Discussion: Good old days vs. new style racing

2000 ride height tho

2000-nascar-results-1.jpg
I am sure someone will come along and throw a wet blanket over things and say these cars would turn into flying saucers today.
They flew then.

They’d fly now.

You have to go back even farther than this #9 1987 210.364 record holder to this day at Daytona. Back in the early 70's would be the best bet, by the mid to late 70's they were getting the front end down as close as possible to the track. BP's 73 Chevy would get much closer to the track in the corners. Lots of downforce with that grill..another purpose built car, limited edition "Laguna"

54ca812a24794_-_nascar-4-470-0209-83272894.jpg
b37918fde421c767ec11b822426483b3.jpg

I am sure someone will come along and throw a wet blanket over things and say these cars would turn into flying saucers today.
Good shot going down the straightaway, now show us then going into the corner when hard on the brakes.

I worked with a NASCAR team in the late eighties and that was just about the time when qualifying speeds were so close, 1/10 of a second meant racing or going home. Those were tough times for single team owners making a living racing. Guys like Dave Marcis, Jimmy Means and Brett Bodine, Buddy Arrington and others were racing used parts from other teams. Was the racing any better? Not necessarily but for the time, it was the best there was. I really liked those Busch Series cars with the V-6 engines that sounded like a mob of angry bees.
Carl Wegner V-6 was the shiznit

Its much better with no ride height rule. You have many more options on springs and shocks.

Frankly i dont care about the system.

Just make the on track product better

V8 Supercars ... "The Car of the Future" Love that name. :rolleyes:

She's sitting there with her skirts hiked up ... shameless hussy.

fpr-ford-falcon-v8-car-of-the-future-4.jpg

fpr-falcon-cotf-pitroad.jpg

That actually looks like a stock car and it even has door handles! I doubt something like this car would pass Nascar's rigorous safety standards though.

A V8 Falcon! Wish they would show those races in the winter. Good close dices, air jacks, center lock wheels and all

And yet also has that tire cutting splitter up front.

Oh I am positive the peanut gallery around here could find plenty wrong with the car, tracks, sponsors, and the fans in the stands. The racing would never be as good as it was 20 years ago.:D

Oh I am positive the peanut gallery around here could find plenty wrong with the car, tracks, sponsors, and the fans in the stands. The racing would never be as good as it was 20 years ago.:D
Actually with the stage racing, I enjoyed the 2017 season more than any of the last 5 years.
I would like them to red flag the race after each stage, Line them up for a restart then after the drop of the green, cars can pit if they want.

Actually with the stage racing, I enjoyed the 2017 season more than any of the last 5 years.
I would like them to red flag the race after each stage, Line them up for a restart then after the drop of the green, cars can pit if they want.
I can live with the stage racing and the points...... but...... why the hell with the scoring they have now....... can't they just award the points and let the race continue?????? In the 90's they had the Right Guard Challenge where the leader at the halfway point won 10 thousand dollars........ they never stopped the friggin' race..... To me...... throwing a caution to let the drivers come in for a hotdog and ice cream cone is bulls@@t........

I can live with the stage racing and the points...... but...... why the hell with the scoring they have now....... can't they just award the points and let the race continue?????? In the 90's they had the Right Guard Challenge where the leader at the halfway point won 10 thousand dollars........ they never stopped the friggin' race..... To me...... throwing a caution to let the drivers come in for a hotdog and ice cream cone is bulls@@t........

This has been explained a hundred times..but here goes again.:) No other sport out there has non stop action from start to finish. Networks have to use commercials to pay for their broadcast rights. They can cover up the racing with over a third of the race being lost to viewers because of commercials or they can show most of them under cautions(stages). It's a compromise. On the racing end, awarding points at the end of the stages makes the drivers go harder.

There are some folks including Brian France that say the racing has never been better than today. Do you feel that way too?

This has been explained a hundred times..but here goes again.:) No other sport out there has non stop action from start to finish. Networks have to use commercials to pay for their broadcast rights. They can cover up the racing with over a third of the race being lost to viewers because of commercials or they can show most of them under cautions(stages). It's a compromise. On the racing end, awarding points at the end of the stages makes the drivers go harder.
I know..... and I've heard it a hundred times.... just because I've heard it a hundred times doesn't mean I have to like it...... I didn't say I didn't like the awarding points at the end of the stages.......

I agree 100% with you that if they have to have stages then give whatever it is they give out after stages but keep the cars going. The races already drag on long enough anyway so keep that action going as missing a few laps here and there never hurt anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know..... and I've heard it a hundred times.... just because I've heard it a hundred times doesn't mean I have to like it...... I didn't say I didn't like the awarding points at the end of the stages.......
so you liked it better the other way then. I guess :idunno:

You will notice I said pit only after the restart. I included a restart so that all the lap down cars could line up at the rear of the field. If you just let the race continue, Nascar will throw the caution when ever they want as they have been doing the last 10 yrs.

You will notice I said pit only after the restart. I included a restart so that all the lap down cars could line up at the rear of the field. If you just let the race continue, Nascar will throw the caution when ever they want as they have been doing the last 10 yrs.

I agree as the stages above all else are about stopping the race for the purpose of bunching up the field, giving laps back and having restarts as whatever points are doled out at the end of the stages could be done so without a stoppage. According to NBC there were 296 cautions this season compared to 269 in 2016 and 298 cautions during the 2015 season which did not have stage breaks. With or without stage breaks there will always be plenty of caution periods for Nascar to run commercials.

so you liked it better the other way then. I guess :idunno:
Yep...... I guess I do if they are going to stop the race so everyone can have a hotdog.........

I really don't see a reason to penalize a driver for having a 10 second lead on the field just because they want to tighten the field...... just like I can't see a reason that the most consistent driver over the period of 36 races doesn't most times win the Championship..... Thank goodness fairness prevailed this year..... in spite of Nascar....

Last edited:
If the speeds are lower the racing would be better. There is more passing on the highway then at most 1.5 mile tracks. On 1.5 mile tracks they average 170 on highways they average 70.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Nostalgia is great as there is a large candy store I patronize from time to time that transports me back in time as it has all sorts of long forgotten confections. I like to go to old buildings as the window transoms, creaky floors and the wonderful smell beam me back several decades. I would be in seventh heaven if I went into a butcher shop or grocery store with sawdust on the floor as I may not want to leave.

Nostalgia is great and can be a good reminder that while many things are better today than yesterday there are many things that are also lacking.

Back
Top Bottom