Delaware Restarts:

Please.

NASCAR changes something every 15 minutes.

Exactly the point. Take a look at the first two responses. There is no conversation here because NASCAR "fans" just like bitching and moaning and griping about everything. Look above. "Imagine a 20 lap caution." Are you kidding me? . There is this thought that it is going to take 10 laps or more to do this when guys all around the Country manage to get it done in half a lap on 1/3 mile tracks.

These guys are able to play the pit road game in the blink of an eye and you all are worried about how long the caution period is going to be....lol. I understand that we all turn our heads a little sideways when NASCAR makes a change because their history has been rough as of late. However, there are plenty of good ideas out there that on the surface make a ton of sense. They just need to be tried.

You asked how long it would take to do something like this and I provided you the answer, now twice. What is your other complaint? If you want to say you just don't like it then say it and then bow out. Otherwise, come with actual reasoning and form conversation instead of being immediately dismissive of everything.........

You asked how long it would take to do something like this and I provided you the answer, now twice. What is your other complaint? If you want to say you just don't like it then say it and then bow out. Otherwise, come with actual reasoning and form conversation instead of being immediately dismissive of everything.........
I didn’t ask you a question at all.

You’ve confused me with someone else.

Exactly the point. Take a look at the first two responses. There is no conversation here because NASCAR "fans" just like bitching and moaning and griping about everything. Look above. "Imagine a 20 lap caution." Are you kidding me? . There is this thought that it is going to take 10 laps or more to do this when guys all around the Country manage to get it done in half a lap on 1/3 mile tracks.

These guys are able to play the pit road game in the blink of an eye and you all are worried about how long the caution period is going to be....lol. I understand that we all turn our heads a little sideways when NASCAR makes a change because their history has been rough as of late. However, there are plenty of good ideas out there that on the surface make a ton of sense. They just need to be tried.

I asked how long this would take because I've NEVER seen it in action. So please pardon my ignorance.
The dirt tracks I was familiar with when we raced didn't use this type of restart.

But it will already be outdated upon arrival.

I was being sarcastic, to my knowledge a rule book is tough to get. I don't know anybody that has ever gotten one. I have the Indy car rule book on PDF, its pretty interesting

I asked how long this would take because I've NEVER seen it in action. So please pardon my ignorance.
The dirt tracks I was familiar with when we raced didn't use this type of restart.

I understand not knowing how it works, but thinking that this could not be done in a single caution lap is mind blowing. These guys literally check up at the exit of pit road at the command of their crew chiefs and spotters. This would be something where they talk about if x amount of cars stay in the preferred lane then we are going to take a shot. Just like pitting or not. I think the idea has legs. There is so much you have to consider. Preferred lane or not for positioning? Do you want to be behind what was a 7th place car in row 2 for a restart with the thought that it may slow you down and cost you more spots or you could make it three wide if you get a good jump? There is just too much to like. I believe it makes the drivers get after it even more because they either have to make the decision count or make up for it.

I am okay with things now, after they stopped so many bull**** debris cautions.
There are no perfect solutions anyway.
That being said, more green flag racing and less restarts is the best in my opinion.

I was being sarcastic, to my knowledge a rule book is tough to get. I don't know anybody that has ever gotten one. I have the Indy car rule book on PDF, its pretty interesting
And I was just joking with you, as I believe it was mentioned in this thread how fast NASCAR makes changes so, I thought it would be funny to say to you, "But it will already be outdated upon arrival.", since I had to spell out the joke, it was not funny to start with, but I am going to give myself 1 point for trying.
pkKyUus.jpg
:p;):laugh:

You are 100% correct, it is very hard for someone outside of the world of NASCAR to get a rule book, they do show up on Ebay for sale from time to time and go for stupid money .

Not from the drivers, from fans. The ones who cannot handle any change in the sport whatsoever.
The one problem I can envision is team racing in the playoffs, having eliminated drivers letting their championship eligible teammates in front of them after they move up. For example lets say at Martinsville, where the winner goes to Homestead: Logano is in first and is out of the playoffs. Harvick is second, Kyle Busch third, Truex fourth, and Keselowski fifth, all in the playoffs still. I could see the top 4 choosing the inside, then Keselowski takes the outside, lines up next to his non-playoff eligible teammate, who jams up the restart to let him in. If a situation like that occurred, I could definitely see some fan and probably driver backlash.

And I was just joking with you, as I believe it was mentioned in this thread how fast NASCAR makes changes so, I thought it would be funny to say to you, "But it will already be outdated upon arrival.", since I had to spell out the joke, it was not funny to start with, but I am going to give myself 1 point for trying.
pkKyUus.jpg
:p;):laugh:
I have deducted 2 points leaving you at negative 1.

Never try this again.

I have deducted 2 points leaving you at negative 1.

Never try this again.
I think more often than not it would be a huge advantage to the leader, he would not have to beat someone in his row to the turn, the next row however could get hung up racing through the first and second turns while the leader scoots away.

I think more often than not it would be a huge advantage to the leader, he would not have to beat someone in his row to the turn, the next row however could get hung up racing through the first and second turns while the leader scoots away.

That's why I suggest NASCAR actually TRIES this, and see how it works. You MAY be right, but we'll never know for sure if all we do is sit around and speculate about it.

It could happen that the leader comes in to pit, has a bad stop and some cars take two tires, He comes out of the pits 7th and has to restart on the bottom when the top is the desired lane.
Under this system, if the first 6 cars all lined up on the top, he could be the first car on the inside and be able to take the lead again.
I am all in favor of Nascar trying the cone start in all 3 series. Just make the penalty so tough no one tries to switch lanes after the cone.

The one problem I can envision is team racing in the playoffs, having eliminated drivers letting their championship eligible teammates in front of them after they move up. For example lets say at Martinsville, where the winner goes to Homestead: Logano is in first and is out of the playoffs. Harvick is second, Kyle Busch third, Truex fourth, and Keselowski fifth, all in the playoffs still. I could see the top 4 choosing the inside, then Keselowski takes the outside, lines up next to his non-playoff eligible teammate, who jams up the restart to let him in. If a situation like that occurred, I could definitely see some fan and probably driver backlash.
That could happen now if Joey and Brad came out first and second. If Kez, Kyle, and Kev are all still in the running, I doubt they'd line up behind each other in one lane behind a non-eligible car. Knowing Joey restarts first, one of them would move to the bottom before Brad had the chance.

Exactly, that is an example where strategy comes into play for Harvick, Truex and Busch. Similar strategy would be in play at super speedways. I am all for this. Can we get someone to visit Brian in rehab and explain what needs to be done?

It seems to me it would take a long time to sort out the field. But they could simplify it by allowing the top 10 to pick their lane. Suppose the high line is fast and the leader takes it, the 2nd and 3rd place cars can line up behind him allowing the 4th place car to take the inside front row. I'm in favor of trying new ideas (the All Start race is usually where this stuff is tried). What ever process they try, it has to be completed within a lap at most tracks.

This thread literally gave me a headache.
Bottom line..... I don't want anything named "Delaware" in NASCAR.
Just like Mason said to Dixon..."Ya gotta draw the line somewhere!"

incase anyone is confused about how simple this is

If 14 Late Model drivers can sort it out in less than 20 seconds on a quarter-mile, I'm pretty sure drivers in NASCAR's top series can manage. The last half-dozen are rarely lined up 'properly' for restarts anyway.

Reactions: sky
Cone restarts during the last stage only. The bullrings do it best.

Threadstarter was under a mistaken impression of what Delaware restarts are, but what he was describing is similar to the new normal. Interesting to read the reactions from the time.

If only our guy Danny Ray was around here to enjoy this day. Pour one out for him, I wanted to @ him (or her) and it looks like the account is deactivated. Same with our friend The General. Pour one out for him as well

I know chances are even if this did happen, eventually someone through the field would take the chance to move up, but what if somewhere, say martinsville, they end up all choosing the bottom and have a single file restart

Back
Top Bottom