Cup, and was able to cash in on NASCAR Cup earnings instead of staying in Indycar.

Looking at the roster of current truck series drivers, she is not a top 10 driver.

Zane Smith, John Hunter, Ben Rhodes, Stewart Freisen, Ty Majeski, Chandler Smith, Carson Hocevar, Grant Enfinger, Tanner Grey, Matt Crafton, Christian Eckes, Ryan Preece, Matt D, Parker Kligerman... That's fourteen drivers that are pretty indisputably faster than her.

Parker has only run 7 races to Hailie's 14, yet is beating her in points with a team that has substantially less money and resources than DGR.

A Ford Motor Company marketing exercise that will end with a whimper in the absence of a couple of top 10 finishes before the season ends.

The demographic they’re chasing might embrace one or two of the young women currently running competitively in the USAC Midget series. Kaylee Bryson, Taylor Reimer, Jade Avedisian and a couple of others.

How? She was also over television and print media for years before she drove the 10 car for SHR. She finished 4th in her first Indy 500 in 2005, which got her tons of attention as a female racecar driver that had potential to win at the top level in what was considered a men's sport at that time. She then both won an IRL race and did Sports Illustrated in a in swimsuit in 2008 and that really propelled her in mainstream media. And even before that she posed for FHM in 2003, which was another big marketing move on her part.

She was heavily mainstream before Cup. That's how she got the sponsorship to make it to Cup, and was able to cash in on NASCAR Cup earnings instead of staying in Indycar.
Indy isn't mainstream. If you didn't follow Indy you didn't know who Danica was. She didn't become a household name until she got to cup.

Indy isn't mainstream. If you didn't follow Indy you didn't know who Danica was. She didn't become a household name until she got to cup.
Really, because here's some New York Times articles about her from 2008:
https://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/21/sports/othersports/21patrick.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/23/fashion/23nite.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/26/sports/othersports/26patrick.html

People magazine from 2008:

https://people.com/parents/danica-patrick/

She was also in TIME magazine over several years starting in 2005, which is the same year she also made the covers of Sports Illustrated and ESPN Magazine. First time she drove a Cup car was in 2012.

Back
Top Bottom