Electric slide downward

Frighteningly terrible article with a misleading headline since there is no confirmation and it is speculative. Also, when they do add a hybrid element in 2022 or later, it will have no effect on the "rumble sounds" of the combustion engine.

Frighteningly terrible article with a misleading headline since there is no confirmation and it is speculative. Also, when they do add a hybrid element in 2022 or later, it will have no effect on the "rumble sounds" of the combustion engine.
Hybridization =/= Full on electric

F1 cars in addition with the ERS system push over 1000 hp easily. The cars today are faster than ever more so than the previous eras of the V8, V10, and V12. I love the sound of the previous eras, but man these cars are insane in themselves.

Also, I think with ERS in NASCAR could be quite badass and unnoticeable to an extent. Imagine these guys having the attachments to push another 75-150 go in deployment through corners? Managing deployment and such, it could be pretty cool if done well. It could offset the "550" hp rule and a touch more for drivers. Interesting to see how it plays out.

I've never understood this thing where the cars have to be so loud they destroy your hearing.

I remember when Michael Waltrip suggested making the cars quieter and everyone lost their collective ****. You can't actually hear the difference in the stands, but you can in the pits, and many of us would like to have our hearing when we're 50.

This 'article' had absolutely no statements attributed to NASCAR, no references to press releases from NASCAR, no quotes from anyone at any level of NASCAR, official or unofficial.

Call me when there's an official press release. Until then, the original article is troll spew.

When it is released (not if), I don't expect it to upset me much. It might give manufacturers a marketing boost regarding technologies they're already deploying. Maybe NASCAR can respond a little more quickly than it did implementing fuel injection.

Last edited:
Another speculative, terribly written article.
Enjoy dissecting this one y'all...
https://m.nascar.com/news-media/2018/05/29/brad-keselowski-blog-nascar-hybrid/

I have no problem with the article. It was written by a race car driver, not an English professor.
I also agree with most of what he wrote. In most of the world there is a growing concern on climate change. One very good way of helping that situation is to go with hybrid cars ( until electric is proven for every day commutes) and then double the price of gas to keep the industry afloat for awhile.
Change is inventive able, regardless if your talking dirty diapers or cars. I like the idea of modern cars being on the track. ( with some modifications) I just don't like the idea of all electric until someone gets a sound track that works with the throttle. :D

They’re cutting costs because the lower teams cannot compete yet they’re about to engineer their way to a 20 car Daytona 500 field, but yeah, let’s go the hybrid route.

Not one series has seen a gain going the hybrid route. Le man is down to just the Toyota’s, and most European and Australian fans are ready to bolt from f1. NASCAR needs to buck the trend, tell Toyota where to stick it, and just go with big noisy v8s.

They just had a power outage in northern CA that lasted over two days for over 1.5 million homes and businesses. The power company turned off power not because anything was broken but because a huge part of their maintenance and upgrades have been superseded by billions mandated by law to be spent on renewables. Because of wind damage to under-maintained power structure there was a horrific fire last year that destroyed an entire town. The power company was scared high winds and dry conditions might cause more damage to their rickety system and potentially cause fires.

The winds never got near as bad as they feared so after two/three days they turned everyone back on. Billions were lost in business productivity, spoiled food etc.

One thing the power company could not shut off was everyone’s internal combustion vehicles. They could still get around to help others in need. The people with electric cars were SOL after their batteries ran down because there was nowhere to re-charge. Also, they turned power off around midnight so most of those who had electric vehicles and were charging didn’t even have a full charge when they discovered power was out.

Electric cars may be the future but I can wait.

Will NASCAR allow for the addition of horsepower or will the HP still max out at 550?

This 'article' had absolutely no statements attributed to NASCAR, no references to press releases from NASCAR, no quotes from anyone at any level of NASCAR, official or unofficial.

Call me when there's an official press release. Until then, the original article is troll spew.

When it is released (not if), I don't expect it to upset me much. It might give manufacturers a marketing boost regarding technologies they're already deploying. Maybe NASCAR can respond a little more quickly than it did implementing fuel injection.
https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2019/0...t-expected-before-2021-toyota-executive-says/
This "Official" enough? There are quotes, Higher ups, and even people in "Official capacities" speaking on the subject. Spin away....

They just had a power outage in northern CA that lasted over two days for over 1.5 million homes and businesses. The power company turned off power not because anything was broken but because a huge part of their maintenance and upgrades have been superseded by billions mandated by law to be spent on renewables. Because of wind damage to under-maintained power structure there was a horrific fire last year that destroyed an entire town. The power company was scared high winds and dry conditions might cause more damage to their rickety system and potentially cause fires.

The winds never got near as bad as they feared so after two/three days they turned everyone back on. Billions were lost in business productivity, spoiled food etc.

One thing the power company could not shut off was everyone’s internal combustion vehicles. They could still get around to help others in need. The people with electric cars were SOL after their batteries ran down because there was nowhere to re-charge. Also, they turned power off around midnight so most of those who had electric vehicles and were charging didn’t even have a full charge when they discovered power was out.

That appears to have nothing to do with racing.

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2019/0...t-expected-before-2021-toyota-executive-says/
This "Official" enough? There are quotes, Higher ups, and even people in "Official capacities" speaking on the subject. Spin away....
Honestly, no. No dates, no implementation schedule, no discussion of testing, no specifications. Again, call me when NASCAR (not the manufacturers) officially announces those details.

I do indeed think it's coming, but everything you've linked to has only vague predictions. Unlike you, I'm not bothered by the pending introduction. I assume you're bothered, based on the word 'downward' in your discussion title.

You don't seem to understand what 'hybrid' entails in this context. IndyCar will in fact have a hybrid engine formula starting in 2022. By all reports the engines will produce more HP. They will be as loud or louder, as recently IndyCar execs have been touting a new slogan: fast, loud, and authentic.

Criticize NASCAR for their current low power / high downforce philosophy, and I'd be right with you. Freaking out over the words "hybrid" and "electric" is silly. It's mostly marketing to keep the manufacturers engaged at this stage.

I'm just posting links,with what I thought was a play on words for a title. I never said I was bothered.Enjoy the race today, and may your driver win, who ever it may be.

I have no problem with the article. It was written by a race car driver, not an English professor.
I also agree with most of what he wrote. In most of the world there is a growing concern on climate change. One very good way of helping that situation is to go with hybrid cars ( until electric is proven for every day commutes) and then double the price of gas to keep the industry afloat for awhile.
Change is inventive able, regardless if your talking dirty diapers or cars. I like the idea of modern cars being on the track. ( with some modifications) I just don't like the idea of all electric until someone gets a sound track that works with the throttle. :D

Double the price of gas for people not yet ready to go to hybrid is like charging someone $900 on their tax bill because they can't swing health insurance.

Also, hybrid owners are paying double for fuel too. So what, we are still stuck in ridiculous fuel price limbo for basically nothing?

In my state, the gas is taxed highest in the country. We voted for it. The money was then re-allocated for **** we didn't vote for. Let's just keep the gas price ******* to the bare minimum. Lol

Last edited:

Screenshot_20191009-095639_Facebook.jpg

Double the price of gas for people not yet ready to go to hybrid is like charging someone $900 on their tax bill because they can't swing health insurance.

Also, hybrid owners are paying double for fuel too. So what, we are still stuck in ridiculous fuel price limbo for basically nothing?

In my state, the gas is taxed highest in the country. We voted for it. The money was then re-allocated for sh!t we didn't vote for. Let's just keep the gas price ******* to the bare minimum. Lol
Again, nothing to do with racing.

Ok? The post I was responding to didn't have a whole lot to do with racing either.
A valid point. It's just that whenever the subject of electric or hybrid propulsion systems in race cars comes up, some seem to think personal car performance has something to with it.

In my state, the gas is taxed highest in the country. We voted for it. The money was then re-allocated for sh!t we didn't vote for. Let's just keep the gas price ******* to the bare minimum. Lol

You can't stop progress because of lying, thieving politicians.

You don't seem to understand what 'hybrid' entails in this context. IndyCar will in fact have a hybrid engine formula starting in 2022. By all reports the engines will produce more HP. They will be as loud or louder, as recently IndyCar execs have been touting a new slogan: fast, loud, and authentic.

Criticize NASCAR for their current low power / high downforce philosophy, and I'd be right with you. Freaking out over the words "hybrid" and "electric" is silly. It's mostly marketing to keep the manufacturers engaged at this stage.

Yeah, the new F-1 cars were supposed to sound great compared to the old ones ...... then reality kicked in

Back
Top Bottom