Drivers match revs and clutch less shift?

DanicaFreak

2021 Big Gator winner <Green Monster>

Ponderings:

<Do NASCAR drivers use the clutch on pit stops and take offs?
<Do drivers use the clutch at all except to engage reverse?

<I am hearing the days of heel toe magic on road courses are limited as drivers just match the revs.

The transmissions used by Nascar are designed to shift without the clutch.
Truck drivers also don't use the clutch, they simply let the tranny fall into gear
when the RPM is just right.

The transmissions used by Nascar are designed to shift without the clutch.
Truck drivers also don't use the clutch, they simply let the tranny fall into gear
when the RPM is just right.
Yep, we call that floating the gears. Some drivers double clutch and some float. I have always floated the gears. I would probably tear the transmission up if I tried to double clutch. Now days a majority of the trucks are automatics though. I use to call trucks with an automatic transmission a sissy truck but a couple of years ago I was at Sioux City Volvo the official truck of NHRA to get some work done on one of the trucks we bought there, and a new truck Eli Tomacs Kawasaki supercross team had ordered had just come in. Sioux City asked me if I would drive it a couple miles down the road to their detail shop and drop it off. I fell in love with that automatic transmission before I got out of the parking lot and hated my 13 speed from that day on. :)

Yep, we call that floating the gears. Some drivers double clutch and some float. I have always floated the gears. I would probably tear the transmission up if I tried to double clutch. Now days a majority of the trucks are automatics though. I use to call trucks with an automatic transmission a sissy truck but a couple of years ago I was at Sioux City Volvo the official truck of NHRA to get some work done on one of the trucks we bought there, and a new truck Eli Tomacs Kawasaki supercross team had ordered had just come in. Sioux City asked me if I would drive it a couple miles down the road to their detail shop and drop it off. I fell in love with that automatic transmission before I got out of the parking lot and hated my 13 speed from that day on. :)

We have quite a few "automatics" in our lease fleet for customers who wanted to spec it, but we gave our company drivers the option and surprisingly most opted to stay with the 13 speeds.

Need a clutch to get it moving not to shift gears.

Track trans = no synchro's they have dog ear gears like those used in motorcycles.
Here's some info on them:

Back
Top Bottom