Discussion: Good old days vs. new style racing

I don't think the fastest car wins Daytona anymore. It is more what couple of cars can team up to go faster than the others.
IMO it takes a very smart racer in the lead and the best pusher in a car that matches up with the lead car. I don't like super speedway racing and if truth be known the people that do really just want to see the big one a couple of times if possible.
I like plate races and I dont like wrecks.

Then Daytona and Dega are not the ones to watch as you sure are going to get them.
Thats not what you said, you sais that the truth is people that like them like the wrecks. I dont, I like the strategy and the chess match of choosing lines and photo finishes, if you dont like that then...........

Thats not what you said, you sais that the truth is people that like them like the wrecks. I dont, I like the strategy and the chess match of choosing lines and photo finishes, if you dont like that then...........

I know amongst the casual fans that the big wrecks are a heavy motivator in watching as I have heard how well races have been liked because of them and how it sucked because there were not any "good ones." Plate tracks are very popular with casuals and I don't think it is all wrecking but also the allusion that meaningful racing is going on and that anyone can win one.

I hear you. I like those parts as well but it seems the outcome is always about the gig one and so I don't mind missing them.

View attachment 30529

Not so much. See any sealed side skirts? That goofy splitter being worn off from dragging. Nope.

4"-6" off the ground all the way around. Still gonna have a draft effect but you will lose a significant portion of this aero platform horse crud.
jimmiejohnson2001.png

You never know. As a matter of fact, the gentleman that occasionally helps me with yard work was one of my very first
class of 7th graders. Small world.

TRL, speaking of something similar.

My caretaker from the first daycare I was in, I talked to her about an hour yesterday and this was about twenty-three years ago I attended her daycare. She's still a caretaker to this day, she loves what she does.

Its pretty surreal to say the least.

The very first Cup race I ever went to was the August 1983 race at Michigan. The pole speed was 165 MPH. I've seen dozens of races these since, and other than the 1985 IROC Harry Gant/Terry Labonte dual, that was STILL the best race I have seen there. Adding 40 MPH to the pole speed has done not ONE thing for the show, which is why I stopped going to races there quite some time ago.
You were in the biz, right? What kind of jack did you use?

I don't think the fastest car wins Daytona anymore. It is more what couple of cars can team up to go faster than the others.
IMO it takes a very smart racer in the lead and the best pusher in a car that matches up with the lead car. I don't like super speedway racing and if truth be known the people that do really just want to see the big one a couple of times if possible.
What exactly is it that makes you folks think your the only ones who watched NASCAR before?

Thought it would be a cool site to talk about racing. But the condescending attitudes around here are not worth it. Peace out.

Lol.

Older generation has been blaming the younger generations for everything for centuries.

More critical thinking, please.
Its a fact and its supported by data. And their is no "blame" I'm simply stating that the younger generation simply doesnt attend or watch racing like in the past.

What exactly is it that makes you folks think your the only ones who watched NASCAR before?

Thought it would be a cool site to talk about racing. But the condescending attitudes around here are not worth it. Peace out.
Youre not the first to be treated as such.

Plenty of fans at the short tracks I attend here in New England.
I wish I had some short tracks closer to me here in the Hill Country.
When I lived in East Texas, there were a number of them. Husband and I would spend enjoyable evenings at them. Back in the mid 70s, he
helped build and maintain a late model with his brother. The guy that owned and drove started racing back in the 50s.

Its a fact and its supported by data. And their is no "blame" I'm simply stating that the younger generation simply doesnt attend or watch racing like in the past.
Please.

NASCAR’s marketing and motivations to turn their back on baby boomers and gen x’ers in favor of a generation that was never a marketable niche has ruined it. In turn, the fans left behind have decided not to return.

You see it every season. More fans, who were once hardcore and loyal, are turning off NASCAR and heading to local tracks instead to scratch their itch.

Pointing the finger at one generation or another is foolish.

I wish I had some short tracks closer to me here in the Hill Country.
When I lived in East Texas, there were a number of them. Husband and I would spend enjoyable evenings at them. Back in the mid 70s, he
helped build and maintain a late model with his brother. The guy that owned and drove started racing back in the 50s.
There are at least 5 within an hour or less travel time of me. Thompson, Stafford, and Monadnock are really close. I believe Thompson is one of the oldest asphalt tracks in the country, lots of history here in New England.

Please.

NASCAR’s marketing and motivations to turn their back on baby boomers and gen x’ers in favor of a generation that was never a marketable niche has ruined it. In turn, the fans left behind have decided not to return.

You see it every season. More fans, who were once hardcore and loyal, are turning off NASCAR and heading to local tracks instead to scratch their itch.

Agreed, I only go to local tracks, I haven't been to Cup race in 10 years.

Please.

You call it what you want, but when Detroit is worried about it then I'll take that over your opinion and you're nuts if you think fans are flocking to the short tracks, they are closing down more every year.

Plenty of fans at the short tracks I attend here in New England.
Yeah, selective tracks but as a whole attendance is down across the board. Bowman Gray is packed every week but, South Boston,Myrtle Beach,Greenville etc are barely surviving.

Yeah, selective tracks but as a whole attendance is down across the board. Bowman Gray is packed every week but, South Boston,Myrtle Beach,Greenville etc are barely surviving.
Maybe they need to change their marketing strategy, short track racing here in New England is thriving.

Racing went south somewhere between the death traps at any speed and the winged bubble wrapped eye sores.

The current style of racing is like going to a monster truck show, and instead of cars, ramps, and various other obstacles, it is just a flat surface. Or going to an nfl game and tackling has been replaced with flags. Or watching someone walk the high wire, 2 feet off the ground. Or slow pitch softball.

NASCAR was always about ill handling, way over powered tanks, with stunt men behind the wheels. If I wanted to watch a bunch of cars just doing 200 while keeping their distance from each other, I can watch Indy. And if I want to see pack driving, the interstate around any medium sized city provides plenty. And if I want to see the best car money can buy win, I’ll watch f1 or nhra. NASCAR needs to figure out in a hurry that the cars are 100% the problem, not the points format, segments, tv start times, fan amenities, weather, hotels, or the number of personal a team employs. If people like what they see, then they’ll make the effort to go see it. But you have to fix the heart of the problem first.

You call it what you want, but when Detroit is worried about it then I'll take that over your opinion and you're nuts if you think fans are flocking to the short tracks, they are closing down more every year.
I call it that selling the real estate is seemingly far more profitable in the long term than keeping a racetrack up and running in a sport that is growing less popular year by year.

Racing went south somewhere between the death traps at any speed and the winged bubble wrapped eye sores.

The current style of racing is like going to a monster truck show, and instead of cars, ramps, and various other obstacles, it is just a flat surface. Or going to an nfl game and tackling has been replaced with flags. Or watching someone walk the high wire, 2 feet off the ground. Or slow pitch softball.

NASCAR was always about ill handling, way over powered tanks, with stunt men behind the wheels. If I wanted to watch a bunch of cars just doing 200 while keeping their distance from each other, I can watch Indy. And if I want to see pack driving, the interstate around any medium sized city provides plenty. And if I want to see the best car money can buy win, I’ll watch f1 or nhra. NASCAR needs to figure out in a hurry that the cars are 100% the problem, not the points format, segments, tv start times, fan amenities, weather, hotels, or the number of personal a team employs. If people like what they see, then they’ll make the effort to go see it. But you have to fix the heart of the problem first.
Yep you nailed it, totally agree.

Racing is suffering at all levels. Short tracks across the country are closing, its not the racing. Its the new generation.

Do you think that racing will ever come back into vogue in the US or is it heading toward the status of boxing or something like that?

if NASCAR is dying.. it’s because of the NASCAR fans, all y’all do is cry and complain about every little thing!!! I never seen so many grown people complain in my life..
Yep, you would think a rule change cost them money.

if NASCAR is dying.. it’s because of the NASCAR fans, all y’all do is cry and complain about every little thing!!! I never seen so many grown people complain in my life..

I didn't know Brian posted here. Sounds like the news conference you had at the end of last season.

Nascar lives or dies on the product it serves not because people speak positively or negatively about it.

Back
Top Bottom