Dirt Mods 2021

kkfan91

Everyones an outlaw til its time to do outlaw s%&#
After watching the lesser of the dirt mods with the UMP cars all week it's nice to see my local type the big blocks take to the track with the Super Dirt Car Series. Watching both types at Volusia the speed difference is crazy

I have to agree. I like watching the other mods at the track, but as far as a televised race, I find the big blocks more intriguing. And I've still never seen them in person.

Stewart Friesen doing what Stewart Friesen does in a big block and takes the 2nd night. Good showing from Max McLaughlin (son of long time Xfinity series driver Mike McLaughlin)

Stumbled onto some info wasn't aware of. A-Mods. Basically what those cars were meant to be from inception (IMCA). Old 3-link cars on take-off asphalt slicks running on dirt. Said tires are 30-40 bucks each and only need 8-9 a season. The mods above and these are only related by having 4 tires. The IMCA/A-Mod deal is basically a 1985 Monte Carlo or old Chevelle with an aluminum body. They are street stocks. Back in the 80's when aluminum SB Chevy's were becoming common guys were buying the "old" SLM 430" steel blocks FOR THEIR STREET STOCKS! Now our street stocks ran late model take=off Hoosiers so could kinda hook them up. Maybe...or pull a plug wire off when it got slick...run reverse stagger. Now everything is store bought.

"A-Mods" has only been a term since the rise of B-Mods and Sport Mods, which have started to outnumber the top modified class at many tracks due to affordability. I kinda hate the term. It's like calling the movie Rocky One.

Yes, that is the lineage of the IMCA modified. For a long time those cars (and their UMP brethren) were required to use a "stock" Chevelle front clip, from 1968-1972 I believe. Those rules kept getting bent until they went by the wayside and they became fully tube frame chassis.

What I saw growing up in the Midwest is that late models were usually a track's premier class in the 1980s, but priced themselves out of working as a weekly class at most tracks. IMCA-style modifieds became the go-to premier class for a lot of these tracks in the '90s and '00s, and more money and development went into them. The top drivers were rolling out brand new manufacturer-bought cars every year, just like late models. Then UMP and USMTS started touring with them, paying $2-$3k to win, and soon enough these things became late models on skinny tires.

Today it costs so much to be competitive in an "A-Mod" that at a typical track, you might see 15 "A-Mods" in the pits and 35 "B-Mods". The B-Mods are usually just a 2-barrel carb version of the A-Mod, often someone's used A-Mod from two years ago.

Last edited:
"A-Mods" has only been a term since the rise of B-Mods and Sport Mods, which have started to outnumber the top modified class at many tracks due to affordability. I kinda hate the term. It's like calling the movie Rocky One.

Yes, that is the lineage of the IMCA modified. For a long time those cars (and their UMP brethren) were required to use a "stock" Chevelle front clip, from 1968-1972 I believe. Those rules kept getting bent until they went by the wayside and they became fully tube frame chassis.

What I saw growing up in the Midwest is that late models were usually a track's premier class in the 1980s, but priced themselves out of working as a weekly class at most tracks. IMCA-style modifieds became the go-to premier class for a lot of these tracks in the '90s and '00s, and more money and development went into them. The top drivers were rolling out brand new manufacturer-bought cars every year, just like late models. Then UMP and USMTS started touring with them, paying $2-$3k to win, and soon enough these things became late models on skinny tires.

Today it costs so much to be competitive in an "A-Mod" that at a typical track, you might see 15 "A-Mods" in the pits and 35 "B-Mods". The B-Mods are usually just a 2-barrel carb version of the A-Mod, often someone's used A-Mod from two years ago.
I've also seen E-mods and the hell if I know what those are.

I'd like to see a leaf spring, non-gas shock, $1000 claimer on engine (less clutch& waterpump but INCLUDING carb & dist). But I suppose finding engines to build/use would be tough now. The cash-for-clunkers thing KILLED used parts.

Was thinking about carb'd LS motor. OUCH!

Another option although half way to a solution:

What I found interesting about the A-Mods I was talking abut was the use of ASPHALT ungrooved slicks. 30-40 bucks a pop makes tires much less a concern.

And you CAN buy a brand new "GM" 2/3 frame. Comes disassembled. No rear section.

I didn't realize that USMTS had taken it to this level. 26 of 36 national races paying $10,000 to win, the other 10 paying $5,000. These are late model purses. They were all $2,000 and $3,000 to win races a decade ago except for a couple big ones.

Anyone who wants to learn more about Big Blocks will get the chance since a whole bunch of it is coming to Flo

Ok. Party-pooper here. I signed up to Flo. Thought it was $12.55 a month. Nope. $160 yearly debited immediately. So far no refund. Transaction was Jan12th. My account says cancelled but ZERO money returned. Had to dispute with my bank. Zero response from FloRacing. Be careful folks.

Ok. Party-pooper here. I signed up to Flo. Thought it was $12.55 a month. Nope. $160 yearly debited immediately. So far no refund. Transaction was Jan12th. My account says cancelled but ZERO money returned. Had to dispute with my bank. Zero response from FloRacing. Be careful folks.
Yeah I had that happen to, they are a bit misleading since it never tells you that it's a payment all at once

Wild 358 mod race tonight at Georgetown hopefully Flo puts out the highlights, Stewart Friesen wins it with a last lap pass thanks to lap traffic with 2 wheels off the backstretch

Here are the highlights

Watching the big blocks at Bridgeport for the first time since they reconfigured it. This track is really good 4 to 5 wide into the high banked turns

Great finish and battle for the win hope Flo puts out a highlight video I can post

Fastest I've ever seen Dirtcar mods look David Stremme wins from the pole, Kyle Strickler tried to junk half the field on the start.

Stewart Friesen does what Stewart Friesen does in a big block taking the points opener for the Super Dirtcar Series. Can't wait to see these cars at Bristol in a couple weeks.

Stewart Friesen takes advantage of early cautions to move up from 8th starting spot to win at Bristol

Friesen wins again today to sweep the weekend in the mods, as Gravel did in the sprints.

Short Track Super Series from Delaware International on Flo

Surprise surprise Friesen wins it

Friesen takes a 200 lapper for the STSS at Port Royal, pretty cool to watch big blocks race around the Speed Palace

Back
Top Bottom