Edwards..Thinking about it

^ The health issue, or health risk, was one of the three reasons he cited... along with satisfaction with his career and desire to spend time doing other things. Why people feel compelled to make up more reasons, out of thin air, baffles me.

^ The health issue, or health risk, was one of the three reasons he cited... along with satisfaction with his career and desire to spend time doing other things. Why people feel compelled to make up more reasons, out of thin air, baffles me.
Yeh me too, just like it baffles me people make up stuff about Dodge coming back in the sport, if you are going to post something like that back it up with proof.

Carl is going to be the lead driver for the new factory Dodge team

Again ...one more time....3 good reasons why it will still be here in 5 years?
Because like the banks, there is to much money invested by people to "Let it fail" In the world of big business they look after their own. If need be banks could actually step up and be sponsors. I am not saying such investors would not tighten the screws on the stupidity of some of the decisions of Nascar or the foolish thinking of spending on teams like they had their own printing press BUT if Nascar starts losing money they can step in and stop it.
For those reasons Nascar will be here a lot longer than I will be.
Sports in general have gone to far in salaries and that ship will right itself.

personally I think it is pretty foolish to try to predict the future for the long term on just about anything. But there are plenty of Chicken little's running around predicting the end of the world. Doesn't seem much different around here IMO.

Because like the banks, there is to much money invested by people to "Let it fail" In the world of big business they look after their own. If need be banks could actually step up and be sponsors. I am not saying such investors would not tighten the screws on the stupidity of some of the decisions of Nascar or the foolish thinking of spending on teams like they had their own printing press BUT if Nascar starts losing money they can step in and stop it.
For those reasons Nascar will be here a lot longer than I will be.
Sports in general have gone to far in salaries and that ship will right itself.
Who's going to pay for it when Monster bails on France and Nascar?

I think Monster is going to bail in another year.
That won't surprise me, but I don't think that will kill Cup racing. I recall NASCAR was ready to run 2017 without a title sponsor.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think NASCAR in general or Cup racing in particular will look the same in five years. They won't, but they'll still be here and the races will still be on the tube. There are too many sports channels desperate for content for someone not to pick up the coverage at a bargain price.

Seriously do you think they could or would? France spending his own money to fund Cup? Not gonna happen.
If the reported $20 million from Monster is correct, that ain't much in the big picture. Penske likely gets about that for two cars.

ISC and SMI together both grossed around $600 million in 2010, according to Wikipedia. If ISC turned a net profit of $60 million, I assume SMI did the same. Even assuming a decline in profits since then, I think those two organizations alone could find the series. Certainly the payouts would be reduced, but it beats working for a living.

I'd say Carl is completely satisfied where he is........

retired with a good portfolio and not having to deal with stress..... In my opinion....... he was very smart...... he knew when to quit on his own terms.....

Carl beat the oncoming “haircut” paradigm. Got ahead of things.

A very interesting thread, filled with important news that the racing media has missed entirely. All of the racing journos in search of a scoop would do well to lurk here. Today I have learned...

1. Carl left involuntarily, forced out by some un-named sinister force.

2. Carl left because he hates the way Nascar operates, even though he was a tireless and vocal leader advocating for the exact changes that have been implemented in 2016 and 2017.

3. Carl left because he hated sponsor obligations, although he has never said that, and has continued post-retirement to maintain sponsorship activities, and seek new ones also.

4. Carl will return soon driving for some new dreamed-up team.

And the people who make this stuff up and present it as fact then wonder why they have so little credibility... :flushed:

Sometimes people just can't accept what a man says, they have to find more.
Can't a man just decide enough, I just wanna go home, anymore?

This should be on the wall in each Nascar office

th.jpg

If the reported $20 million from Monster is correct, that ain't much in the big picture. Penske likely gets about that for two cars.

ISC and SMI together both grossed around $600 million in 2010, according to Wikipedia. If ISC turned a net profit of $60 million, I assume SMI did the same. Even assuming a decline in profits since then, I think those two organizations alone could find the series. Certainly the payouts would be reduced, but it beats working for a living.
If you consider the stakes involved Charlie, the track owners themselves could produce the program and sell to what ever TV outlet wants to show coverage. There is also the possibility
that Nascar could start it's own channel and sell advertising time. It might change the product and maybe for the better.

If you consider the stakes involved Charlie, the track owners themselves could produce the program and sell to what ever TV outlet wants to show coverage. There is also the possibility
that Nascar could start it's own channel and sell advertising time. It might change the product and maybe for the better.
Less people would watch, it would become even more of a niche product.

Less people would watch, it would become even more of a niche product.
I am not in the know enough to know exactly what would turn fans on or off. I can only speak for myself. In reality I don't really care who makes the money producing and televising the races. I can only say that I read many people who have stated they mute the channel because of the talking heads. I'm quite sure if Nascar had control those people would be replaced. No I haven't read the agreement between Nascar and NBC and FOX.

I am not in the know enough to know exactly what would turn fans on or off. I can only speak for myself. In reality I don't really care who makes the money producing and televising the races. I can only say that I read many people who have stated they mute the channel because of the talking heads. I'm quite sure if Nascar had control those people would be replaced. No I haven't read the agreement between Nascar and NBC and FOX.

I think NBCSN had their finger on the button so to speak..when they saw a fall off on their measuring devices, jabber and company talked louder and faster. IMO NBC would have to be blind not to read all of the negative comments about their broadcasts in social media. I think the booth people are under contracts so they couldn't just boot them without a lawsuit. Jr is signed up for next year so I am wishing and hoping for a change. I did see an improvement in their camera work as the season went on. It really was a mess when they started. To me it looked like they threw together a production crew that knew little or nothing about producing an auto race.

The funniest thing they came up with at the start of the season was their 100mph camera that was probably stolen from stick n ball sidelines. freaking cars blasting buy at 200mph..it was funny.

IMO Nascar will always be the name of some sort of racing series so it will always exist in some form. What it will look like or how big or small it is can be debated but my guess is that it will become about the size that Indy Car is. There will be 1 or 2 big races per year and the rest will draw around a million fans from home and 25K in the stands. I am happy to admit that I may be 100% wrong but seeing this is a message board if you are unwilling to speculate or think about things other than what is going on today well where is the fun in that?

Even though Brian and his sister are making a total shambles of what his Dad and grandfather built..... (and I am really surprised because I always felt Brian was incapable of handling anything..... I really thought Lesa and Jim would keep the ship upright....... goes to show how much I know)..... Nascar will be around for decades...... maybe at a much lower level than what they want.... but..... still relevant.... Times have changed.......

All this talk about Brian got me to thinking --- dangerous, I know.
But it reminds me of something that happened in French history.
The building of the fabulous, gaudy, and over-the-top palace of Versailles.
Louis the 14th built it.
Louis the 15th enjoyed it.
Louis the 16th paid for it(with his head and the fall of the monarchy).

It's said that the 3rd generation always manages to screw things up.

Louis the 14th built it.

You are right in every way TRL....... It's been very well documented.........

I have been waiting for several years for Brian to meet Louis the 16th fate..... (well...... I wouldn't want him to be beheaded.........just maybe removed from his position and have to move to South Dakota and live in a mud shack and endure brutally cold winters with nothing to eat and wolves circling his enclosure....... )

Other than that....... I wish him well.....

Louis the 14th built it.

There is no truth to the rumor that when Brent Dewar reported to Brian that some of the teams were having financial issues he said "Let them eat cake."

Louis the 14th built it.

Spot on

Has anyone here ever seen the financials for Nascar or the company that owns all those tracks?
Has anyone ever seen the financials for Bruton Smith?
Funny how the demise of the racing world is so well reported yet those people still spend millions
fixing the tracks and paying accountants. Just think how well off they would be if they had the combined knowledge of the forum members. :sarcasm:

Has anyone here ever seen the financials for Nascar or the company that owns all those tracks?
Has anyone ever seen the financials for Bruton Smith?
Funny how the demise of the racing world is so well reported yet those people still spend millions
fixing the tracks and paying accountants. Just think how well off they would be if they had the combined knowledge of the forum members. :sarcasm:
Speedway Motorsports Inc. and International Speedway Corp. are both publicly traded and file quarterly and annual SEC reports as required by law. Available online.

Both making money. You’re right ... their ongoing capital expenditures tell the tale.

Speedway Motorsports Inc. and International Speedway Corp. are both publicly traded and file quarterly and annual SEC reports as required by law. Available online.

Both making money. You’re right ... their ongoing capital expenditures tell the tale.
For how long?

“The Concord-based track operator released its second-quarter earnings Wednesday, showing a 2 percent decrease in admissions revenue in the three-month period from a year ago. But event-related revenue and NASCAR broadcasting revenue rose, helping to boost total revenue by 2 percent to $179.3 million.

Overall, the company’s second-quarter income increased by 10.5 percent from last year, from $24.7 million to $27.3 million. In early afternoon trading Wednesday, the company’s shares jumped more than 9 percent to $20.33.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article163734798.html#storylink=cpy

What happens if Monster bails early?

Monster's presence as the title sponsor isn't the important factor. They are reported to be paying $20-$25 million per year and are only signed through 2018. I would guess that most analysts believe it is a distinct possibility they won't be the title sponsor by 2020, let alone 2024. If they go away, another company will replace them and may pay even less. But even if that amount was $5 million annually, this is not the revenue that is propping up the whole enterprise. That would be the $700+ million of annual TV rights money that is locked in.

Monster's presence as the title sponsor isn't the important factor. They are reported to be paying $20-$25 million per year and are only signed through 2018. I would guess that most analysts believe it is a distinct possibility they won't be the title sponsor by 2020, let alone 2024. If they go away, another company will replace them and may pay even less. But even if that amount was $5 million annually, this is not the revenue that is propping up the whole enterprise. That would be the $700+ million of annual TV rights money that is locked in.
Well there is no guarantee that will be there either, that's until 2024 also correct? If NBC or Fox opts out, which i think could very well happen Nascar is done.

Neither 21CF or Comcast or whatever corporate monoliths own the Fox and NBC networks in the coming years is going to pay NASCAR hundreds of millions of dollars to not televise their races. Nor are they going to breach the contracts that are signed for that period through 2024.

Back
Top Bottom