Driver comfort vs athletisicm

The most difficult thing I have experienced when being a passenger with a professional driver is how deep they drive into the corners. It doesn't translate to TV at all and not much, if at all, in person. Four times a lap it looks like you will knock the wall down and it is extremely difficult to get used to as your senses are telling you to do something else. If anyone needs plaque cleared from their arteries I would highly recommend booking some time with a pro as what they do cannot be duplicated by many as most would not have the stones.
And few appreciate the effects on the neck of having the head tossed to the right at 3 or 4 Gs a several hundred times consecutively.

Golf. Beach volleyball. Most sports that are played solo or with only two or three participants.

None of those examples stand the chance of the entire event going non-stop. Oh, wait; with stages, now NASCAR doesn't either.

I think the stages are completely unnecessary but I accept them as the lesser of 2 evils in that they have done away with bogus cautions so far. Even the most fervent believers in "there is no such thing as a bogus caution" must be privately questioning their belief as I can't remember the last time there has been a 4 race period without flagrant misuse of the yellow. It can't have been good for the series to have drivers like BKez and Jr speaking of them in a matter of fact way and a means for Nascar to bunch up the field.

It is almost like Nascar issued an internal directive that stated that because stage racing was here there would be no more bogus cautions and that good or bad they would live with the results.

I think the stages are completely unnecessary but I accept them as the lesser of 2 evils in that they have done away with bogus cautions so far. Even the most fervent believers in "there is no such thing as a bogus caution" must be privately questioning their belief as I can't remember the last time there has been a 4 race period without flagrant misuse of the yellow. It can't have been good for the series to have drivers like BKez and Jr speaking of them in a matter of fact way and a means for Nascar to bunch up the field.

It is almost like Nascar issued an internal directive that stated that because stage racing was here there would be no more bogus cautions and that good or bad they would live with the results.

Is riding the brake till a bead melts considered bogus ?

They aren't athletes anyway. Takes endurance and eye-hand-butt coordination to do what they do. Not saying some of them are not athletes (Hamlin, Johnson, even Harvick) but being good at driving a car fast doesn't take athletic ability. I support him as a driver but anyone see Bad Brad try a foul shot a year or so back? And he's one of the best out there.

Who is we?

YOU would be falling out of a $3500 seat in a hobby stock car after 40 laps. Stop talking. Go to the Petty thing and turn some laps at 3/4 speed. Get back to US after you've done that.

I did the Petty 30 lap drive at Charlotte a few years ago, it was nice cool overcast day, no problems.

In December of 2016 I did a 40 lap drive with Rusty Wallace's driving experience at 3/8 mile high bank Desoto Speedway in Bradenton Fla. Let me tell you, it was 89 degree ambient and the car I was in had been run all day and the inside was way way over 100 degrees, I thought I was going to roast before we got moving. Everything in that car was hot as hell, I had a full face helmet, firesuit, hans devise and was cinched in like a tightly packed 5 pound bag of sugar with little to no air movement in the car. 40 laps was all I wanted that day. It was fun for sure, but, I will never do that again until a cool or cold fall day.

After having done this, I have a whole lot more respect for theses guys racing 100's of laps in 90+ degree heat. They are as tough as you can get.

A guy that does some writing sez he saw AJ Foyt bring a car into to pit lane mid race to go take a dump, then return.

Guess he was not a world class athlete.
I seem to recall Tony Stewart struggling at Watkins Glen one year, complaining of the ever-popular 'flu-like symptoms'. Suddenly, about two-thirds of the way through, he began running much, MUCH better. I think he won, but he definitely did well enough to be interviewed after the race. What was notable was that he was interviewed while still sitting inside the car. Draw your own conclusions about the condition of his firesuit.

I'd be grateful if anyone can collaborate this.

I've said it once and I'll say it again:

Drivers losing conciousness is what brings people to the racetrack. The fact that drivers are so cognitive nowadaze is part of the reason NASCAR is DYING!!!!!!1

Throw in the figure 8 racing and we have a winner .... I will call Brian after my coffee

A mid July race at PIR ought to prove who the tough guys are !! in car temps should be around 160 to 180 degrees ... track temps around 200

A field of drivers whose hind ends resemble root beer dispensers would be funny. May have to make Chocolate Myers honorary pit steward.

It would be a hell of an opportunity to nail down the pampers and depends sponsorships dollars. Drivers could provide first hand experiences in the commercials, while also proving and qualifying themelves as certified 150 ° heat baddasses too. Like 150° degrees of brown testimonials working the thing.

Would also open up the markets for air freshnesrs, sanitary gloves, seat wipes, baby powders, creams etc....

Was it last week or the one before folks were frettin’ the drivers were gonna go deaf because the cars were too loud?

The things are loud 'n they're hot. Thru conditionin' 'n/or technology - deal with it.

I seem to recall Tony Stewart struggling at Watkins Glen one year, complaining of the ever-popular 'flu-like symptoms'. Suddenly, about two-thirds of the way through, he began running much, MUCH better. I think he won, but he definitely did well enough to be interviewed after the race. What was notable was that he was interviewed while still sitting inside the car. Draw your own conclusions about the condition of his firesuit.

I'd be grateful if anyone can collaborate this.

Yeah he won, had soiled himself, and the interviewer ( I forget what ass it was but he was let go later for something undisclosed) talked to him while he tried to bolt for his camper to clean up and change. He was sitting in a golf cart. When he finally let him go the a**hole interviewer said he was letting Yony go to change into a clean drivers suit. Made it pretty obvious what Tony had to do in his suit. I never cared for Tony but I felt for him that day b

Yeah, I got the golf cart detail wrong. CRS. I just remember it was an abrupt change in his performance, almost like like flipping a switch. You could tell almost to the lap when his body got rid of whatever it wasn't happy with. I guess winning was just the fastest way to get cleaned up. I dunno if that's athleticism, but it's #1 Grade A Determination with a heaping side order of Screw It All.

There are probably several drivers willing to race in their own byproducts for an hour if it would guarantee a first Cup win. I'd be all over that, with it all under me.

They could make the drivers eat a big meal, then force feed em Ex-Lax or some turbo-Lax pre race. That would really test how tough a driver was, and who has the most guts to keep their sheet together when the deal goes down.

Or...drive in a business suit... with the world's biggest hangover.

I'm talking 'bout my hero - Curtis Turner.

Yeah, I got the golf cart detail wrong. CRS. I just remember it was an abrupt change in his performance, almost like like flipping a switch. You could tell almost to the lap when his body got rid of whatever it wasn't happy with. I guess winning was just the fastest way to get cleaned up. I dunno if that's athleticism, but it's #1 Grade A Determination with a heaping side order of Screw It All.

There are probably several drivers willing to race in their own byproducts for an hour if it would guarantee a first Cup win. I'd be all over that, with it all under me.

Definite determination and will. Ugh. Last thing is want to do is give an interview.

I was at that race I believe it was 05-06 but all MRN was talking about over the PA was Tony's illness. Incredible drive by Smoke. Feel bad for the guys back at the shop that had to break that car down, talk about a crappy job!

He stayed in the car, and not only finished but won. Less determined people would have pulled into the garage and gotten out.
If I did do what he did I wouldn't have talked about it over the radio. I bet he didn't live it down for quit a while.

Back
Top Bottom