Doubleheader Races?

Would you welcome doubleheader weekend races?

• Yes

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • No, leave it as is

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
There's another point for speculation. Would they sandbag in the first to be sure they had a car for the second, esp. if they have to start the first in a backup. A low-point but controlled finish in the first combined with a top 10 in the second might be preferable to wrecking out of the first and nothing in the second.

So many questions about something we aren't even sure will happen.

I'm going to speculate more and say this was an intentional leak so they could see the fans reaction to it over the weekend before they went ahead with anything.

For the most part, I'd start with the tracks that have only one race, excluding Darlington and the road courses. If Phoenix or New Hampshire get split, I'd go with 200 lap races, not 150s.

I don't see how they could run two races on the same day. With any kind of break in between, the TV coverage would be pushing 4.5 hours. But that leaves the question of when you run the supporting race. Would there even be a supporting race for a double header? Would that open up more X / Truck dates for standalones at other tracks?
Truck/Cup 1 on Saturday, Xfinity/Cup 2 on Sunday?

Does it cost the teams more to run two races instead of one on the same weekend? On the same day?

Will Snidely Whiplash get away? What about Nell Fenwick? Will Dudley and Horse get to her before the train crosses the tracks? :eek:

If this is true I would assume the chase is dead. Double points doesn't matter if there is a "win and your in" chase.

Not a fan of double points races either way. Twin races on the same day might be interesting but people will bitch the second their driver is destroyed in the first and can't get their backup ready for the second.
"48 Race Points Format" implies to me no Chase as well.

I'd much rather have five double points races than any sort of Chase, and we could use some sort of Grand Slam again as I think a lot of events have certainly lost some luster with the advent of the Chase.

Truck/Cup 1 on Saturday, Xfinity/Cup 2 on Sunday?
Those guys don't run a 36-week schedule. You're gonna run out of supporting races pretty quickly.

Move all practice sessions to Friday. Saturday and Sunday would each have a qualifying session and race. If you don't qualify on Saturday, it's your call whether to stick around for Day Two.

I'm going to speculate more and say this was an intentional leak so they could see the fans reaction to it over the weekend before they went ahead with anything.
To help the conspiracy theory along, what if they're using social media to raise the questions fans are asking and the potential solutions they're suggesting? Couldn't they use the Fan Council for that? What if this is all some big lab experiment and we're the unknowing lab rats? :sne:

Those guys don't run a 36-week schedule. You're gonna run out of supporting races pretty quickly.

Move all practice sessions to Friday. Saturday and Sunday would each have a qualifying session and race. If you don't qualify on Saturday, it's your call whether to stick around for Day Two.
There would only be twelve twin weekends so they can be very selective with which ones they choose. Xfinity has twenty-eight companion events with Cup and Truck has sixteen so I'm sure they can find a lot of overlap.

To help the conspiracy theory along, what if they're using social media to raise the questions fans are asking and the potential solutions they're suggesting? Couldn't they use the Fan Council for that? What if this is all some big lab experiment and we're the unknowing lab rats? :sne:

It's fun to speculate. If we are lab rats, I'm sniffing around the maze trying to find the cheese. :eatpointe

For the most part, I'd start with the tracks that have only one race, excluding Darlington and the road courses. If Phoenix or New Hampshire get split, I'd go with 200 lap races, not 150s.

I don't see how they could run two races on the same day. With any kind of break in between, the TV coverage would be pushing 4.5 hours. But that leaves the question of when you run the supporting race. Would there even be a supporting race for a double header? Would that open up more X / Truck dates for standalones at other tracks?
If Dover gets split they need to go back to 500 laps, 250 and 250.

Pockrass is saying it's not the plan:

What's your opinion on doubleheader races in NASCAR (Cup in particular)? Maybe this was talked about in one of the threads?

Perhaps keep the schedule at 36 races.

Don't know of good tracks that would fit the mold, but maybe a doubleheader weekend at Richmond as the final two races before the Chase. I think a Friday and Saturday Night weekend at Richmond would be a good sell.

I brought this up a while back and at the time the idea was panned and deemed unworkable by some. I would love to see some of the cup races run on Saturday and Sunday at the same track. Races like MIS, Pocono, Dover and a few others could be over in one weekend shortening the season but not the number of races.

Just found the thread on Reddit about this and raced over here to post it... Then I found Steve O'Donnell's tweet.

Here I am, super intrigued. Seeing no hint of a chase. Thinking about Crown Jewel races actually being Crown Jewel races. A compromise of more yet less racing.....

And then the people involved in the sport laughed. They call it funny.

This is better than any of the dumb **** you guys have came up with since 2003. Eat a dick, NASCAR.

Just found the thread on Reddit about this and raced over here to post it... Then I found Steve O'Donnell's tweet.

Here I am, super intrigued. Seeing no hint of a chase. Thinking about Crown Jewel races actually being Crown Jewel races. A compromise of more yet less racing.....

This is better than any of the dumb sh!t you guys have came up with since 2003. Eat a dick, NASCAR.
Steve-O has always come off as a pompous ass to me.

This is better than any of the dumb sh!t you guys have came up with since 2003. Eat a dick, NASCAR.
^^

NO to doubleheader races that take place on different days. YES to a season-long championship format.

At least the prior likely won't happen this year, as the 2017 Cup schedule has already been released.

Hopefully the latter happens, but I'm doubtful.

By having doubleheaders you are guaranteed 2 starts for your ticket price versus the usual one. And maybe 3 or 4 restarts if a car runs out of gas!

So much this. It shows there are smart changes they could make that won't alienate the fan base. I even told my wife I might be sticking around NASCAR after all.

Not defending Od Steve but what exactly was he supposed to say? It is a hoax, why should he respond to it with a serious answer? Imagine if those involved in the sport had to answer to every single one of these.

Why say anything? He reposted it.

Back
Top Bottom